First modelling assignment

Old September 14th 05, 05:28 AM
Colin D

Gormless wrote:

"DD (Rox)" wrote in message

http://www.dallasdahms.com/Fashion.htm

Your site really doesn't seem to work well in Opera or Mozilla .... unless
it's just a strange design.

The site seems to work ok for me using Opera 8.02. Clicking on a
thumbnail opens the image in a new window - beware that pop-up
preventers don't stop it - and either closing the window or clicking on
the 'close' button below the image will return to the thumbnail screen.

Didn't work on Netscape 4.8 though, my usual newsreader.

Colin D.
Old September 14th 05, 05:30 AM
Eugene

Actually even in IE 6 it has some problems. I had to tell it to "allow
popups". If the popup code is done properly this shouldn't happen, even
with XP SP2.

Old September 14th 05, 08:07 AM
DD (Rox)

says...

"DD (Rox)" wrote in message

http://www.dallasdahms.com/Fashion.htm

Your site really doesn't seem to work well in Opera or Mozilla .... unless
it's just a strange design.

I'll check that out, thanks. It was working previously without any
problems, but I think it might have to do with the Zoombrowser behaviour
I am using in Dreamweaver. For some reason whenever I update the core
template, I have to re-update those behaviours. Doesn't seem to be a
problem in IE.

--
Look. See. Click. Share.
www.leica.co.za
Old September 14th 05, 08:14 AM
DD (Rox)

says...
DD (Rox) wrote:
I was asked by a friend to photograph her daughter who is entering quite
a prestigious pageant (Miss Teen SA) next week. Nervous as hell photo-
graphing a cute 15 year-old with her Mom breathing down my neck at every
shot! Luckily Simone knew exactly how to pose herself and I think she
has a very bright future in modelling.

Anyway, I think I did okay. Here are some of the images from the shoot:

http://www.dallasdahms.com/Fashion.htm

All shot in RAW using the D70 with the 18-70mm DX lens set to f/8, an
SB-800 on camera at ISO 500. No sharpening, some lifting of levels as I
was shooting at -1/3.

Nothing wrong with the photography but all the photos show up one of the
D70s worst traits... Shadow detail is lost. I believe there are some
custom contrast curves (not free) which help this problem... But then
we've been down this road before, haven't we Dallas?

I've since stopped using the custom curves in the camera and I also shot
this in RAW. What is it with you guys and shadow detail??? Scared that
the boogeyman might be hiding in there?

I wasn't trying to expose for the shadows, I was exposing for the model
and I used a fill flash to emphasise her.

--
Look. See. Click. Share.
www.leica.co.za
Old September 14th 05, 08:59 AM
William Graham

"DD (Rox)" wrote in message
says...

"DD (Rox)" wrote in message

http://www.dallasdahms.com/Fashion.htm

Your site really doesn't seem to work well in Opera or Mozilla ....
unless
it's just a strange design.

I'll check that out, thanks. It was working previously without any
problems, but I think it might have to do with the Zoombrowser behaviour
I am using in Dreamweaver. For some reason whenever I update the core
template, I have to re-update those behaviours. Doesn't seem to be a
problem in IE.

I got a message: "Popup blocked on Google toolbar". I clicked on the little
icon, and it said, "Always allow popups from Dallas Dahms" (or something
like that), and then I can expand the pictures to full size. I am using
Outlook Express version 6.

Old September 14th 05, 09:22 AM
Pix on Canvas

DD (Rox) wrote:

I've since stopped using the custom curves in the camera and I also shot
this in RAW. What is it with you guys and shadow detail??? Scared that
the boogeyman might be hiding in there?

I wasn't trying to expose for the shadows, I was exposing for the model
and I used a fill flash to emphasise her.

I understand all that Dallas but you really do need to listen to people
telling you important information which might improve your photography.
What is the point of posting pictures for comment, if you rant at people
who comment on them?

