gps for nikon d7200

Old June 24th 16, 12:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Adriano[_2_]

Default gps for nikon d7200

hello all
anyone knows a gps working with nikon d7200 (except for the original
nikon device)?
I have a Marrex mx g20m mk ii that seems to be not compatibile.
gps itself works both stand alone and connected to a a d300 body, and
I like to understand if the problem is compatibility or if the camera
has some problem.
My doubts comes because the "mk ii" is sold as "specific compatibile
win d7200", and this means that this camera has something different
from older models.
Camera has the last firmware (1.01)
thanks

Adriano
Old June 24th 16, 02:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 6/24/2016 7:26 AM, Adriano wrote:
hello all
anyone knows a gps working with nikon d7200 (except for the original
nikon device)?
I have a Marrex mx g20m mk ii that seems to be not compatibile.
gps itself works both stand alone and connected to a a d300 body, and I
like to understand if the problem is compatibility or if the camera has
some problem.
My doubts comes because the "mk ii" is sold as "specific compatibile win
d7200", and this means that this camera has something different from
older models.
Camera has the last firmware (1.01)
thanks

Adriano

Did you follow the instructions in the manual?
http://www.marrex.cn/UploadFiles/201510149473518.pdf

If so, does your D7200 work with a different GPS?

I would think that there is possibly something wrong with a connecting
cable. If the D7200 does not work with a different GPS, I would think
the issue is with the camera.

--
PeterN
Old June 24th 16, 02:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-06-24 13:08:53 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

Since this is not the Nikon GPS there is the possibility of a D7200
firmware incompatibility. If that is the case it would be Marrex which
needs to update/modify as Nikon is not obliged to ensure third party
accessories function on their equipment.

Savageduck

Old June 24th 16, 02:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2016-06-24 07:26, Adriano wrote:
hello all
anyone knows a gps working with nikon d7200 (except for the original
nikon device)?
I have a Marrex mx g20m mk ii that seems to be not compatibile.
gps itself works both stand alone and connected to a a d300 body, and I
like to understand if the problem is compatibility or if the camera has
some problem.
My doubts comes because the "mk ii" is sold as "specific compatibile win
d7200", and this means that this camera has something different from
older models.
Camera has the last firmware (1.01)

I don't know about your particular kit, but you can always use EXIFTOOL
to merge your GPS locations with photos in post processing if you can't
get it to function with the camera. This assumes the GPS records
position and time data.

1. The camera time has to be reasonably accurate (within 1 minute is
adequate for my needs). So I sync the camera time every few months.
Also care to the time zone may be needed. I simply use UTC for camera
time and don't worry about it.

2. The GPS data needs to be extracted for the time of the photos on the
camera.

3. Copy all of that data (images and GPS data) to a known location on
your PC (EXIFTOOL works on Windows, Unix (Mac) and Linux machines).

4. You need to master the arcane commands of EXIFTOOL. That can take
some work.

Wow, that is tedious, huh? So look around for the various photo tagging
apps that exist, free and otherwise. They generally use EXIFTOOL under
the hood but do all the heavy lifting for you.

--
She hummed to herself because she was an unrivaled botcher of lyrics.
-Nick (Gone Girl), Gillian Flynn.
Old June 24th 16, 05:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 24/06/2016 14:39, Alan Browne wrote:
[]
[...]

Far easier than using EXIFtool is the free GeoSetter:

http://www.geosetter.de/en/

which does all the EXIFtool stuff for you.

--
Cheers,
David
Old June 24th 16, 05:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Adriano[_2_]

Il 24/06/2016, PeterN ha detto :

thank you for your reply

Did you follow the instructions in the manual?
http://www.marrex.cn/UploadFiles/201510149473518.pdf

yes, of course.

If so, does your D7200 work with a different GPS?

I have an old "Columbus", that doesn't list the 7200 in the
compatibility list. The difference is that the marrex mk2 specify that
it is the "new version", compatible with 7200 (and this is the reason
why I bought it). The camera is brand new, but before I receive the gps
I upgraded the firmware from 1.00 to 1.01

I would think that there is possibly something wrong with a connecting cable.
If the D7200 does not work with a different GPS, I would think the issue is
with the camera.

The customer sent me a new cable and suggest me to reset the camera,
but nothing happen
I know it can be a camera problem, but all seems to work, except the
gps, and it is not easy to check the camera by the seller as I bought
it on internet and it is quite far from me. I could go to the seller of
cpourse, but I'd like to do some test before, to be sure that the
problem is the camera.

adriano
Old June 24th 16, 05:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Adriano[_2_]

Savageduck ha usato la sua tastiera per scrivere :

Since this is not the Nikon GPS there is the possibility of a D7200 firmware
incompatibility. If that is the case it would be Marrex which needs to
update/modify as Nikon is not obliged to ensure third party accessories
function on their equipment.

yes, of course. The compatibility problem was my first idea (gps is
working with the old d300 body), but the producer state that this is
the new version specific for d7200. Do you know if there is some test
to check the accessory port on the camera?
thanks

Adriano
Old June 24th 16, 05:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Adriano[_2_]

Sembra che David Taylor abbia detto :

thank you all.
Yes, I know that it is possible to add the exif data.
Unfortunately the marrex is not a logger. Data are written in the shot
moment. Maybe I could use an adroid app to log the track and extract
the time\position data....boring, but it will be the only solution if I
cannot understand where the problem is

regards

Adriano
Old June 24th 16, 06:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-06-24 16:51:30 +0000, Adriano said:

Savageduck ha usato la sua tastiera per scrivere :

Since this is not the Nikon GPS there is the possibility of a D7200
firmware incompatibility. If that is the case it would be Marrex which
needs to update/modify as Nikon is not obliged to ensure third party
accessories function on their equipment.

yes, of course. The compatibility problem was my first idea (gps is
working with the old d300 body), but the producer state that this is
the new version specific for d7200. Do you know if there is some test
to check the accessory port on the camera?
thanks

Adriano

Unfortunately I don't know of any such test. For GPS with my D300S I
use the Nikon GP-1. For my X-E2 I sync GPS data with my iPhone using
the Fujifilm "Cam Remote" app via WiFi.

Savageduck

Old June 24th 16, 08:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 6/24/2016 12:49 PM, Adriano wrote:
Il 24/06/2016, PeterN ha detto :

thank you for your reply

[...]

Are you near Rome?
There is a highly recommended repair place:
Via Giuseppe Manno, 3
00179 Rome
Italy

Otherwise I can't help you more.