Photography Magazines - Recommendations?

Old September 16th 05, 07:43 PM
David Geesaman

Default Photography Magazines - Recommendations?

"Alan Wonsowski" wrote in message
Hi Everyone,

Any recommendations for a photo magazine that is geared to the DSLR
amature photographer?

Speaking as a recent amateur dSLR beginner, I don't think magazines are
the way to go. Or if you do, try to find the ones that are more about
techniques and general information rather than equipment.
The reason being, that magazines rely heavily on advertising from the
big brands, and that makes any equipment discussions either really watered
down (like a press release) or jaded. I've found that forums like
fredmiranda.com and this group are much more informative, and certainly not
jaded. Googling this group from their groups search page works very nicely
for getting information without starting new threads and waiting for
answers.

Dave

Old September 16th 05, 08:15 PM
John

"Alan Wonsowski" wrote in message
Hi Everyone,

Any recommendations for a photo magazine that is geared to the DSLR
amature photographer?

Thanks,
Alan

Digital Photo

Old September 16th 05, 09:25 PM
SuperFly

"Alan Wonsowski" wrote in message
Hi Everyone,

Any recommendations for a photo magazine that is geared to the DSLR
amature photographer?

Thanks,
Alan

Also try PC Photo. Fairly reasonable in price and content. Just don't
evaluate the magazine by its website (one of the worst websites I've seen in
recent history). You may want to hit a local library or large bookstore
and do some browsing. Just like photography, it's high subjective towards
the reader / viewer. Let us know what you find!!

SF

Old September 17th 05, 01:05 AM
Rich

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 14:12:51 -0400, Alan Wonsowski
wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Any recommendations for a photo magazine that is geared to the DSLR
amature photographer?

Thanks,
Alan

With the timeliness of the internet, and the myriad resources for
free, of what value are magazines, except to sell product for their
advertisers?
-Rich
Old September 17th 05, 11:46 AM
Steve Franklin

With the timeliness of the internet, and the myriad resources for
free, of what value are magazines, except to sell product for their
advertisers?
-Rich

For once Rich - I couldn't agree more.

I think the publishing world as we knew it is gone.

I think the internet is killing magazines and the falling circulation makes
the magazines more expensive to buy which in turn makes the internet even
more attractive.

I know a few aussies use this NG, have you checked out the cost of some of
your fav mags now? They're like $20 -$30. Why would you spend that much
money for a decent RAW article say, when you could just go to a NG like this
or google for everything you would ever need...

I think their days are numbered....well certainly only the fittest will
survive....

Old September 17th 05, 06:47 PM
DoN. Nichols

According to Steve Franklin :

With the timeliness of the internet, and the myriad resources for
free, of what value are magazines, except to sell product for their
advertisers?
-Rich

For once Rich - I couldn't agree more.

I think the publishing world as we knew it is gone.

I think the internet is killing magazines and the falling circulation makes
the magazines more expensive to buy which in turn makes the internet even
more attractive.

I know a few aussies use this NG, have you checked out the cost of some of
your fav mags now? They're like $20 -$30. Why would you spend that much
money for a decent RAW article say, when you could just go to a NG like this
or google for everything you would ever need...

Only one problem -- Newsgroups are getting harder to access.
First, AOL drops all newsgroups. I believe that MSN has also dropped
news support, though I am not sure. More recently, my ISP cut off all
newsfeeds to private news servers (such as mine), and a week later they
shut down the news server which allowed access to the newsgroups. (They
have been bought by another, larger, ISP.) Contact to the larger ISP's
help desk showed that they did have a news server, but they would not
open access to me, as they were planning to shut that one down within a
week as well.

So -- for the moment, I am using newsguy, while transitioning
to a different ISP (at a significant savings, BTW), which will allow me
a newsfeed again.

I think their days are numbered....well certainly only the fittest will
survive....

But the days of newsgroups may well be numbered as well. And
without them, you would have to depend on search engines (and knowing
what to search for) to locate the necessary websites. An example of
something which I discovered via this newsgroup was the DCRAW software,
which lets me process raw files from both the D70 and my older NC2000e/c
(Nikon N90s film camera converted to digital by Kodak for the AP),
without having to use a Windows machine or a Mac.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Old September 17th 05, 09:56 PM
Alan Browne

Alan Wonsowski wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Any recommendations for a photo magazine that is geared to the DSLR
amature photographer?

Chasseur d'Images (France), while as heavily loaded with adverts as the
others, does have a lot of articles and a long and consistent equipment
test series (film + digital).

If you can't read French, however...

Nature Photographer is a favourite of mine (two or three per year) and
now leans more towards digital.

Photo Technique is good, but a little more 'serious'. haven't bought
one in a while, so I don't know if it has leaned much towards D.

Having said that, the internet offers a lot of content that may be of
interest to you including:

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/ and forums, and so on
http://www.photo.net/
http://www.photozone.de/
http://www.nyip.com/

and many, many more ...

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old September 18th 05, 12:49 AM
Alan Bremner

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 20:05:07 -0400, Rich wrote:

With the timeliness of the internet, and the myriad resources for
free, of what value are magazines, except to sell product for their
advertisers?

A beautiful image still looks best on glossy paper, imo. I find it
easier to fully appreciate a photograph that way, rather than on a
monitor. I also enjoy relaxing with my feet up, a good espresso in my
hand and a magazine on my lap. Sometimes it's good to get away from
the 'puter....

Al
--
[This space intentionally left blank]
Old September 18th 05, 07:10 PM
Brion K. Lienhart

Alan Bremner wrote:
On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 20:05:07 -0400, Rich wrote:

With the timeliness of the internet, and the myriad resources for
free, of what value are magazines, except to sell product for their
advertisers?

A beautiful image still looks best on glossy paper, imo. I find it
easier to fully appreciate a photograph that way, rather than on a
monitor. I also enjoy relaxing with my feet up, a good espresso in my
hand and a magazine on my lap. Sometimes it's good to get away from
the 'puter....

Al

It's kind of hard to balance a monitor on your lap when you're on the
can as well.
Old September 19th 05, 01:50 AM
no_name

wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Any recommendations for a photo magazine that is geared to the DSLR
amature photographer?

Thanks,
Alan

With the timeliness of the internet, and the myriad resources for
free, of what value are magazines, except to sell product for their
advertisers?
-Rich

They're still easier to read while you're in the WC.