Really Impressive Bokeh-Old Polaroid Lenses

Old April 24th 04, 10:11 PM
Jim-Ed Browne

Default Really Impressive Bokeh-Old Polaroid Lenses

Check out the optics in the old rollfilm consumer Polaroids sometime.
I'm not sure what the best way to use them with a modern system camera
might be, but I've seen them put on small technical and press cameras.
I've also seen the 80mm or so front standard assenblies of the old
Pathfinders mounted on tubes for use with 35mm focal plane cameras.
They can be used then with aperture priority or by figuring out the
f-stops of the Waterhouse stops.

You want bokeh, there it is.
Old April 25th 04, 01:01 AM
Bandicoot

"Minolta shooter (Colyn)"
wrote in message ...
On 24 Apr 2004 14:11:43 -0700, (Jim-Ed Browne)
wrote:

Check out the optics in the old rollfilm consumer Polaroids sometime.
I'm not sure what the best way to use them with a modern system camera
might be, but I've seen them put on small technical and press cameras.
I've also seen the 80mm or so front standard assenblies of the old
Pathfinders mounted on tubes for use with 35mm focal plane cameras.
They can be used then with aperture priority or by figuring out the
f-stops of the Waterhouse stops.

You want bokeh, there it is.

I put a Wollensak Raptar 127mm f/4.5 lens from a pathfinder 110 on a
model 250 pack camera.. never thought to try it on a 35..

If I don't sell the camera, I might try it..

One of my 'when-I-get-around-to-it' projects is to drill a hole in a metal
Pentax body cap to mount a Polaroid MP4 Prontor shutter in. I can then use
my MP4 lenses on a 35mm camera with bellows, or indeed in the field with
moderate convenience by using a helicoid extension tube.

Any of the MP4 lenses could be used, and I expect I'd get infinity focus
with the 135mm and possibly the 127mm with the helicoid, probably not with
the 105mm or less. That would then be a 135mm portrait lens with a leaf
shutter that would sync. flash at any speed - stick an auxilliary finder in
the hotshoe and it wouldn't be impossibly inconvenient to use.

But the real reason I want to play about with this is for macro work. Even
with MLU a focal plane shutter produces more movement than a leaf shutter,
and with the 35mm and 17mm lenses one is talking serious magnification.

May or may not be worthwhile, but I have (and use) the lenses already and
have the body cap and a spare shutter so what's to lose? If it works out I
might make one of these up for my 6x6 system as well, though I doubt I'd get
infinity focus on it.

Peter

Old April 25th 04, 12:42 PM
Dan Fromm

"Bandicoot" wrote in message ...
large snip

Any of the MP4 lenses could be used, and I expect I'd get infinity focus
with the 135mm and possibly the 127mm with the helicoid, probably not with
the 105mm or less. That would then be a 135mm portrait lens with a leaf
shutter that would sync. flash at any speed - stick an auxilliary finder in
the hotshoe and it wouldn't be impossibly inconvenient to use.

snip

But the real reason I want to play about with this is for macro work.

Even
with MLU a focal plane shutter produces more movement than a leaf

shutter,
and with the 35mm and 17mm lenses one is talking serious

magnification.
Peter

A #1 Prontor Press will sync flash at any speed up to its highest,
1/125. If you want to play this game get a cock and shoot Copal #1,
top speed 1/400.

Re short macro lenses on a 35 mm camera, by an odd coincidence I have
the short Tominons, also others. Its all copy stand work. With my
FM2n mirror slap and other sources of vibration aren't issues.

Cheers,

Dan
Old April 25th 04, 06:51 PM
Jim-Ed Browne

My error: the Pathfinder series with its "legit" lenses is NOT what
you want. In fact because so many have been scrapped out for this
okay-but-nothing-special optic it might really become collectible! The
Highlander, a 30 Series rollfilm Polaroid with a rotating front
element for focussing, and the 800, the latest of the 95-type (40
Series rollfilm, front std moves on a very nice rack)are what we are
after. They have a simple shutter and Waterhouse stops selected by a
wheel rotated to a particular EV number. For SLR or focal plane camera
use you take apart the front and remove the shutter blade.

If I had a modern FP Hassy body... These are a "secret weapon" used by
a couple people in the classic portrait business. Having money,
usually they remount the lenses in a "real" shutter,for cosmetic
reasons.
Old April 25th 04, 06:52 PM
Bandicoot

"Dan Fromm" wrote in message
m...
[SNIP]

#1, top speed 1/400.

Yes, that would be a lot nicer - but I don't happen to have a spare one
knocking around, which I do with the PP. If the thing works nicely I
suppose I might switch shutters.

Peter

Old April 25th 04, 11:26 PM
Bandicoot

"Dan Fromm" wrote in message
om...
"Bandicoot" wrote in message

"Dan Fromm" wrote in message
m...
[SNIP]

#1, top speed 1/400.

Yes, that would be a lot nicer - but I don't happen to have a spare one
knocking around, which I do with the PP. If the thing works nicely I
suppose I might switch shutters.

Peter

You'll survive with a PP, as I did for several years with an ex-MP4
Copal Press #1. Stuck all sorts of lenses in front of it. But my
life has improved since I lucked into an affordable cock & shoot Copal
1 g.

Cheers,

I have Copals on a couple of my LF lenses and they are indeed very nice -
finding a good price on one is a rare event though: I envy you that!

Peter

Old April 25th 04, 11:41 PM
Dan Fromm

"Bandicoot" wrote in message ...
"Dan Fromm" wrote in message
m...
[SNIP]

Old April 26th 04, 12:51 AM
Nick Zentena

Bandicoot wrote:

I have Copals on a couple of my LF lenses and they are indeed very nice -
finding a good price on one is a rare event though: I envy you that!

The 150mm Xenars come in Compur #1. Usually don't cost very much.

Nick
Old April 26th 04, 12:21 PM
Bandicoot

"Nick Zentena" wrote in message
news
Bandicoot wrote:

I have Copals on a couple of my LF lenses and they are indeed very

nice -
finding a good price on one is a rare event though: I envy you that!

The 150mm Xenars come in Compur #1. Usually don't cost very much.

Nick

That's a good point: I don't need one (have a 150mm Sironar-N that I'm happy
with) but the Xenar used would probably cost less than a new shutter,
specially if I looked out for one with damaged optics. Thanks: I'll keep
that idea in mind...

Peter