Fire

Old June 29th 16, 12:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
charles

Default Fire

On Mon, 27 Jun 2016 18:13:29 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

We have a 75 acre fire burning about 4 miles South of us. Power has
been out all afternoon with temp up at 109ºF/42.8ºC. Fortunately we
have power back on now.

Two helicopters have been flying over my house making the circuit
between the lake and the fire since about 1 PM. CalFire has been flying
three fire attack tankers out of Paso Robles airport.
https://db.tt/Zf2Jmaf9
https://db.tt/pQO6FJAc

This is on our only road into town and CHP has it closed, so we are
sitting here waiting to see when we can get back to normal.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/FrasierFire.jpg

Kind of related

http://ktla.com/2015/06/25/illegal-4...orest-service/
Old June 29th 16, 12:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

We have a 75 acre fire burning about 4 miles South of us. Power has
been out all afternoon with temp up at 109ºF/42.8ºC. Fortunately we
have power back on now.

Two helicopters have been flying over my house making the circuit
between the lake and the fire since about 1 PM. CalFire has been flying
three fire attack tankers out of Paso Robles airport.
https://db.tt/Zf2Jmaf9
https://db.tt/pQO6FJAc

This is on our only road into town and CHP has it closed, so we are
sitting here waiting to see when we can get back to normal.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/FrasierFire.jpg

Kind of related

http://ktla.com/2015/06/25/illegal-4...orest-service/

Any

drone interfering with fire fighting air attack operations should be
subject to a "shoot down on sight" order.

Savageduck

Old June 29th 16, 01:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
charles

wrote:

We have a 75 acre fire burning about 4 miles South of us. Power has
been out all afternoon with temp up at 109ºF/42.8ºC. Fortunately we
have power back on now.

Two helicopters have been flying over my house making the circuit
between the lake and the fire since about 1 PM. CalFire has been flying
three fire attack tankers out of Paso Robles airport.
https://db.tt/Zf2Jmaf9
https://db.tt/pQO6FJAc

This is on our only road into town and CHP has it closed, so we are
sitting here waiting to see when we can get back to normal.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/FrasierFire.jpg

Kind of related

http://ktla.com/2015/06/25/illegal-4...orest-service/

Any

drone interfering with fire fighting air attack operations should be
subject to a "shoot down on sight" order.

with retrofire to the operator.
Old June 29th 16, 02:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

says...

wrote:

[...]

Dunno if they still do but they used to use A-26s for that kind of work.
Put the guns back on 'em and let 'em have at it.

The A-26s are long retired, but CalFire has 16 OV-10As which could do
that job. They are currently used for aerial command and control along
with 25 AH-1Fs armed with IR, thermal imagers, and low light sensors
for tactical air group supervision.

For actual fire attack fixed wing CalFire has 8 ex-USN P3 Orions, 8 P2V
Neptunes, 26 S-2E/Gs 23 of which have been converted to S-2T by
retrofitting with turbopro engines (5 of these were working our fire, 3
from Paso Robles 1 from Hollister, and 1 from Porterville), DC-6 & DC-7
tankers. Then there are contracts which bring leased CL-215/Bombardier
415 "Superscoopers", A 747 tanker from Evergreen Services, several
DC-10 tankers, and the only flying Martin Mars.

In the rotary wing attack role there are 8 S-64E "Skycranes" on
contract from Helicopter Transport Services. Several BV-107 "Vertol",
Boeing 234 "Chinook", Kaman "K-Max", Bell 212s, 12 modified UH-1H
"Super Hueys", several Bell 205 A++'s, Bell 412's, Bell 407, Bell 206B
"JetRangers", Bell 206L-III "LongRangers", Eurocopter AS350 "AStars",
MD 500D, Aerospatiale SA 315B "Lama", and Alouette 316Bs

Then from the California Air National Guard there are several Modular
Airborne FireFighting System (MAFFS) converted C-130's, UH-60
"Blackhawks", CH-46 "Sea Knights", CH-47 "Chinooks", and CH53E "Super
Stallions".

So for fighting fires California has quite a substantial airforce available.

Savageduck

Old June 29th 16, 02:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

says...

wrote:

[...]

Sadly they need it.

--
PeterN
Old June 29th 16, 07:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article 2016062718132925228-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck wrote:

We have a 75 acre fire burning about 4 miles South of us. Power has
been out all afternoon with temp up at 109ºF/42.8ºC. Fortunately
we have power back on now.

Two helicopters have been flying over my house making the circuit
between the lake and the fire since about 1 PM. CalFire has been
flying three fire attack tankers out of Paso Robles airport.
https://db.tt/Zf2Jmaf9 https://db.tt/pQO6FJAc

This is on our only road into town and CHP has it closed, so we are
sitting here waiting to see when we can get back to normal.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/FrasierFire.jpg

That sucks, hope it gets sorted out.

We had something similar close to my hometown last year, with the largest
forest fire in Sweden for a long time. We don't have that many forest fires at
all, really, so we were quite unprepared and had to wait for water bombers to
fly out from Italy to help us out. No casualties though, but millions lost in
property, a lot of it uninsured.

--
Sandman
Old June 29th 16, 08:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On 29 Jun 2016 06:25:29 GMT, Sandman wrote:

[...]

Fires? In Sweden? Does ice burn?
Old June 30th 16, 06:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Bill W wrote:

Savageduck:
We have a 75 acre fire burning about 4 miles South of us. Power
has been out all afternoon with temp up at 109ºF/42.8ºC.
Fortunately we have power back on now.

Two helicopters have been flying over my house making the
circuit between the lake and the fire since about 1 PM. CalFire
has been flying three fire attack tankers out of Paso Robles
airport. https://db.tt/Zf2Jmaf9https://db.tt/pQO6FJAc

This is on our only road into town and CHP has it closed, so we
are sitting here waiting to see when we can get back to normal.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/FrasierFire.jpg

Sandman:
That sucks, hope it gets sorted out.

We had something similar close to my hometown last year, with the
largest forest fire in Sweden for a long time. We don't have that
many forest fires at all, really, so we were quite unprepared and
had to wait for water bombers to fly out from Italy to help us
out. No casualties though, but millions lost in property, a lot of
it uninsured.

Fires? In Sweden? Does ice burn?

No, but the reindeers that walk our streets all year around burns just fine

Joking aside, I think the entire "Sweden is covered in snow all year around"
idea that many americans have is quite hilarious when Sweden in a good summer
is really hot at times

--
Sandman
Old July 1st 16, 03:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On 30 Jun 2016 17:10:31 GMT, Sandman wrote:

In article , Bill W wrote:

Savageduck:
[...]

Sweden is never hot. The women are, but not the weather. It's a frozen
tundra over there. I've seen movies set in Sweden. Bunch of Volvos on
snow covered mountain roads..
Old July 1st 16, 02:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2016-06-30 22:25, Bill W wrote:
On 30 Jun 2016 17:10:31 GMT, Sandman wrote:

In article , Bill W wrote:

Savageduck:
[...]

Sweden is a major timber country. They also make one of the best chain
saws.

--
She hummed to herself because she was an unrivaled botcher of lyrics.
-Nick (Gone Girl), Gillian Flynn.