Question about Canon hacks

Old May 10th 07, 08:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allen

Default Question about Canon hacks

I read the thread about Russian hacks for Canon cameras. I know that
when dealing with PCs it is always recommended that one have a way to
restore devices to pre-hack conditions in case anything goes wrong. I
had never even heard of hacking a digicam until that thread appeared.
Has anyone ever had any difficulties with this sort of hack? I would
like to have some of the features in those Russian hacks (especially
RAW) but not at the expense of destroying my S3 IS.

Allen
Old May 10th 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Thu, 10 May 2007 14:19:16 -0500, Allen wrote:

I read the thread about Russian hacks for Canon cameras. I know that
when dealing with PCs it is always recommended that one have a way to
restore devices to pre-hack conditions in case anything goes wrong. I
had never even heard of hacking a digicam until that thread appeared.
Has anyone ever had any difficulties with this sort of hack? I would
like to have some of the features in those Russian hacks (especially
RAW) but not at the expense of destroying my S3 IS.

That thread seems like it should have been posted April 1.
Assuming that such a hack could actually work, which photo software
do you suppose would support an S3 IS raw file?

Old May 10th 07, 10:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Thu, 10 May 2007 14:19:16 -0500, Allen wrote:

I read the thread about Russian hacks for Canon cameras. I know that
when dealing with PCs it is always recommended that one have a way to
restore devices to pre-hack conditions in case anything goes wrong. I
had never even heard of hacking a digicam until that thread appeared.
Has anyone ever had any difficulties with this sort of hack? I would
like to have some of the features in those Russian hacks (especially
RAW) but not at the expense of destroying my S3 IS.

Allen

1) you might look at the Kodak P series - it does raw, tiff, jpeg, has
full manual mode and a 200k+ pixel Electronic View Finder.

2) not specifically germaine, but I did install a 3rd party hack on my
wife's nikon 2100 which added raw capability - works fine and the format
is one of the usual nikon formats.

Old May 10th 07, 10:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jon Combe

In article , ASAAR wrote:
On Thu, 10 May 2007 14:19:16 -0500, Allen wrote:

I read the thread about Russian hacks for Canon cameras. I know that
when dealing with PCs it is always recommended that one have a way to
restore devices to pre-hack conditions in case anything goes wrong. I
had never even heard of hacking a digicam until that thread appeared.
Has anyone ever had any difficulties with this sort of hack? I would
like to have some of the features in those Russian hacks (especially
RAW) but not at the expense of destroying my S3 IS.

That thread seems like it should have been posted April 1.
Assuming that such a hack could actually work, which photo software
do you suppose would support an S3 IS raw file?

I tried it and it worked fine for me. The firmware stays on the SD card
it doesn't get stored permenantly on the camera, so switching the camera
off then on again is enough to remove it. The RAW files are the normal
Canon RAW format, since it's the same processor in the S3 as many other
cameras, and I have opened the RAW files produced fine with a couple of
utilities that support Canon RAW format.

The firmware is triggered by pressing the S button (normally used to
change image resolution, but this can also be done via the menus so
"hijacking" this button does not cause a problem). When you press this
button blue "Alt" text appears at the bottom of the LCD and then the
menu buttons display the menu the hacked firmware adds to enable control
over the storage of RAW files etc. A press of the S button again returns
you back to the normal menus. Turning off and on again loses the updated
firmware so it works as normal again.

Of course if you use it you do so at your own risk, but it worked for
me and I'm quite impressed by it!

Jon.

Old May 10th 07, 11:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J. Littleboy

"Jon Combe" wrote:
ASAAR wrote:
[...]

You're a braver man than I (I never tried the hacks for the 300D), but
selling the same hardware at different price points has been common in the
computer industry for an age.

At my summer job before college (programming a CDC 3200*), my employer paid
for an upgrade. The service engineers showed up, twisted a knob that
increased the clock rate, ran a few checks, and were done.

