What caused the horizontal stripes in my picture? How do I fix it?

Old October 28th 04, 05:50 PM
Bubba

Default What caused the horizontal stripes in my picture? How do I fix it?

Please look at the picture at the following link:

http://www.frankiesilver.com/Music/bad picture 001.jpg

The picture was taken via an Olympus C5060. It was stored on a CF
memory card. The image looked fine on the camera, but when I loaded it
to the PC and viewed it in Adobe Elements 2.0 or Ms Photo / Fax
viewer, it appears with stripes. How can I fix the picture? What
caused the problem?
Old October 28th 04, 06:36 PM
Joseph Meehan

Looks like the file was corrupted to me.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

om...

Old October 28th 04, 10:44 PM
Robert

Try a in camera reformat

"Jim Townsend" wrote in message
Bubba wrote:

Please look at the picture at the following link:

http://www.frankiesilver.com/Music/bad picture 001.jpg

The picture was taken via an Olympus C5060. It was stored on a CF
memory card. The image looked fine on the camera, but when I loaded it
to the PC and viewed it in Adobe Elements 2.0 or Ms Photo / Fax
viewer, it appears with stripes. How can I fix the picture? What
caused the problem?

Looks like the memory card is bad, or the image has been corrupted

somehow.
Perhaps during the transfer.

I've seen similar lines on images I was getting from one of my CF cards

that
started generating camera errors.

There's no way to fix it.. Do you still have the original on the flash
card ? If so, try copy it again.

Old October 28th 04, 10:58 PM

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 17:36:27 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

"Bubba" wrote in message
om...
Please look at the picture at the following link:

http://www.frankiesilver.com/Music/bad picture 001.jpg

The picture was taken via an Olympus C5060. It was stored on a CF
memory card. The image looked fine on the camera, but when I loaded it
to the PC and viewed it in Adobe Elements 2.0 or Ms Photo / Fax
viewer, it appears with stripes. How can I fix the picture? What
caused the problem?

Looks like the file was corrupted to me.

Did you try looking at it in Explorer (assumong Windows here)
before looking at it in Elements? When you say "loaded", do you mean
read the card in a reader or downloaded directly from the camera with
the card still in it.
Old October 29th 04, 01:38 PM
Bubba

The picture at the hotlink was loaded via a memory card reader and not
directly from the camera's usb port. What is strange is all the pictures
stored on the cf card looked great when viewed on the camera.

I recovered all the corrupted pictures by copying them with the camera'a
edit / copy feature to the xd memory card in the camera. Then I loaded them
from the xd card onto the pc via memory card reader.

I reformatted the cf memory card which appears to have corrected the
problem. Thanks for the suggestions.

"Robert" wrote in message
Try a in camera reformat

Old October 30th 04, 05:47 AM
Hunt

says...

Please look at the picture at the following link:

http://www.frankiesilver.com/Music/bad picture 001.jpg

The picture was taken via an Olympus C5060. It was stored on a CF
memory card. The image looked fine on the camera, but when I loaded it
to the PC and viewed it in Adobe Elements 2.0 or Ms Photo / Fax
viewer, it appears with stripes. How can I fix the picture? What
caused the problem?

As others have stated, your JPG is corrupted. Did you Copy, or Move the file(
s) to your HDD? One should always Copy in the transfer process, so that the
original files are still on the card. If they are still there, then you might
want to check your transfer process, i.e. cables, software, drivers, etc. then
try it all over again. If they are still on card, try looking at them with the
camera again. If they are OK, you probably have a glitch in your transfer
process. Take the card to a commercial photo shop and pay to have the images
transfered and burned to CD, or similar.

If they were Move(d) in the transfer, then this is a valuable lesson on why
one never does that. You might still be able to recover the images from the
card, provided that you have not re-formatted it, or recorded over that data.
Even re-format might be recoverable, but you'll need to Google for softare to
try that.

Good luck,
Hunt