Poynter Online: Slideshow of images from Hurricane Katrina

Old September 17th 05, 12:56 AM
Tony Polson

Default Poynter Online: Slideshow of images from Hurricane Katrina

Some remarkable photojournalism here.

**Warning: includes images that some people may find upsetting:**

http://www.poynterextra.org/Katrina/gallery/index.htm

Background at:

http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=68&aid=88304

Old September 17th 05, 03:55 AM
Robert C.

"Tony Polson" wrote in message
Some remarkable photojournalism here.

**Warning: includes images that some people may find upsetting:**

http://www.poynterextra.org/Katrina/gallery/index.htm

Background at:

http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=68&aid=88304

It leaves me speechless.

Katrina, I think, has been the strongest hurricane yet. These photographs
show the fury of nature, the nature of humans coming to the aid of others in
need, and unfortunately, those who profit in times of adversity and must
loot or create wrong.

~Robert C.

Old September 17th 05, 08:00 AM
Diane Epps

"Robert C." wrote in message
. ..
"Tony Polson" wrote in message
Some remarkable photojournalism here.

**Warning: includes images that some people may find upsetting:**

http://www.poynterextra.org/Katrina/gallery/index.htm

Background at:

http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=68&aid=88304

It leaves me speechless.

Fantastic photos, but can anyone explain to me why the Americans continue
to build their houses out of timber. Tornadoes destroy them, fire destroys
them, floods destroy them: what about bricks at least they are stronger
given their climatic extremes. I assume it is cheaper in the short term.

Old September 17th 05, 03:30 PM
Kinon O'cann

"Robert C." wrote in message
. ..
"Tony Polson" wrote in message
Some remarkable photojournalism here.

**Warning: includes images that some people may find upsetting:**

http://www.poynterextra.org/Katrina/gallery/index.htm

Background at:

http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=68&aid=88304

It leaves me speechless.

Katrina, I think, has been the strongest hurricane yet. These photographs
show the fury of nature, the nature of humans coming to the aid of others
in need, and unfortunately, those who profit in times of adversity and
must loot or create wrong.

Katrina was a strong storm, but the real tragedy here is the total lack of
preparedness by our own governments. We've known for decades that this may
happen, and we did nothing. This tragedy could have been much less if New
Orleans had levees that were sufficient.

~Robert C.

Old September 17th 05, 03:30 PM
Robert C.

"Diane Epps" wrote in message
. uk...

"Robert C." wrote in message
. ..
"Tony Polson" wrote in message
Some remarkable photojournalism here.

**Warning: includes images that some people may find upsetting:**

http://www.poynterextra.org/Katrina/gallery/index.htm

Background at:

http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=68&aid=88304

It leaves me speechless.

Fantastic photos, but can anyone explain to me why the Americans continue
to build their houses out of timber. Tornadoes destroy them, fire
destroys them, floods destroy them: what about bricks at least they are
stronger given their climatic extremes. I assume it is cheaper in the
short term.

You're right; look at the picture of the McDonald's: The building is still
standing although the windows are all blown out. Actually, I asked an
architect once why we build our houses out of wood, and his explanation was
due to our (in Canada) cold environment: wood is a good insulator. I wonder
if in the States it is the same reason: to insulate or for economic reasons
(?).

Old September 17th 05, 09:21 PM
James Philopena

"Diane Epps" wrote in message
. uk...

"Robert C." wrote in message
. ..
"Tony Polson" wrote in message
Some remarkable photojournalism here.

**Warning: includes images that some people may find upsetting:**

http://www.poynterextra.org/Katrina/gallery/index.htm

Background at:

http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=68&aid=88304

It leaves me speechless.

Fantastic photos, but can anyone explain to me why the Americans continue
to build their houses out of timber. Tornadoes destroy them, fire
destroys them, floods destroy them: what about bricks at least they are
stronger given their climatic extremes. I assume it is cheaper in the
short term.

Diane,

Houses and building of brick and mortar were also destroyed in the
ferocity of Hurricane Katrina. One cannot imagine the overwhelming strength
of a category five (or just under like Katrina when she hit land) hurricane
unless one has lived through one. Nothing is safe.

Jim

Old September 17th 05, 11:32 PM
Alan Browne

Robert C. wrote:

You're right; look at the picture of the McDonald's: The building is still
standing although the windows are all blown out. Actually, I asked an
architect once why we build our houses out of wood, and his explanation was
due to our (in Canada) cold environment: wood is a good insulator. I wonder
if in the States it is the same reason: to insulate or for economic reasons
(?).

The amount of wood between the inside and the outside is nothing that
adds to insulation. It's there for structure. Brick cladding (or wood
clapboard or alu or...) with thick 3/4" tarboard to cut the wind and the
space in between filled with fibreglass insulation. The wood adds
almost no insulation value ... covers only a few % (if that) of the
surface. If the house were a log cabin, then it would be both structure
and some insulation, but it's nowhere as efficient (on a volume, weight
or cost basis) as 3.75" of pink fibreglass or blue foam insulation.

Wood works in most of North America as a construction material because:

-it is plentiful and cheap here
-the humidity level is relatively low year round (compared to most of
Europe) in most places.
-allows for high variation in modeling and re-modeling of houses. Many
"do-it-yourself-ers" gleefully tear down walls and add new ones or add
additions to their houses. Were our houses made of concrete, there
would be much less opportunity to do so.

There are many houses here well over 200 years old that are wood frame
with a stone cladding. No problem. As long as there is "breathing"
space, the wood is good indefinitely.

Cheers,
Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old September 18th 05, 12:37 AM
Lorem Ipsum

Fantastic photos, but can anyone explain to me why the Americans continue
to build their houses out of timber. Tornadoes destroy them, fire destroys
them, floods destroy them: what about bricks at least they are stronger
given their climatic extremes. I assume it is cheaper in the short term.

Bricks are only the facade. The interior walls, the rest of the building is
wood.

Old September 18th 05, 05:39 AM
McLeod

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 10:30:46 -0400, "Kinon O'cann"
Yes.it's.me.Bowser wrote:

This tragedy could have been much less if New
Orleans had levees that were sufficient.

I just heard on CNN it would have cost 2.5 billion to repair them the
way the Engineer Corps wanted to. Now the estimated cost is 200
billion.
Old September 18th 05, 06:45 AM
William Graham

Yes.it's.me.Bowser wrote:

This tragedy could have been much less if New
Orleans had levees that were sufficient.

I just heard on CNN it would have cost 2.5 billion to repair them the
way the Engineer Corps wanted to. Now the estimated cost is 200
billion.

Yes. Losing a good horse is frequently 100x more expensive that putting a
good lock on the barn door......