Tripods

Old June 23rd 16, 05:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Default Tripods

On 2016-06-22 12:24, Pablo wrote:
Hello folks.

Got a cheapo tripod, but it is a bit wobbly. Thinking of getting something a
bit more sturdy. Hopefully one that will serve for macro stuff as well
(upside down).

A quick glance at Amazon and I see names like Xcsource and Caseflex in the
mid-range price-wise, with the cheaper end dominated by Hama.

I am *not* a serious photographer, but I'd like to dedicate more time to
photography and I like the idea of taking photos that are actually focussed
on something.

Recommendations?

You can likely find a used Manfrotto tripod and head using Craigslist.
or other used listings in your area. Ball head is versatile; pan tilt
is better for landscape; geared head for landscape/studio.

Such won't be expensive and will cover most of your needs reliably and
steadily.

--
She hummed to herself because she was an unrivaled botcher of lyrics.
-Nick (Gone Girl), Gillian Flynn.
Old June 23rd 16, 07:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Pablo's home page says he lives in Spain. A netsearch they do have
Craigslist in Spain, but there's a warning that I shouldn't access it.

there's nothing wrong with accessing craigslist in spain or anywhere
else for that matter.
Old June 23rd 16, 07:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Pablo's home page says he lives in Spain. A netsearch they do have
Craigslist in Spain, but there's a warning that I shouldn't access it.

there's nothing wrong with accessing craigslist in spain or anywhere
else for that matter.

Well, here he is to disagree and argue as usual. Nothing useful to
add. Just the usual bull****.

it's not me who is arguing or spewing bull****.

you may have seen a warning but it's a false alarm.

there is no issue with accessing craigslist, regardless of where the
user is or the craiglist region they're visiting.

I didn't say there's a problem. When I Googled "craigslist spain",
and clicked a link to a city in Spain, a warning pop-up appears.
There's no reason for me to go further since I'm not in Spain and not
in the market for a tripod.

that's a separate issue.
Old June 23rd 16, 07:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Pablo's home page says he lives in Spain. A netsearch they do have
Craigslist in Spain, but there's a warning that I shouldn't access it.

there's nothing wrong with accessing craigslist in spain or anywhere
else for that matter.

Well, here he is to disagree and argue as usual. Nothing useful to
add. Just the usual bull****.

it's not me who is arguing or spewing bull****.

Yes it is. My post has nothing to do with you and asked no question.

it made a misleading statement.

You jumped in to add nothing useful whatsoever just to argue and
dispense your usual bull****. Knowing you, you will continue to argue
without adding anything useful.

more of your trolling.

what i added is that there is no danger in accessing craigslist, and
there isn't.

craiglist is one of the safest sites out there.

you may have seen a warning but it's a false alarm.

What do you mean "may have seen"? There was a pop-up warning.

so you say.

if you saw a warning, then you likely misread what it said.

there is no issue with accessing craigslist, regardless of where the
user is or the craiglist region they're visiting.

I didn't say there's a problem. When I Googled "craigslist spain",
and clicked a link to a city in Spain, a warning pop-up appears.
There's no reason for me to go further since I'm not in Spain and not
in the market for a tripod.

that's a separate issue.

Idiot. It's not a separate issue. It's part of the same sequence of
events.

more of your insults. it's all you do.

whether you personally need a tripod is a *completely* separate issue
than any supposed warning that may have popped up.

this is not about *you*, it's about craigslist being safe, and it is.
Old June 24th 16, 02:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2016-06-23 13:27, Tony Cooper wrote:

Pablo's home page says he lives in Spain. A netsearch they do have
Craigslist in Spain, but there's a warning that I shouldn't access it.

One of Craigslist's core principles is that it is for local use - they
dissuade long distance orders as it's very fraud prone. The business
model does not include a payment channel through which a buyer can stop
the seller from getting paid. I use Craigslist locally (within 100 km
or so) when looking for things, I wouldn't bother for much further as
that's about as far as I'm willing to go for a face to face purchase.

OTOH, I've ordered and sold things via eBay on numerous occasions
without much care. This included an expensive lens from a seller in
Chicago. (Turned out to be a great deal as he threw in a circ pol that
wasn't even mentioned in the offer).

Old June 24th 16, 03:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2016-06-24 10:28, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jun 2016 09:31:21 -0400, Alan Browne

On 2016-06-23 13:27, Tony Cooper wrote:

Pablo's home page says he lives in Spain. A netsearch they do have
Craigslist in Spain, but there's a warning that I shouldn't access it.

One of Craigslist's core principles is that it is for local use - they
dissuade long distance orders as it's very fraud prone. The business
model does not include a payment channel through which a buyer can stop
the seller from getting paid. I use Craigslist locally (within 100 km
or so) when looking for things, I wouldn't bother for much further as
that's about as far as I'm willing to go for a face to face purchase.

OTOH, I've ordered and sold things via eBay on numerous occasions
without much care. This included an expensive lens from a seller in
Chicago. (Turned out to be a great deal as he threw in a circ pol that
wasn't even mentioned in the offer).

I've used Craigslist, too. It's today's version of the classified ads
in the local newspaper.

My comment was not critical of Craigslist. It seems, though, that
there's something about a person in Orlando checking Craigslist in
Barcelona, Spain that triggers a warning.

And rightly so. As you said "It's today's version of the classified ads
in the local newspaper." So when you accessed the Spanish site you got
a flag (at least that's what I think is happening).

Old June 25th 16, 03:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

without knowing what the warnign was/is it's difficult to tell perhaps it
was warnign the UK not to leeave thw EU.

Doesn't make any difference to me. If it's a warning, I heed it. No
point in taking a chance for something that isn't of particular
interest to me.

that's dumb. warnings can be false alarms or not even relevant.

for instance, if i get a warning about windows malware, i can ignore it
because it won't affect macs.

for craiglist.es, the warning is about an invalid cert, which doesn't
matter to someone just browsing from the usa. it can be ignored.

What should happen is that every time a "nospam" post appears, a
warning pops up saying "DANGER! Argument to follow with no useful
content!".

what should happen is that you stop bashing.
Old June 25th 16, 03:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

without knowing what the warnign was/is it's difficult to tell perhaps it
was warnign the UK not to leeave thw EU.

Doesn't make any difference to me. If it's a warning, I heed it. No
point in taking a chance for something that isn't of particular
interest to me.

that's dumb. warnings can be false alarms or not even relevant.

So your advice is to continue on even though there's a warning and the
subject isn't of particular interest. Interesting. But stupid.

not at all what i said.

that makes you the stupid one.

Tripods newshound Digital Photography 0 June 22nd 16 10:01 PM
Tripods Just Shoot Me[_2_] Digital SLR Cameras 48 October 22nd 07 12:22 AM
Tripods Eric Miller 35mm Photo Equipment 19 June 12th 07 11:29 PM
Tripods Avery Digital SLR Cameras 3 January 23rd 05 11:17 AM
Tripods sonsdad 35mm Photo Equipment 37 November 8th 04 06:13 PM