Ideal Color Film

Old April 22nd 05, 04:30 AM
format

Default Ideal Color Film

What color print film is suggested for landscapes and seascapes.....I am
doing my regular trek to Nova Scotia.. Colors can be intense....Very green
grass and the ocean very blue on a sunny day......I particularily like to
photograph some of the colorful old wooden boats moored to the docks in some
of the little villiages and hamlets.....I go there often visiting family and
friends....This trip i would like to concentrate on my hobby....
I use a Nikon F3...with various lenses....widest being 28 and longest
(75-150) zoom....I always use a tripod where possible....so slower film is
ok.....
Enlargments will be mostly 11x14....with a possible 16x20...occasionally....
I also have a medium format ...twin lens (fixed lens) i will be using.....
Suggestions will be appreciated......
Merv

Old April 22nd 05, 11:54 AM
s crinks

format wrote:
What color print film is suggested for landscapes and seascapes.....I am
doing my regular trek to Nova Scotia.. Colors can be intense....Very green
grass and the ocean very blue on a sunny day......I particularily like to
photograph some of the colorful old wooden boats moored to the docks in some
of the little villiages and hamlets.....I go there often visiting family and
friends....This trip i would like to concentrate on my hobby....
I use a Nikon F3...with various lenses....widest being 28 and longest
(75-150) zoom....I always use a tripod where possible....so slower film is
ok.....
Enlargments will be mostly 11x14....with a possible 16x20...occasionally....
I also have a medium format ...twin lens (fixed lens) i will be using.....
Suggestions will be appreciated......
Merv

Fuji Reala? It's very pleasing with it's colour balance in my
experience. Slightly warm.

If you want to keep the colours under control then NPS is nice. I also
think that if you want the colours to have a bit more oomph to them you
can rate NPS at 100.

Simon.

Old April 22nd 05, 02:38 PM
Robert Feinman

In article , says...
What color print film is suggested for landscapes and seascapes.....I am
doing my regular trek to Nova Scotia.. Colors can be intense....Very green
grass and the ocean very blue on a sunny day......I particularily like to
photograph some of the colorful old wooden boats moored to the docks in some
of the little villiages and hamlets.....I go there often visiting family and
friends....This trip i would like to concentrate on my hobby....
I use a Nikon F3...with various lenses....widest being 28 and longest
(75-150) zoom....I always use a tripod where possible....so slower film is
ok.....
Enlargments will be mostly 11x14....with a possible 16x20...occasionally....
I also have a medium format ...twin lens (fixed lens) i will be using.....
Suggestions will be appreciated......
Merv

I suggest Kodak or Fuji 100 speed color negative film. The various types
are not really that different. If you want your 35mm and 120 to match
choose a pro version that is available in both sizes.
A lot depends on what you are planning to do with the images. If you
are going to scan them and print digitally you can adjust color balance,
contrast and saturation at that point.
If you are going to have them printed on conventional photo paper by a
local photofinisher I suggest running a couple of test rolls with
different types of film and see which gives you the results you like
best.
To get 16x20 from 35mm is very difficult without extreme care in
focusing and eliminating camera shake.
Color negative film has great exposure latitude so you can expose for
the shadows and not get the sky and clouds blown out. Whether your
photofinisher will print them properly is another matter.

--
Robert D Feinman
http://robertdfeinman.com
Old April 24th 05, 03:00 PM
Xavier Boyer via PhotoKB.com

Well, if you're not only focused to negative films, try the Velvia50. It's
the best film to get vivid colors with finest details. You just have to be
aware of an accurate exposure, as with any slide films. Prefer a slight
under-exposure (0.5 IL) on the colors you want to emphasize.

Old April 27th 05, 11:38 AM
Andy Davidson

[Xavier Boyer via PhotoKB.com wrote in rec.photo.film+labs]
Well, if you're not only focused to negative films, try the Velvia50. It's
the best film to get vivid colors with finest details. You just have to be
aware of an accurate exposure, as with any slide films. Prefer a slight
under-exposure (0.5 IL) on the colors you want to emphasize.

.... but definitely test first. Underexposing Velvia can produce
very, very vivid results that aren't to everyone's tastes.

I'm a massive colour fan, last time I shot on Velvia, it was on holiday
looking out over the Pacific, and I had a strong polariser on. But
you can have too much of a good thing - bracket widely.

--
http://fotoserve.com/ - Prints, Slides, Posters, Mugs, T-shirts,,
Calendars, Jigsaws, Tableware, Caricatures, Greetings cards, Picture

Old April 28th 05, 08:11 PM
\Smitty\

I'd use Velvia if I were you rather than print film. If you insist on
printfilm Reala is a good one for that type of use. Both come in 35 and 120.
You will prolly get as many different suggestions as there are people on
this list.
Smitty

Old April 29th 05, 01:20 AM
Jack Campin - bogus address

What color print film is suggested for landscapes and seascapes...
I am doing my regular trek to Nova Scotia.. Colors can be intense...
Very green grass and the ocean very blue on a sunny day.

I'd use Velvia if I were you rather than print film. If you insist on
printfilm Reala is a good one for that type of use.

Seconded on Velvia, not Reala. Reala is low-contrast, intended for
people pictures. Agfa Ultra, if it's still made, is the nearest
print-film equivalent to Velvia. Otherwise just use an ordinary
100 ASA film and downrate it a bit.

Old April 29th 05, 11:35 AM
Philip Homburg

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
What color print film is suggested for landscapes and seascapes...
I am doing my regular trek to Nova Scotia.. Colors can be intense...
Very green grass and the ocean very blue on a sunny day.

I'd use Velvia if I were you rather than print film. If you insist on
printfilm Reala is a good one for that type of use.

Seconded on Velvia, not Reala. Reala is low-contrast, intended for
people pictures. Agfa Ultra, if it's still made, is the nearest
print-film equivalent to Velvia. Otherwise just use an ordinary
100 ASA film and downrate it a bit.

The advantage of a low-contrast film like Reala it that you can
use it for high contrast scenes. If there are enough highly saturated
colors then Reala will pick them up. It is dull grey (overcast) weather
that poses most problems. An advantage of Reala is the extremely fine
grain. Large prints tend to suffer from lack of sharpness before the
grain becomes annoying.