IrfanView: sometimes very slow loading

Old September 13th 15, 01:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Diesel

Default IrfanView: sometimes very slow loading

David Taylor
Fri, 11 Sep 2015 14:00:32 GMT in
alt.comp.freeware, wrote:

XP is outdated because it is now out of support, and anyone using
it with an Internet connection is asking for trouble. The more
modern Windows versions are more reliable and have fewer bugs. As
I run Win-7 on one PC which only has 1.25 GB memory, I can hardly
agree that it's a resource hog (but I don't photo edit there).

asking for trouble, how exactly?

Don't be put off by the look of Windows-8 or Windows-10 - you can
use the free Classic Shell program to make it look like Windows-7
should you wish.

To a point, yes.

You are in control of the privacy settings with Windows-10, so
choose carefully if you don't like the defaults. What is
collected is no more, and likely less, than Apple, Google, Android
etc. etc. Greatly exaggerated, in my view.

You may need glasses, then. As you are not in full control of the
privacy settings either. Some turn back on after a preset period of
being disabled.

From the many I've spoke to who have upgraded to Windows-10, the
overwhelming view has been positive.

What is many?

And if you _really_ think that a 2015 computer is not going to be
more powerful than a 2001 computer, especially for photo and video
editing, I respectfully suggest you think again. Processor speed,
number of cores, available memory, disk speed, display resolution,
multiple displays - yes the difference /is/ stunning. Just try
going back to a 2001 computer and see for yourself....

The issue date of OS doesn't necessarily mean the computer is also
from 2001. XP was installed for years on many a box.

--
Optimist: Someone who doesn't know all the facts yet.
Old September 13th 15, 01:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Diesel

nospam
Fri, 11 Sep 2015
15:05:40 GMT in alt.comp.freeware, wrote:

In article , Shadow
wrote:

XP is outdated because it is now out of support, and anyone
using it with an Internet connection is asking for trouble.

I must be asking for trouble. I collect malware to send to the
"good guys" and use XP as my main OS. Lemme see, 176 specimens on
my PC ATM. Inactive of course. My system seems impervious, unlike
Win 7 and up that have received hundreds of patches for remote
exploits.

you collect malware??

Sure. I've got thousands of samples myself.

unless you are a malware author trying to find new ways to pwn
systems or a security researcher working on anti-malware
utilities, why would anyone want to collect malware?

Why did people collect stamps?

Remember, over a year back, when M$ said that XP machines
would be a tremendous risk ? It never happened.

yes it did. xp is insecure and anyone still running it is at risk.

Okay. Please, specify the way(s) in which it's insecure.

--
Optimist: Someone who doesn't know all the facts yet.
Old September 13th 15, 01:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Diesel

"Mayayana"
Fri, 11 Sep 2015 15:23:20 GMT in alt.comp.freeware, wrote:

| XP is outdated because it is now out of support, and anyone using
| it with an Internet connection is asking for trouble.

I think you've been reading too many Microsoft
press releases reprinted shamelessly by the mainstream
tech media. What's asking for trouble is running javascript
in the browser; flash; acrobat plugins; Java; skype; file
sharing; remote control software. In other words, allowing
executable code to run through a webpage makes you
a sitting duck. It simply cannot be made safe. And of
course IE in any form makes you a sitting duck. Malware
doesn't generally target OSs. It targets vulnerabilities in
software on OSs.
| Don't be put off by the look of Windows-8 or Windows-10 - you can
| use the free Classic Shell program to make it look like Windows-7
| should you wish.

My favorite lukewarm defense. It used to be that
people updated because the new version had notable
new functionality. Now the best reason to update is
because the new version is "sort of fixable through
the addition of 3rd-party software".

I appreciate your shared cynical viewpoint. [g]

--
Optimist: Someone who doesn't know all the facts yet.
Old September 13th 15, 01:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Diesel

nospam
Fri, 11 Sep 2015
19:15:19 GMT in alt.comp.freeware, wrote:

users who have auto-update enabled get an automatic update, which
includes windows 10. the computer is doing exactly as it's been
told to do.

*ahem* I'd expect to get an update to the OS/Apps (if enabled) that i'm
already using. NOT replace the installed OS outright with a different
one; which is what happens here if you allow it.

very simple.

Well, no.. no, it isn't.

--
Optimist: Someone who doesn't know all the facts yet.
Old September 13th 15, 02:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
nospam

In article ,
Diesel wrote:

XP is outdated because it is now out of support, and anyone
using it with an Internet connection is asking for trouble.

I must be asking for trouble. I collect malware to send to the
"good guys" and use XP as my main OS. Lemme see, 176 specimens on
my PC ATM. Inactive of course. My system seems impervious, unlike
Win 7 and up that have received hundreds of patches for remote
exploits.

you collect malware??

Sure. I've got thousands of samples myself.

what for?

unless you are a malware author trying to find new ways to pwn
systems or a security researcher working on anti-malware
utilities, why would anyone want to collect malware?

Why did people collect stamps?

are you seriously equating collecting stamps to collecting malware?

Remember, over a year back, when M$ said that XP machines
would be a tremendous risk ? It never happened.

yes it did. xp is insecure and anyone still running it is at risk.

Okay. Please, specify the way(s) in which it's insecure.

because xp no longer has any security patches.

that means *all* exploits found can be weaponized.
Old September 13th 15, 02:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
nospam

In article ,
Diesel wrote:

XP is not outdated simply because
he's having trouble setting up his new disk.

xp is outdated because it's no longer being supported by microsoft or
software developers.

The latter is not entirely true. Some developers are continuing to
support XP. Malwarebytes is one of them.

only because the existing version continues to work.

new apps don't.
Old September 13th 15, 02:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
nospam

In article ,
Diesel wrote:

users who have auto-update enabled get an automatic update, which
includes windows 10. the computer is doing exactly as it's been
told to do.

*ahem* I'd expect to get an update to the OS/Apps (if enabled) that i'm
already using. NOT replace the installed OS outright with a different
one; which is what happens here if you allow it.

it doesn't replace it.

it only downloads it so that when you do decide to replace the os, the
update can begin immediately rather than wait hours to download several
gig in addition to the time it takes to do the install. nobody likes
waiting.

very simple.

Well, no.. no, it isn't.

yes it is.
Old September 13th 15, 03:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 21:28:39 -0400, nospam

Diesel wrote:

[...]

That's not correct. It's got many years worth of accumulated security
patches. It's just that it's not getting any more since MS stopped
supporting it.

that means *all* exploits found can be weaponized.

That's only true of those found since MS stopped supporting XP. Some
of the earlier ones will still be open on XP machines according to
the extent that they have not been updated or their owners have
neglected security on their system.

Eric Stevens
Old September 13th 15, 04:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 21:28:40 -0400, nospam

Diesel wrote:

users who have auto-update enabled get an automatic update, which
includes windows 10. the computer is doing exactly as it's been
told to do.

*ahem* I'd expect to get an update to the OS/Apps (if enabled) that i'm
already using. NOT replace the installed OS outright with a different
one; which is what happens here if you allow it.

it doesn't replace it.

I'm damned sure that from the end of May, under the guise of updating,
MS were starting to replace chunks of Windows 7 with stuff applying to
Windows 10.