Wedding Photography - request advice

Old January 16th 07, 09:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Carlos Lourenço

Default Wedding Photography - request advice

Hi. I'm just about to buy the new Canon Rebel XTi (400D) [or NIKON D80].
But... are they "good enough" to photograph weddings and other social
events as a freelancer ?

I'm a freelancer video cameraman here in Portugal and I would like to
start with photography services too.

Thanks for advice.
Carlos Lourenço

Lisbon - Portugal
-----------------------------------
http://fotoearte.no.sapo.pt
http://freelancer.paginas.sapo.pt
-----------------------------------
Old January 16th 07, 10:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Rutger

"Carlos Lourenço" schreef in bericht
Hi. I'm just about to buy the new Canon Rebel XTi (400D) [or NIKON D80].
But... are they "good enough" to photograph weddings and other social
events as a freelancer ?

I'm a freelancer video cameraman here in Portugal and I would like to
start with photography services too.

Camera is ok for this, the man behind the camera can make or break the
complete set of wedding pictures.

Rutger

--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zwaarddrager/sets

Old January 16th 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Mike Russell

"Carlos Lourenço" wrote in message
Hi. I'm just about to buy the new Canon Rebel XTi (400D) [or NIKON D80].
But... are they "good enough" to photograph weddings and other social
events as a freelancer ?

I'm a freelancer video cameraman here in Portugal and I would like to
start with photography services too.

Yes, both of those cameras are more than adequate from a quality standpoint.
Be sure to get a flash powerful enough to use for bounce, have backup
equipment, and do check with others for more information on how to actually
cover the event, what poses to photograph, etc. My favorite recommendation:
go to the rehearsal and plan where you will be standing for each part of the
ceremony where you will be out of the way, and still be able to cover the
ceremony. Also, be ready to put in double or triple the effort that a
professional would - take lots of images.

Also be ready for some harsh words - for some rea$on there are a lot of
people who will discourage amateurs from covering weddings.
--
Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/

Old January 16th 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
BGMedia

If you have the money, invest in a few fast lenses, such as the 50mm
f1.4 and the 100mm f2.0 -- or the 85mm f1.4L....

These fast lenses will enable you to take excellent shots in lower
light, and the large apertures can give you nice blurry backgrounds.
I, personally, have found these lenses to be a good match with the 1.6x
multiplier.

The advice about a good flash is also spot on. Get the best one you
can afford -- you won't be sorry.

I've shot weddings for friends with my 3 megapixel D30, and have been
told, "Your pictures came out better than our pro photographer's!"

Good luck!

Old January 16th 07, 11:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Roy G

"Carlos Lourenço" wrote in message
Hi. I'm just about to buy the new Canon Rebel XTi (400D) [or NIKON D80].
But... are they "good enough" to photograph weddings and other social
events as a freelancer ?

I'm a freelancer video cameraman here in Portugal and I would like to
start with photography services too.

Thanks for advice.
Carlos Lourenço

Lisbon - Portugal
-----------------------------------
http://fotoearte.no.sapo.pt
http://freelancer.paginas.sapo.pt
-----------------------------------

Hi.

Yes. Either of them will do the job.

You will need to get yourself a good flashgun also, probably the matching
Canon or Nikon, and a sturdy tripod.

The most important thing, (even more important than equipment), is your
skill.

Not only in taking photos, but managing people.

Getting your subjects to pose as you need, and at weddings keeping onlookers
out of your pictures and stopping them from distracting your subjects.

For weddings it is almost vital to have an assistant, who can arrange the
Dress so that it looks good, and can go and get the people you need for the
next Formal Group shot.

Roy G

Old January 17th 07, 12:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Little Green Eyed Dragon

In article ,
"Roy G" wrote:

Not only in taking photos, but managing people.

Single most important skill Good point.

Getting your subjects to pose as you need, and at weddings keeping onlookers
out of your pictures and stopping them from distracting your subjects.

For weddings it is almost vital to have an assistant, who can arrange the
Dress so that it looks good, and can go and get the people you need for the
next Formal Group shot.

Roy G

In general Assistants are of relative use, most leave a lot to be
desired. However a fully trained knowledgeable helper can save you lots
of time, and sometimes your butt.

--
Would thou choose to meet a rat eating dragon, or
a dragon, eating rat? The answer of: I am somewhere
Old January 17th 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Ric Trexell

Would thou choose to meet a rat eating dragon, or
a dragon, eating rat? The answer of: I am somewhere
in the middle. "Me who is part taoist and part Christian".

No man can serve two masters.......Jesus Christ

Old January 17th 07, 01:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Little Green Eyed Dragon

In article ,
"Ric Trexell" wrote:

Would thou choose to meet a rat eating dragon, or
a dragon, eating rat? The answer of: I am somewhere
in the middle. "Me who is part taoist and part Christian".

No man can serve two masters.......Jesus Christ

Judge not for indeed thou shall be judge thyself.

Old January 17th 07, 03:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Shawn Hirn

In article ,
Carlos Lourenço wrote:

Hi. I'm just about to buy the new Canon Rebel XTi (400D) [or NIKON D80].
But... are they "good enough" to photograph weddings and other social
events as a freelancer ?

I'm a freelancer video cameraman here in Portugal and I would like to
start with photography services too.

Wedding photography is very demanding. You need to "focus" your buying
decision on more than just a camera. You need good lighting and good
lenses. I did a great job shooting my sister's wedding with the original
Digital Rebel two years ago, but if I had to do it again, I would have
insisted that my parents and sister hire a professional photographer. I
had way too many bad photos and not enough good ones, but fortunately,
when I presented my sister with her wedding photo album, she and her
husband were thrilled.

Get good lights and a fast portrait lens at a minimum. Due to my poor
lighting and inadequate lenses, I had to spend a huge amount of time
tinkering with images in Photoshop purely to adjust for exposure and
reduce heavy grain, not to mention remove tons of shadows that could
have been avoided if I had the proper lighting and faster lenses.
Old January 17th 07, 05:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Recycle THIS

"The Bible? It's all horse****"........... Charles Darwin