Photoshop Elements 2.0 or Paintshop Pro 8.0

Old September 19th 04, 06:03 PM
Ron Hunter

Default Photoshop Elements 2.0 or Paintshop Pro 8.0

Danyel Baillie wrote:
Which one of these entry level digital imaging software packages should I
buy and use, and why?

Thanks
Dan

Well, first, PSP is NOT an entrylevel photo editor. It is quite a bit
more advanced in most ways than PSE2. However, PSE3 will be available
in October or November and it may well be the better package for the
non-professional.

Old September 19th 04, 06:11 PM
Zoolander

download trial versions of both programs from http://www.download.com and
see for yourself which one you prefer

"Marvin Margoshes" wrote in message

"Danyel Baillie" wrote in message

Which one of these entry level digital imaging software packages should

buy and use, and why?

Thanks
Dan

Paint Shop Pro 9 is now available. You can find PSP 8 still for sale,
often at bargain prices. For example, oyu can get it for $29.99 after
rebate form CompUSA this week.

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...678&pfp=SEARCH

It is an even better bargain because it comes with other software,
especially Paint Shop Photo Album.

Old September 20th 04, 01:03 AM
Bill Hilton

Which one of these entry level digital imaging software packages should I
buy and use, and why?

I recommend Elements because the color management is much better than with PSP
and because the interface is somewhat similar to Photoshop. If you do this for
very long you'll probably switch to Photoshop eventually so might as well get a
leg up early.

Old September 20th 04, 01:05 AM
Ron Hunter

schuetzen - RKBA! wrote:
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 15:49:14 GMT, "Danyel Baillie"
wrote:

Which one of these entry level digital imaging software packages should I
buy and use, and why?

why don't you "buy" (it is actually free) The Gimp for Windows or, if you are
using the Linux OS, it comes with your CDs. It does everything that Elements
does and more. http://www.wingimp.org/

fwiw
chas

--
chas
The new Canon DSLR elist. no trolls, etc

Yes, IF you can put up with the 'fragmented' User Interface....

From: Ed Ruf

Can you illuminate me on the color management statement?

Here's a quote from Shutterbug's review of PSP 8 from January 2004, which you
can find on the 'net ...

" Color Management
This is the area where Paint Shop Pro 8 clearly fails to live up to
professional standards. After extensive testing, it is quite clear that the
only RGB images that Paint Shop Pro 8 correctly supports are image files in the
limited sRGB color space. This is a large Achilles’ heel for many advanced
users, and will become a larger problem as more and more digital camera vendors
are supporting alternative RGB color spaces such as Adobe RGB 1998.

While it is clear that sRGB images are properly displayed and printed as far as
color accuracy, images I tested in a variety of other color spaces such as
Kodak ProPhoto, Colormatch, and Adobe RGB 1998 were all incorrectly displayed
and printed as sRGB images. It is also poor color management behavior that
Paint Shop Pro 8 strips the embedded ICC profile in each file so that if they
were embedded in the file to begin with, you can be sure that they won’t be
embedded when saved out of the application."

Other than that I suppose it works fine

Bill

Old September 20th 04, 04:53 PM
Bill Hilton

From: Ed Ruf

so how is this (lack of CM support for any working space except sRGB)
important to the OP?

Even the mid-range digital cameras often have an option for saving in AdobeRGB
these days and pretty much ALL the higher end models offer it. The lack of
support for this in PSP means it's geared for the very low end of the market.

And stripping the tags out of any non-sRGB files that get opened and saved in
PSP is just plain wrong, in my book. This is so outdated it's pathetic.

Did you even care to find out what
camera is being used, on what output devices, using what workflow?

He asked a simple question and I gave him my answer, pointing out two areas
where Elements is better (better color management support and an easier
migration to Photoshop should he/she decide to move up later). I could have
also mentioned three other advantages in Elements 3 (16 bit mode, RAW converter
support, shadow/highlight tool) but that would be piling on ... and he asked
about E 2 so I answered to that.

Did you give ANY good reasons for why Paintshop Pro should be preferred?
Objective reasons, not this childish nonsense that you don't like Adobe because
it's a big successful company?

What are your preferred tools and what is important to you may or may not
be important to someone else.

That's true, that's why I try to give objective factual answers so people can
decide for themselves. If the original poster has no intention of ever moving
to Photoshop and has a camera that doesn't let him write out tagged AdobeRGB
files then it's a toss-up as to which program is better for him and he should
try the free demos to see what feels easier to use.

But anyone who might open files tagged with other than sRGB (whether they shot
them or got them from someone else) and anyone who might want to move to
Photoshop later on would be better off with Elements, I feel.

Bill

Old September 20th 04, 04:53 PM
Bill Hilton