Battery Pack for Canon Powershot S80

Old November 18th 05, 04:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Battery Pack for Canon Powershot S80

I recently purchased an S80 and would like a second battery pack. I've
found the online prices for OEM batteries to be in the $50 range. There are
a plethora of non-OEM batteries available for much less. Is there a risk of
damaging my new camera with one of these less costly batteries? Is there a
reputable dealer who sells non-OEM or should I just suck it up and buy the
Canon?

Thanks for your help!
BEK

Old November 18th 05, 06:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 08:15:00 -0800, "BEK"
wrote:

I recently purchased an S80 and would like a second battery pack. I've
found the online prices for OEM batteries to be in the $50 range. There are
a plethora of non-OEM batteries available for much less. Is there a risk of
damaging my new camera with one of these less costly batteries? Is there a
reputable dealer who sells non-OEM or should I just suck it up and buy the
Canon?

I have an Powershot S410, and have both Canon and third party
batteries, both work fine in the S410.

One is made in China, no brand on the battery. The other is an
Energizer brand. Both are the same size as the original, fit in the
camera and charger. I alternate between the various batteries, have at
least two with me when I use the camera.

---
Bob Anderson*Bitwisebob
Eugene Oregon
Old November 18th 05, 06:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote:

Is there a
reputable dealer who sells non-OEM or should I just suck it up and buy the
Canon?

check TigerDirect
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_slc.asp?Nav=|c:1||c:39||c:1431|

---
Bob Anderson*Bitwisebob
Eugene Oregon
Old November 19th 05, 01:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote:

I recently purchased an S80 and would like a second battery pack. I've
found the online prices for OEM batteries to be in the $50 range. There are
a plethora of non-OEM batteries available for much less. Is there a risk of
damaging my new camera with one of these less costly batteries? Is there a
reputable dealer who sells non-OEM or should I just suck it up and buy the
Canon?

Thanks for your help!
BEK

Check out www.sterlingtek.com.

No problem with third party batteries. Use them in my 20D.

YMMV.

I got a stirlingtek battery for my S100.
The first few cycles it worked great, then it rapidly degraded and now I
can't even get off one shot with it before it dies.

If you go for one, I suggest keeping the paperwork so you can return it
if necessary.
Old November 24th 05, 04:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005, at 08:15:00 [GMT -0800] (03:15:00 Saturday, 19 November
2005 where I live) "BEK" wrote:

I recently purchased an S80

Apart from the battery issue, how do you find the camera, particularly the
quality of the photographs?

I have only had a brief chance to handle one, and I was concerned re the
screen at the back seeming to have no protection from scratches etc. (I need
to keep it in my briefcase).