Kodak 400 UC: Can it be pushed to 800?

Old December 15th 03, 07:52 PM

Default Kodak 400 UC: Can it be pushed to 800?

Anybody know if Kodak UC 400 can be pushed to 800?

Anybody tried it who would care to share their experience?
Old December 15th 03, 10:21 PM
Mike

Sure, but why would you want to do that with the number of high-quality 800-speed films? And a 1-stop push won't buy
you much because UC400 can handle a 1-stop underexposure.

A true 800-speed film will retain shadow detail.

And the last time I pushed a C-41 film, my prints had weird color casts to them which my lab struggled to correct for.

Old December 16th 03, 03:31 AM
Mr 645

I have not tried the 400UC but Portra 160 and 400 NC & VC films push very well.
Just add 30 seconds per stop in the first developer. Try it
http://www.jonlayephotography.com
Old December 16th 03, 06:11 PM
Michael Scarpitti

(Mr 645) wrote in message ...
I have not tried the 400UC but Portra 160 and 400 NC & VC films push very well.
Just add 30 seconds per stop in the first developer. Try it
http://www.jonlayephotography.com

No film 'pushes very well'. No film 'pushes' at all. It is a myth.
Film cannot be pushed, ever.

Underexposure is fatal and forever.
Old December 25th 03, 02:01 PM
Frank Pittel

:
http://www.jonlayephotography.com

: No film 'pushes very well'. No film 'pushes' at all. It is a myth.
: Film cannot be pushed, ever.

Wrong again scarpitti. Kodak's tmax-3200 was designed to be and is a pushable
film. Although I haven't checked out the specs I've heard that Ilford delta 3200
is also a truly pushable film.

-------------------

Old December 26th 03, 04:25 AM
Ron Andrews

The comment: "Just add 30 seconds per stop in the first developer."
seems to refer to reversal processing. Negative processes only have one
developer. Reversal films push much better than negatives.
Push processing (extended development) can increase the threshold
speed slightly, but the biggest effect is in density and contrast. A
so-called one stop push will increase the threshold speed a small fraction
of a stop. If you underexpose and extend development, you can get a gray
card to reproduce with the same density as with normal conditions. There
will only be one point in the tone scale that will match because the
contrast will increase. The graininess will also increase. This is true for
both reversal and negative films. Getting the density right is important
with reversal film so pushing is often justified here. With negative film,
the printing step can compensate for density changes. It is always easier to
get normal processing. My choice is usually to just underexpose the film and
take advantage of the latitude. There are times when the increased contrast
with pushing is worth the trouble, but not that often.

--
Ron Andrews
http://members.hostedscripts.com/antispam.html