Aperature Priority

Old September 19th 05, 07:47 AM
Pete D

"Blair" wrote in message

Thanks comments.
I did start looking into all of the settings and realized that the

Exposure
mode was different on my Aperture Prioriry shot. Thanks for getting me
on
the right track. I must have changed that a while ago and forgot. I
actually put everything back to factory settings. Now the shots I take

in
Aperture Priority look great and if I choose the same Fstop (when I'm in

AP)
as Auto mode did... the camera is actually choosing the same shutter

speeds
in both situations (AP and Auto) Thank you! Molson

I am about to start using the priority settings in my Fuji 4900Z camera,
having only used auto to dateand want to learn. My question is ; If the
settings are the same what is the advantage in choosing Aperature priority
over auto?
Blair

Keeps you in control rather than let the camera guess what settings to use,
also lets you control for a particular effect. You may want a greater depth
of field or you want to make sure you freeze some fast action, etc.

Old September 19th 05, 04:20 PM
David Geesaman

"Blair" wrote in message
I am about to start using the priority settings in my Fuji 4900Z camera,
having only used auto to dateand want to learn. My question is ; If the
settings are the same what is the advantage in choosing Aperature priority
over auto?
Blair

Auto gets me in trouble in two situations, both related to action
shooting:
1) low light, where the auto modes use very slow shutter speeds, but I need
the fastest possible shutter speed.
2) sports, or other situations where you want a narrow depth of focused
field to make the subject stand out vs. the background. I set it to the
widest aperture (e.g. f/2.8 or f/3.5) allowed by the lens and shoot away.

Dave

Old September 20th 05, 08:36 PM
Molson via PhotoKB.com

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
I'm a bit frustrated with My Nikon D70 in aperature priority. I've been
setting the aperature to a resonable setting for the shot and letting the
camera choose the shutter speed. They usually come out dark. I've tried a
number of things to try to lighten up the shot, but nothing worked. So, I
took the same shot in automatic mode. Great shot...

Are you using a flash? Perhaps you have your minimum flash shutter
speed set really low. Try setting it to 1/60s. Try taking these same
pictures with shutter priority and set to 1/60s and see how they turn
out. Chances are good that they will (as far as exposure goes).

Then I noted the Aperature and Shutter Speed for that Auto shot and changed
to Aperature Priority, went with the same Aperature as in auto, and expected

[quoted text clipped - 4 lines]
Anybody know what's going on here?
Thanks, Molson

Let me guess ... a flash pops up in auto mode.
Nope, I had it set so that the flash didn't go off. I did fix things by resetting my exposure mode though.

I did try the same shot with 1/60s (shutter priority), it was a pretty true-
to-life exposure in dim light. Thanks.