Why Aren't Shake Warnings Based on Camera Movement?

Old November 14th 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rudy Benner \(All_Thumbs\)

Default Why Aren't Shake Warnings Based on Camera Movement?

"jim evans" wrote in message
I learned today that the "shake" warning on Canon cameras is simply
based on reaching shutter speeds less than 1/60th second.

The old 1/60th rule is based on an average person with steady hands
using a 35mm camera with a normal lens. It applied to cameras pressed
against the face, using good practice. I'm an old guy with shaky
hands and with a submini camera you pretty much have to hold it out
from your body and use the LCD display, sometimes at 100mm equivalent.
The 1/60th rule is meaningless under such conditions.

Does someone know why they don't base the shake warning on data from
the IS system combined with shutter speed and focal length?

-- jim

Makes me wonder how we ever managed back in the olde days, no autofocus,
autoexposure, auto color balance, antishake, did I miss anything?

Old November 14th 06, 12:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

There is a reason they call the shift warning on some manual cars "the
idiot light."

Old November 14th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jim

"Rudy Benner (All_Thumbs)" wrote in message

"jim evans" wrote in message
I learned today that the "shake" warning on Canon cameras is simply
based on reaching shutter speeds less than 1/60th second.

The old 1/60th rule is based on an average person with steady hands
using a 35mm camera with a normal lens. It applied to cameras pressed
against the face, using good practice. I'm an old guy with shaky
hands and with a submini camera you pretty much have to hold it out
from your body and use the LCD display, sometimes at 100mm equivalent.
The 1/60th rule is meaningless under such conditions.

Does someone know why they don't base the shake warning on data from
the IS system combined with shutter speed and focal length?

-- jim

Makes me wonder how we ever managed back in the olde days, no autofocus,
autoexposure, auto color balance, antishake, did I miss anything?

You missed no rangefinder.
Jim

Old November 14th 06, 06:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Ellwood

Jim wrote:

Makes me wonder how we ever managed back in the olde days, no autofocus,
autoexposure, auto color balance, antishake, did I miss anything?

You missed no rangefinder.
Jim

There were rangefinders in the 1930's or doesn't this qualify as the
olden days?

--
Neil
swap 'ra' and delete 'l' for email
Old November 14th 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John

"Rudy Benner (All_Thumbs)" wrote in message

Makes me wonder how we ever managed back in the olde days, no autofocus,
autoexposure, auto color balance, antishake, did I miss anything?

Yeah - the old cameras were heavier, no plastic. Today people just cry when
they have to carry anything heavier than a thought.

Remote control (or movement sensor) on compact camera? Jax Digital Photography 9 August 23rd 06 09:50 PM
camera shake/blur dohc46 Digital Photography 10 August 2nd 06 01:59 PM
Camera Shake rda Digital Photography 29 October 10th 04 02:22 AM
Camera shake threshold John Wright Digital Photography 57 October 3rd 04 07:43 PM
Camera shake and lp/mm RolandRB Medium Format Photography Equipment 97 August 25th 04 09:23 PM