gps for nikon d7200

Old June 25th 16, 06:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default gps for nikon d7200

On 2016-06-25 17:23:22 +0000, David Taylor
said:

On 25/06/2016 17:29, Savageduck wrote:
[]
None of these are perfect, but they provide a method for writing GEO tags.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/photo-geotag/id957217448?mt=12
https://www.houdah.com/houdahGeo/?lang=en
http://www.snafu.org/GeoTag/

I currently use a Nikon GP-1 on my D300S and it has always given me
accurate results in the open, with accuracy dropping with heavy overhead
cover.
With my Fujifilm X-E2 I sync with the "Cam Remote" app on my iPhone, and
so far the accuracy is good enough for my purposes.
For making any tag adjustments/edits or adding GPS data to untagged
image files, I use the Lightroom "Map" module.

I'm sure folks will appreciate that, thanks!

I must admit that having the built-in GPS on both my iPad and my
Motorola G3 phone makes it a lot more convenient than any software!

Just one issue with the Fujifilm "Cam Remote" app with iOS. One must
ensure that iOS Location services is enabled and since the only options
are "Never" or "While Using the App" you have to make sure the App is
activated, otherwise the Geodata logging will not take place and the
sync will fail. Take those steps and it works just fine.

For those who might be interested in the Fujifilm solution.
http://app.fujifilm-dsc.com/en/camera_remote/

Savageduck

Old June 25th 16, 10:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2016-06-25 11:46, David Taylor wrote:
On 25/06/2016 16:27, Alan Browne wrote:

It could even be useful to write a simple program to take in filenames
and positions and format the above and invoke EXIFTOOL, I suppose.

I'm perhaps using the GPS in a more urban environment, and tend to
switch if off when stopping in a café or restaurant. It's when leaving
that I may forget to switch the GPS receiver back on, or it may take a
couple of minutes to acquire lock (I know it should be faster...).

I've not tried using the phone as a track logger. How much does it
affect battery life?

A bit I'm sure. I had a fully charged iPhone 6P yesterday go down about
15% while fooling around with several nav apps at once. (Apple Maps,
Google Maps, GPS Kit, In Motion, 3 different compasses, Flight Radar,
etc.) over the course of 1 Bloody Ceasar and 2 beers while the charcoal
was getting to the appropriate shade of grey.

I've used my other iPhone (4) while orienteering to record my track over
the period of an hour or so without much battery use. But it was a
single app recording (GPS Kit or In Motion GPS). Also on a 6 hour
Rogaine without depleting the battery all that much.

It would be nice if the sampling/recording rate could be set by the
user. For slow paced photography out in the boonies, a 1 / 10 s rate
would be more than ample for most photography I do. (1 / minute even).

In turn it would be further nice, therefore, if the API's for the GPS
could be told to take it easy and not drive the GPS correlators all that
hard. Combined, that would save significant energy for someone wanting
to record all day long.

Hard position setting via a batch file is fine, but you need to select
the files and I find that easier graphically selecting from a list.
Dragging a pointer to a map location isn't hard either. I keep all my

Just a copy paste, really. No biggie. My objection to the GUI tools is
they've proven to be poorly designed when selecting folders and file
types, not remembering last folder used and so on. Perhaps I should DL
a few to checkout as I haven't looked at any in several years.
Hopefully they've improved in these respects.

photos in UTC time as you do, and GeoSetter seems to get the UTC times
correct when it reads the .GPX file, so there are no issues with EXIFTOOL.

Just means GeoSetter is using the correct commands when it applies the
change.

Yes, you could write a program, and it would be the Mac equivalent of
GeoSetter. Many would thank you for it! Maybe there already is one?

I write lots of utilities for my purposes - perhaps too tailor made for
general purpose use. Usually command line with some specific
interactions. They generally will compile for Mac, Windows, Linux -
though for Windows a bit of changes are required to handle the file
system structure.

--
She hummed to herself because she was an unrivaled botcher of lyrics.
-Nick (Gone Girl), Gillian Flynn.
Old June 27th 16, 05:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Adriano[_2_]

Alan Browne ha detto questo sabato :

There are many apps for Android (and iOS) that record position.

I know, but gps (imho) is better. Marrex write the position and bearing
in the exif data. Very usefull in geological images.

regards

adriano
Old June 27th 16, 05:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Adriano[_2_]

David Taylor ha detto questo sabato :

I've not tried using the phone as a track logger. How much does it affect
battery life?

I suppose it depends also by the telephone.
I use an old galaxy s3 with a 3000mA battery; walking with runtastic it
use about 25% of the battery in 2 hours.
(it is a phone without sim card, used only with runtastic)

regards

Adriano
Old June 27th 16, 06:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Adriano[_2_]

ha usato la sua tastiera per scrivere :

I have used Aokatec on several Nikon cameras, including the D7000.
http://www.aokatec.com/AK-G.html

That would be the AK-G7 model.
The company is Chinese. I've ordered over the Internet. It works, although
not always as fast as advertised.

Thanks; i will try after being sure it is not a camera problem

adriano
Old June 27th 16, 09:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 27/06/2016 05:57, Adriano wrote:
David Taylor ha detto questo sabato :

I've not tried using the phone as a track logger. How much does it
affect battery life?

I suppose it depends also by the telephone.
I use an old galaxy s3 with a 3000mA battery; walking with runtastic it
use about 25% of the battery in 2 hours.
(it is a phone without sim card, used only with runtastic)

regards

Adriano

Thanks, Adriano. I found a few GPS logging programs, so I'll try one or
two out.

--
Cheers,
David