Tripod Advice Please

Old September 5th 05, 04:16 AM
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

Default Tripod Advice Please

I need some advice on a tripod. My wife and I have been sharing an old
clunky Slik 504QF (not the II) which is really made for video but it's
worked well for us to this point. Lately we've found that one tripod just
isn't enough so I want to buy a new one.

First I'd like to spend no more then $200.00.

I'm looking for something that I can attach a strap to and sling over my
back when I go hiking so I'd like something that's relatively light weight
and compact when folded.
I'd like it to work low to the ground as well as at standing height.
I believe a tilt pan or ball head will be fine but I'd like to hear some
comparisons, advantages, disadvantages etc.

I realize that my budget won't afford me the best possible option but I have
to believe that there is something out there that comes close to my
requirements. I'm willing to compromise a bit as needed.

As to what we'll be mounting on the tripod... The wife uses primarily an
Elan 7ne with either a 28-135 IS or a 75-300 IS. I use a 20D and a 300D
with a 28-135 IS or a 100-400L IS

Rob
"A disturbing new study finds that studies are disturbing"

Old September 5th 05, 06:48 AM
GTO

For less than US$200, you will not get a decent carbon fiber tripod. Hence,
you should look at the aluminum tripods from Bogen/Manfrotto.

I purchased the Bogen/Manfrotto 3021BPro tripod legs (black) for US$149.95
with the 488RC4 Bogen/Manfrotto midi ball head with RC4 rapid connect for
US$95.00. It's a great combination. Of course, you will also need the
Manfrotto 3044 long strap for US$29.95 or something similar.

Gregor

Old September 5th 05, 08:55 AM
ASAAR

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 23:16:28 -0400, Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:

First I'd like to spend no more then $200.00.

I'm looking for something that I can attach a strap to and sling over my
back when I go hiking so I'd like something that's relatively light weight
and compact when folded.
I'd like it to work low to the ground as well as at standing height.
I believe a tilt pan or ball head will be fine but I'd like to hear some
comparisons, advantages, disadvantages etc.

The Benbo Trekker Mk II may meet your spec's. B&H has them in
their large catalog so a picture and description should be on their
website. Its legs can splay out individually, allowing it to get
very close to the ground, as well as being able to more easily
accomodate uneven terrain, and the bottom leg is supposedly
waterproof. The head is attached to an arm that allows the camera
to be extended to places a regular tripod wouldn't allow. The "kit"
version includes the Pro Ball Head and a carry bag and is listed in
the catalog at $179.95. From the picture in the catalog it appears
that the Pro Ball Head includes a panning base. It weighs 4.5
pounds, collapses to 33" and extends to 61". There's also several
other models including the larger Benbo #2, which weighs 8.27 pounds
and extends to 101". The catalog says that the Pro Ball Head is
capable of supporting SLRs equipped with long lenses. The lower end
of the center columns of the tripods have hooks that allows you to
hang weights from them if additional stability is needed.

Old September 5th 05, 01:32 PM
Jeremy Nixon

Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:

First I'd like to spend no more then $200.00.

Wow, that's pretty funny. You should do stand-up!

Having said that, I echo the other recommendation: go for the Bogen/Manfrotto
3021BN with 488RC4 head. It'll be a bit more than $200, but only a bit, and
you won't get anything nearly as good for $200.

Note: the RC2 version of the head has a smaller and more convenient-looking
quick release assembly, and the RC4 is described as being appropriate for
large-format cameras. Stick with the RC4 anyway. Really.

As to what we'll be mounting on the tripod... The wife uses primarily an
Elan 7ne with either a 28-135 IS or a 75-300 IS. I use a 20D and a 300D
with a 28-135 IS or a 100-400L IS

The above tripod and head will not suffice at 400mm. You can get away with
300mm if you use a cable release or wireless remote, don't touch the camera
at all, and use mirror lockup; or use a high enough shutter speed. The
experience, however, will convince you that a better tripod is a good
investment. (I honestly don't know whether IS will help or hurt in that
situation, but it's probably worth a shot trying it.)

--
Jeremy |
Old September 5th 05, 04:29 PM
Jim

"Robert R Kircher, Jr." wrote in message
I need some advice on a tripod. My wife and I have been sharing an old
clunky Slik 504QF (not the II) which is really made for video but it's
worked well for us to this point. Lately we've found that one tripod just
isn't enough so I want to buy a new one.

First I'd like to spend no more then $200.00.

Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 is the one for you.

I'm looking for something that I can attach a strap to and sling over my
back when I go hiking so I'd like something that's relatively light weight
and compact when folded.
I'd like it to work low to the ground as well as at standing height.
I believe a tilt pan or ball head will be fine but I'd like to hear some
comparisons, advantages, disadvantages etc.

I realize that my budget won't afford me the best possible option but I
have to believe that there is something out there that comes close to my
requirements. I'm willing to compromise a bit as needed.

Everybody has a budget. Everybody has to compromise somewhere.

As to what we'll be mounting on the tripod... The wife uses primarily an
Elan 7ne with either a 28-135 IS or a 75-300 IS. I use a 20D and a 300D
with a 28-135 IS or a 100-400L IS

The 3265 ball grip head is adequate for your use. You ought to keep the
total weight at no more than 6 pounds.
If, for example, you attempt to make shots of the moon, you will probably
find (as I did) that this head will be deficient. The 3021 is none to
sturdy for this application either. Of course, you can only take shots of a
full moon during a very limited time frame.
Jim

Old September 5th 05, 05:13 PM
Tony Polson

ASAAR wrote:

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 23:16:28 -0400, Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:

First I'd like to spend no more then $200.00.

