flash "battery pack" info requested

Old August 17th 06, 07:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MJL Photo

Default flash "battery pack" info requested

Anyone have any info and/or suggestions for an external pattery pack for
Canon 550 flash?
Quantum, Norman, etc...
How about power and costs.

Good / bad experiences.

Is it really workth it?

Thanks muchly.

Old August 17th 06, 12:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joseph Meehan

MJL Photo wrote:
Anyone have any info and/or suggestions for an external pattery pack
for Canon 550 flash?
Quantum, Norman, etc...
How about power and costs.

Good / bad experiences.

Is it really workth it?

Thanks muchly.

These days the equipment available including the 550 flash, have
sufficient capabilities to handle almost any situation without an external
pack.

Since you are asking the question I would guess that the answer is no
for you. If you really needed it, you would know you needed it. :-)

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old August 17th 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill K

Gisle Hannemyr wrote:
"MJL Photo" writes:

Anyone have any info and/or suggestions for an external pattery pack
for Canon 550 flash?

Canon CP-E3.
Sigma SD10, Kodak DCS460, Canon Powershot G5, Olympus 2020Z

Gisle
I just happened to look at your website. It's excellent. It made many
technical points clear to my non-technical mind. Thanks for sharing.
--
Bill in Lake Charles

Old August 17th 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Hilton

MJL Photo wrote:
Anyone have any info and/or suggestions for an external pattery pack for
Canon 550 flash?
Quantum, Norman, etc...

We have a Turbo C and a Turbo Z from Quantum and use them often for
fill-flash with the 550EX for birds etc ... highly recommended (the
Turbo Z is no longer made).

How about power and costs.

More power, up to 8x faster than with normal batteries ... not cheap,
that's for sure.

Good / bad experiences.

Other than the extra weight and unwieldness and cost there are few bad
things to say You might glean some good info from this comparison
article ... http://www.rpphoto.com/howto/view.asp?articleID=1018 ...
one problem my wife faces with the Turbo C is if you clamp it to the
bottom of the camera it throws off the balance a bit so we work out
ways to connect it to the tripod or head. The others mentioned in this
article are pretty heavy, 2 lbs or more ...

Is it really workth it?

Do you need to shoot a lot of frames consecutively with flash? If so
they are worth it ... if not then they are not worth it ... we have 8
frames/sec cameras and use the 550's for close range fill flash so the
batteries are essential for us, but for many types of photography they
aren't needed.

Bill

Old August 17th 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SkipM

Sunpak TR-2000. Smaller and lighter than a Quantum Turbo battery, plus it
plugs into the side of the flash instead of going through the battery door,
a solution that I find inelegant. It is also a lot cheaper. It's downside
it that it doesn't have the capacity of a Quantum Turbo, but extra battery
clusters are relatively inexpensive. I bought mine from B&H.

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old August 18th 06, 11:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
wilt

MJL Photo wrote:
Anyone have any info and/or suggestions for an external pattery pack for
Canon 550 flash?
Quantum, Norman, etc...
How about power and costs.

Good / bad experiences.

Is it really workth it?

Thanks muchly.

Be aware that different batteries will provide different speeds for
recycling. For a wedding shooter, the reason for the battery is mostly
improved speed of recycling so that you can shoot the next frame sooner
-- important in weddings when you have little to no control about how
soon the next shot comes! I have used Quantum Turbo for years with my
Metz flashes for wedding coverage, so that it is not necessary to wait
so long between shots when flash is firing at/near full power each time.

Old August 18th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob Salomon

In article 8n9Fg.14109$lv.2179@fed1read12,
"SkipM" wrote:

Sunpak TR-2000. Smaller and lighter than a Quantum Turbo battery, plus it
plugs into the side of the flash instead of going through the battery door,
a solution that I find inelegant. It is also a lot cheaper. It's downside
it that it doesn't have the capacity of a Quantum Turbo, but extra battery
clusters are relatively inexpensive. I bought mine from B&H.

That means that the unit you are using is powering your flash from the
AC plug rather then from the battery supply socket. With many flash
units the AC supply is slower recycling then the battery supply.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Old August 19th 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
SkipM

"SkipM" wrote:

Sunpak TR-2000. Smaller and lighter than a Quantum Turbo battery, plus
it
plugs into the side of the flash instead of going through the battery
door,
a solution that I find inelegant. It is also a lot cheaper. It's
downside
it that it doesn't have the capacity of a Quantum Turbo, but extra
battery
clusters are relatively inexpensive. I bought mine from B&H.

That means that the unit you are using is powering your flash from the
AC plug rather then from the battery supply socket. With many flash
units the AC supply is slower recycling then the battery supply.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

Not this one. As long as the internal batteries are fully charged, it
recycles pretty much immediately. I can get 3 shots off in succession
before it needs to stop and recycle, of course, that's not at full power.
But if I set the Custom Function to "external power source only," the
internal batteries don't discharge, they just need to be recharged every
couple of months out of sitting unused in the flash unit.

Old August 19th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SkipM

Let me expand on what I said a little. The Sunpak recycles just as fast as
fully charged internal NiMH batteries will, but for much longer. One thing
that needs to be watched is that the battery cluster on the Sunpak isn't
discharged, or then the flash will run off of the internal batteries,
depleting them. Then, the Sunpak will take longer to recycle, even if it is
fully charged.

Old August 19th 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SkipM

Sorry about the top post, the computer is driving me nuts this morning.