Faint horizontal lines on 300D images

Old July 28th 04, 06:24 PM

Default Faint horizontal lines on 300D images

"Rowan Crowe" wrote in message
om...

http://media.sensationcontent.com/ro...ntal-lines.tif

i'd love to eyeball the pic, but no way I'm going to download a tif of
indeterminate size.. you have a resampled small jpeg or a jpeg crop of the
offending area you could post?

Old July 28th 04, 08:40 PM
Charles Schuler

"Rowan Crowe" wrote in message
om...
I noticed some faint horizontal lines on a 300D print yesterday. I had
seen them on my new CRT monitor previously but I assumed that it was a
CRT oddity (I'm still getting used to moire after using an LCD for 3-4
years). At the time of the print I thought that I had a blocked jet,
but after some more editing just now I've realised that since both the
CRT and printer display it, the issue appears to be with the camera.

Is this normal? It shows in areas where there is a fair amount of one
colour, like sky. I'm hoping it's a normal quirk of the sensor rather
than something more serious like a half dead multiplexing transistor.

Here's a sample 1:1 crop of some sky, it's not the best example but
hopefully the lines are apparent.

Can't tell from your sample. I have a 300D and sometimes get faint
horizontal lines from my printer, but never see them on my monitor.

Old July 28th 04, 09:57 PM
scott

"Charles Schuler" wrote in message

[...]

Zoom in, the lines are very small, like 6 or 7 pixels, but certainly looks
wrong and different to my photos from my 300D.

Old July 28th 04, 11:42 PM
David J. Littleboy

"scott" wrote in message

[...]

Those look like jpeg artifacts from really high compression settings. (Yes,
I know it's a tiff, but once you've got jpeg artifacts, saving as tiff won't
get rid of them.)

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old July 28th 04, 11:52 PM
Alfred Molon

Rowan Crowe wrote:
I noticed some faint horizontal lines on a 300D print yesterday. I had
seen them on my new CRT monitor previously but I assumed that it was a
CRT oddity (I'm still getting used to moire after using an LCD for 3-4
years). At the time of the print I thought that I had a blocked jet,
but after some more editing just now I've realised that since both the
CRT and printer display it, the issue appears to be with the camera.

Is this normal? It shows in areas where there is a fair amount of one
colour, like sky. I'm hoping it's a normal quirk of the sensor rather
than something more serious like a half dead multiplexing transistor.

Here's a sample 1:1 crop of some sky, it's not the best example but
hopefully the lines are apparent.

http://media.sensationcontent.com/ro...ntal-lines.tif

My personal guess is that you shot that image at a high ISO and that the
camera applied a lot of colour noise reduction. When you apply a lot of
colour noise reduction you get that effect.
--

Alfred Molon
Old July 29th 04, 12:04 AM
sinatraesque

Rowan,
Can you go into photoshop and look at the individual red, green, and blue
channels? You may find one of them is inordinately noisy. But post a full
size JPG or a crop (at 100%) then maybe we could figure it out.

Old July 29th 04, 12:27 AM
Glen F

My personal guess is that you shot that image at a high ISO and that the
camera applied a lot of colour noise reduction. When you apply a lot of
colour noise reduction you get that effect.

Sure looks noisy. Even just the interaction of jpeging and noise might
produce strange artefacts.

Old July 29th 04, 05:31 AM

Kibo informs me that (Rowan Crowe) stated
that:

Is this normal? It shows in areas where there is a fair amount of one
colour, like sky. I'm hoping it's a normal quirk of the sensor rather
than something more serious like a half dead multiplexing transistor.

Here's a sample 1:1 crop of some sky, it's not the best example but
hopefully the lines are apparent.

http://media.sensationcontent.com/ro...ntal-lines.tif

The only faults I can see in that crop are lots of fine (5-10 pixel)
compression artifacts, that look a bit like lots of tiny scratches. If
that's what you're talking about, the problem is that you're
over-compressing your images. If you're shooting JPEGs (rather than
RAW), you should check the image quality settings you're using in both
the camera & whatever software you're using to process your photos.