*: memory: 32K words of 24 bits, cycle-time: 1.25 microseconds

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old May 10th 07, 11:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Thu, 10 May 2007 22:58:50 +0100, Jon Combe wrote:

That thread seems like it should have been posted April 1.
Assuming that such a hack could actually work, which photo software
do you suppose would support an S3 IS raw file?

I tried it and it worked fine for me. The firmware stays on the SD card
it doesn't get stored permenantly on the camera, so switching the camera
off then on again is enough to remove it. The RAW files are the normal
Canon RAW format, since it's the same processor in the S3 as many other
cameras, and I have opened the RAW files produced fine with a couple of
utilities that support Canon RAW format.

If it continues to work, fine. But there's always the possibility
that it's by design benign for an unspecified time, and switching
the camera off and on again doesn't remove installed but dormant
code that has little to do with the useful hacks that really need to
be seen on the SD card to be utilized. Then when some date is
reached . . . kablooey! But if it really isn't malware, the hack
should have been written to make the G7 nearly as capable as its
elder G-men siblings.

Old May 11th 07, 12:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"ASAAR" wrote in message ...
[...]

Firmware is either modified or it isn't, and in this case the mods
do not modify the existing f/w.

I do wish the Russian site was more specific about the versions
of this hack, esp. with the S2 IS. I still don't understand the
difference(s) between the stock hack and "version 3", or which
one I should use on my S2 etc.

Old May 11th 07, 01:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allen

Allen wrote:
I read the thread about Russian hacks for Canon cameras. I know that
when dealing with PCs it is always recommended that one have a way to
restore devices to pre-hack conditions in case anything goes wrong. I
had never even heard of hacking a digicam until that thread appeared.
Has anyone ever had any difficulties with this sort of hack? I would
like to have some of the features in those Russian hacks (especially
RAW) but not at the expense of destroying my S3 IS.

Allen

Thanks to all who have posted replies to my question. I've bookmarked
the links and perhaps I'll try them some day.
Allen
Old May 11th 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Thu, 10 May 2007 16:55:13 -0700, wrote:

If it continues to work, fine. But there's always the possibility
that it's by design benign for an unspecified time, and switching
the camera off and on again doesn't remove installed but dormant
code that has little to do with the useful hacks that really need to
be seen on the SD card to be utilized. Then when some date is
reached . . . kablooey!

Firmware is either modified or it isn't, and in this case the mods
do not modify the existing f/w.

That's exactly right, at least the first part of the sentence, but
how could you know for sure that none of the firmware was modified?
Does the S3 have a function to display the firmware's CRC? Re-read
more carefully from the above quote. I can explain it if you aren't
sure what any of it means. Note that it doesn't mean that the hack
isn't safe to use, and it may well be safe. But you have no way of
knowing that it's safe short of being able to get the source code to
examine and compile or assemble your own personal hack.

I do wish the Russian site was more specific about the versions
of this hack, esp. with the S2 IS. I still don't understand the
difference(s) between the stock hack and "version 3", or which
one I should use on my S2 etc.

That only adds to the fun for those that enjoy playing cough
cough Russian Roulette.

Old May 11th 07, 01:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allen

David J. Littleboy wrote:
snip

At my summer job before college (programming a CDC 3200*), my employer paid
for an upgrade. The service engineers showed up, twisted a knob that
increased the clock rate, ran a few checks, and were done.

*: memory: 32K words of 24 bits, cycle-time: 1.25 microseconds

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

The first _digital_ computer that I dealt with was an IBM 1401, a
whopping 4K of 7-bit memory, cycle time measured on a wall clock, no
disc, no tape, just punch cards and MICR in, punch cards and print out.
Then we upgraded to a 360/30 with 16K of 8-bit memory, cycle time 1.5
microseconds, with 3 disk drives, 7.5 megabytes each! A vast
improvement! I remember when we added a second 16K unit to it, for only
$48,000. Those days are hilarious, looking back from a time when I can
drop a handful of 2-gigabyte USB drives in my shirt pocket.
Allen