Film & Filters for red rock shots...

Old April 23rd 05, 11:42 PM
J C

Default Film & Filters for red rock shots...

Hi everyone, a week from today I will be out around arches, canyonlands
for a week. I plan on shootinng velvia 50 with a polarizer and warming
filters. I know its saturated, but I love the extra color the warming
filter gives. I also have a few rolls of kodak elite 100 & elite 100
extra color. I have been told these films dont do well with my filter
combo. Has anyone tried using this set up? Or recommend any other
filters good for what I'm planning on shooting? Also any "cant miss
shots", places and times to be there greatly apriciated, please reply
here or email to me. Many thanks in advance for any help/ideas.
Jim

Old May 2nd 05, 07:20 PM
TAFKAB

Hi there,

If you're going to the southwest, be aware of using a polarizer all the
time. many times skies will turn very dark, almost black, and look just
plain bad. Unless there's a ton of glare or water in the scene, you probably
won't need one. Last time I shot film there, I used Velvia 50 for lower
contrast periods, and Provia during the day. Loved the results. If you
expose properly, things can look amazing.

Look for a book called "Photographing the Southwest." Can't reall the
author. Also, you may want to purchase a newsletter from
www.photographamerica.com for that area. Good info on spots, times, etc.

Old May 3rd 05, 03:39 AM
xyzzy

Good advice. When you travel around the southwest, be mindful of your
elevation. The polarizer effect increases at higher altitudes. The
polarizer works just fine in Death Valley (elevation 0), has a stronger
effect over the Great Basin - Las Vegas to middle Idaho (elevation 2000-3500
ft), and will turn skies almost black at the rim of the Grand Canyon
(7000-9000 ft).

Also, recall that the polarizer effect depends on the angle to the sun. The
fall-off in effect is more pronounced the higher you go. That makes using
one with a wide angle a real challenge.

Bob in Las Vegas

Old May 3rd 05, 05:48 PM
Dr. Georg N.Nyman

J C wrote:
Hi everyone, a week from today I will be out around arches, canyonlands
for a week. I plan on shootinng velvia 50 with a polarizer and warming
filters. I know its saturated, but I love the extra color the warming
filter gives. I also have a few rolls of kodak elite 100 & elite 100
extra color. I have been told these films dont do well with my filter
combo. Has anyone tried using this set up? Or recommend any other
filters good for what I'm planning on shooting? Also any "cant miss
shots", places and times to be there greatly apriciated, please reply
here or email to me. Many thanks in advance for any help/ideas.
Jim

Hi, if you like to experiment a bit, get a red-enhancer filter. This is
a thin piece of Dydimium glass which intensifies the red's but - and
this needs to be kept in mind - it will modify the entire image's color
rendition as well. So you get significantly enhanced reds but you pay
for it with a more reddish overall image as well. Works fine with color
slide films but for color negative films, most digital enlagers filter
the additional red out again.
Have fun and keep in mind - don't use the polarizer too much and if,
then place the plane of extinction exactly in the middle of the image to
avoid very one-sided darkened slides.
George