It might surprise you to learn I think highly of some of your photos.
Unfortunately the D70 images of yours I've seen, do nothing for me.

I print photos for the local newspaper as well as for other Wedding
Photographers who use predominantly Nikon cameras. One of the journo
users her own D70 and it's images from this camera I notice most are
lacking in any shadow detail.

As you probably know, I recently bought a Nikon D2X. It too has a
relatively narrow contrast range out of the box, compared to my Canon
cameras. The culprit's are sRGB colour space, colour saturation and
contrast.

By flattening out the image before developing and using a wide gamut
colour space, much more detail is available for enhancement. I now shoot
with extremely flat settings in all my cameras and if I need to saturate
or pick up the contrast, I do it in Photoshop. The results are much more
acceptable to my clients.

The journo who gives me grief with her photos, decided to use her own
camera because she didn't like "re-setting" the company cameras after
other Photographers had used them... I have no problem finding shadow
detail in their images!
--

Douglas,
My name is but a handle on the doorway to my life.
Old September 14th 05, 11:33 AM
DD (Rox)

says...

"DD (Rox)" wrote in message

says...

"DD (Rox)" wrote in message

http://www.dallasdahms.com/Fashion.htm

Your site really doesn't seem to work well in Opera or Mozilla ....
unless
it's just a strange design.

I'll check that out, thanks. It was working previously without any
problems, but I think it might have to do with the Zoombrowser behaviour
I am using in Dreamweaver. For some reason whenever I update the core
template, I have to re-update those behaviours. Doesn't seem to be a
problem in IE.

I got a message: "Popup blocked on Google toolbar". I clicked on the little
icon, and it said, "Always allow popups from Dallas Dahms" (or something
like that), and then I can expand the pictures to full size. I am using
Outlook Express version 6.

Yep, that's the way it should work. You have to allow both pop-ups and
Javascript, even if only temporarily. Rest assured I don't intend to
ever have any advertising on that site.

--
Look. See. Click. Share.
www.leica.co.za
Old September 14th 05, 11:43 AM
DD (Rox)

says...
I understand all that Dallas but you really do need to listen to people
telling you important information which might improve your photography.
What is the point of posting pictures for comment, if you rant at people
who comment on them?

Sorry, I wasn't intending to rant, but reading what I said again I
suppose that's how it came across. Appy Polly Logies!

It might surprise you to learn I think highly of some of your photos.
Unfortunately the D70 images of yours I've seen, do nothing for me.

You've probably gathered by now that I am not wild about digital either.
I only use it when I don't want to waste any film. In this case the
Mommy wanted the pictures in a hurry so the digital was the answer.

I print photos for the local newspaper as well as for other Wedding
Photographers who use predominantly Nikon cameras. One of the journo
users her own D70 and it's images from this camera I notice most are
lacking in any shadow detail.

Oh well. Can't please everybody.

As you probably know, I recently bought a Nikon D2X. It too has a
relatively narrow contrast range out of the box, compared to my Canon
cameras. The culprit's are sRGB colour space, colour saturation and
contrast.

IIRC I am using the Adobe RGB (1998) colour space. Would that be a
contributing factor? I would love a D2X but I think I will wait for a
full frame pro body before I buy another digital SLR.

By flattening out the image before developing and using a wide gamut
colour space, much more detail is available for enhancement. I now shoot
with extremely flat settings in all my cameras and if I need to saturate
or pick up the contrast, I do it in Photoshop. The results are much more
acceptable to my clients.

I also tend to have moved away from letting the camera do the work when
I shoot digital, but then again, it's not that often. I still haven't
even shot 3000 frames with that D70! And it's got a dust splodge on the
sensor now too.

The journo who gives me grief with her photos, decided to use her own
camera because she didn't like "re-setting" the company cameras after
other Photographers had used them... I have no problem finding shadow
detail in their images!

But why is shadow detail so important, particularly in images like the
ones I just shared?

--
Look. See. Click. Share.
www.leica.co.za