I'm looking for something that I can attach a strap to and sling over my
back when I go hiking so I'd like something that's relatively light weight
and compact when folded.
I'd like it to work low to the ground as well as at standing height.
I believe a tilt pan or ball head will be fine but I'd like to hear some
comparisons, advantages, disadvantages etc.

The Benbo Trekker Mk II may meet your spec's.

The Benbo Trekker is nowhere near stable enough for a 300mm lens on a
35mm camera, let alone the long end of a 100-400mm zoom on a Canon
20D. That equates to the field of view of a 640mm lens on 35mm, and
the Trekker isn't remotely suitable for that.

I would recommend the Manfrotto/Bogen 055/3021 Pro, which has a
detachable center column that can be used horizontally for low shots.

The OP should also spend time learning about tripod heads. People
tend to have a strong preference for either ball heads or pan and tilt
(3-way) heads, so it is best to find which you prefer before buying.
Take your cameras and lenses to the photo store and try the available
heads with the gear you use.

Old September 5th 05, 06:02 PM
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

"Tony Polson" wrote in message
ASAAR wrote:

[...]

Thanks Tony and everyone else who answered. I'm glad some of you found my
request amusing. ;-) I wish I had more money to spend in this right now
but unfortunately I don't.

As to ball vs. pan/tilt, I've noticed that all the recommendations are for a
ball head. I've very interested in opinions as to why one would be
preferred over the other.

TIA

--

Rob

Old September 5th 05, 07:49 PM
ASAAR

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 17:13:35 +0100, Tony Polson wrote:

The Benbo Trekker is nowhere near stable enough for a 300mm lens on a
35mm camera, let alone the long end of a 100-400mm zoom on a Canon
20D. That equates to the field of view of a 640mm lens on 35mm, and
the Trekker isn't remotely suitable for that.

It's far more than adequate, especially if the alternative is to
do without because of weight or price. Did you miss the word
"Trekker" in the name? The 3021 Pro that you prefer is a decent
tripod, but with the addition of a head you're near (for the Micro
Ball Head at $31.95) the $200 limit, or well above, as most of the
others are quite a bit more expensive, some priced several times
higher than the tripod alone. And the Trekker does weigh less.
Either one would do a good job, but as I already said, the
independent leg articulation of the Trekker makes it uniquely
suitable for ease of use in uneven terrain.

Old September 5th 05, 07:59 PM
Tony Polson

"Robert R Kircher, Jr." wrote:

Thanks Tony and everyone else who answered. I'm glad some of you found my
request amusing. ;-) I wish I had more money to spend in this right now
but unfortunately I don't.

Your budget is reasonable. We all have to work within a budget. ;-)

As to ball vs. pan/tilt, I've noticed that all the recommendations are for a
ball head. I've very interested in opinions as to why one would be
preferred over the other.

Pan and tilt is a 2-way head, used for video. For most still
photography you need a 3-way head so you can flip the camera 90
degrees to change from landscape to portrait format.

With a 3 way head, you adjust each setting (pan, tilt, flip) one at a
time by loosening a clamp, making the adjustment and re-tightening.
With a ball head, you can adjust all three settings together at the
same time. That is basically the difference, and which one you prefer
is a very personal thing.

Some 3-way heads offer fine adjustment with a geared thumbscrew. In
my experience that is the very best type of three way head, because
there is always a danger that tightening the clamps can throw off the
setting you just made. With the thumbscrew you can make precise
adjustments very quickly. However, they are fairly expensive.

With ball heads, you get what you pay for. Cheap ball heads often go
completely floppy as you loosen the clamp. The best ball heads allow
you to make fine adjustments without fear of losing control.

Unfortunately the best ball heads (Arca, Kirk, Acratech, Wimberley)
cost more then your total budget, so you should take your cameras and
lenses with you to the store and spend a couple of hours trying the
ones that are within your budget. There is a huge variation between
makes and models - try mounting your heaviest camera/lens combination
and then try making small adjustments. With cheaper ball heads, each
individual ball head may perform very differently to others thanks to
manufacturing tolerances, so make sure that you buy the exact one you
liked, not a similar one off the shelf, one that you haven't tried.

Tripod heads to avoid include the 3-way Manfrotto 460Mg, which lacks
rigidity to the extent that it vibrates alarmingly in the wind, and
any ball head with the name Velbon on it. Velbon ball heads are made
from very soft alloy and are not sufficiently firm and stable to give
any confidence, especially when supporting expensive cameras.

Good luck!

Old September 5th 05, 08:03 PM
ASAAR

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 12:32:55 -0000, Jeremy Nixon wrote:

Note: the RC2 version of the head has a smaller and more convenient-looking
quick release assembly, and the RC4 is described as being appropriate for
large-format cameras. Stick with the RC4 anyway. Really.

Good advice, but which RC4? My catalog show the 488RC4 (Midi Ball
Head) at $95 and the 490RC4 (Maxi Ball Head) at $178.95. There's
also a 490 Maxi Ball Head for $160, which lacks the 490RC4's
quick-release plate, secondary safety catch and spirit levels.

The above tripod and head will not suffice at 400mm. You can get away with
300mm if you use a cable release or wireless remote, don't touch the camera
at all, and use mirror lockup; or use a high enough shutter speed. The
experience, however, will convince you that a better tripod is a good
investment. (I honestly don't know whether IS will help or hurt in that
situation, but it's probably worth a shot trying it.)

There may be exceptions, but everything I've read about IS
indicates that it should always be disabled when tripods are used.
I guess that ideally one would have the choice of several tripods,
so the best one that's still practical to use could be selected.