Lightroom Classic problem.

Old November 6th 20, 03:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Lightroom Classic problem.

A weird problem. I yesterday imported three folders into LR.

One is OK but two are not showing. Attempts to import them a second
time are rejected on the grounds that they are already imported.
Possibly they have been imported into an incorrect folder. While I can
use the filter function to locate individual files in the missing
folder I cannot identify where they are stored. All the advice I have
been able to locate is about how to locate files missing from folders.
My problem is that I have the files (somewhere) but don't seem to have
the folders. In any case, there are too many mislocated files for me
to want to track them down one by one.

I would be grateful for any advice or help that anyone can offer.

Eric Stevens
Old November 6th 20, 04:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Nov 5, 2020, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

A weird problem. I yesterday imported three folders into LR.

One is OK but two are not showing. Attempts to import them a second
time are rejected on the grounds that they are already imported.
Possibly they have been imported into an incorrect folder. While I can
use the filter function to locate individual files in the missing
folder I cannot identify where they are stored. All the advice I have
been able to locate is about how to locate files missing from folders.
My problem is that I have the files (somewhere) but don't seem to have
the folders. In any case, there are too many mislocated files for me
to want to track them down one by one.

I would be grateful for any advice or help that anyone can offer.

What were these folders?

Did they contain image files from the same shoot, or were they from separate shoots on a variety of dates?

Were they original image files, archives of original files, or edited image files?

I assume that you have those folders with the files intact. The individual file info should have the creation date, and that should give you some idea of where LR directed them on import.

In the Library Module, have you checked the “Previous Import” folder?
That should show some of those imports from the final import folder regardless of the creation dates of each file, and their current location.

When you navigate to each of the folders to be imported have you checked the Import Mode, and the “Destination” column on the right side?
The folder that the files have been, or should have been directed to should have a check mark appear next to them.

Good luck

Savageduck

Old November 6th 20, 08:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 05 Nov 2020 20:09:39 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

[...]

I made a rapid tour around the country and came bak with about 540
shots of:

The Steam Museum
The Aviation Heritage Centre
The Marlborough Car Museum
The Edwin Fox Museum

[The steam museum is an undescribable collection of steam engines,
locomotives, generating sets, and refrigerating equipment. You would
love the Aviation Heritage collection into which Peter Jackson and his
associated film companies have put a tremendous effort. The car museum
is barely worth a visit. The Edwin Fox is the remains of a teak-built
sailing ship fom 1850]

As usual I usd Nikon NX2 to download the NEF files into a numberred
folder in IN BOX. I then colpied the appropriate files into
appropriately named folders in my file system.

At this point I imported The Aviation Heritage Centre into Light Room.
I then tried to import Edwin Fox and then Steam Museum. In each case
the import screen filled up with images, which then vanished, leaving
a message that they appeared to be duplicates of files already in the
system.

Fortunately, I still have all the files intact in IN BOX. I also have
the files in the camera. My problem is that Lightroom does not
acknowledge the existence of folders for Edwin Fox or Aviation
Heritage. I can use the filter to find individual files which seem to
have been imported into Lightroom but I can't identify which folder
they are in. If only I could identify their present location I could
ask Lightroom to delete them and then try once more to import them.

It may or not be relevant that the importatiuon was the first thing I
did after LR was upgraded and the database upgraded to Ver-10. I do
have things backed up, so I could go back to the previous lrcat files
and start all over again, but I would rather not do this if I can
avoid it.

Were they original image files, archives of original files, or edited image files?

I assume that you have those folders with the files intact. The individual file info should have the creation date, and that should give you some idea of where LR directed them on import.

In the Library Module, have you checked the “Previous Import” folder?
That should show some of those imports from the final import folder regardless of the creation dates of each file, and their current location.

I'm afraid they are not there. The latest is 17/10/2019 and I know I
have imported images since then.

When you navigate to each of the folders to be imported have you checked the Import Mode, and the “Destination” column on the right side?
The folder that the files have been, or should have been directed to should have a check mark appear next to them.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Good luck

Eric Stevens
Old November 6th 20, 11:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
geoff

On 6/11/2020 4:23 pm, Eric Stevens wrote:
A weird problem. I yesterday imported three folders into LR.

One is OK but two are not showing. Attempts to import them a second
time are rejected on the grounds that they are already imported.
Possibly they have been imported into an incorrect folder. While I can
use the filter function to locate individual files in the missing
folder I cannot identify where they are stored. All the advice I have
been able to locate is about how to locate files missing from folders.
My problem is that I have the files (somewhere) but don't seem to have
the folders. In any case, there are too many mislocated files for me
to want to track them down one by one.

I would be grateful for any advice or help that anyone can offer.

Windows ? Type what you know of the foldername into the search bar,
then click see more results.

geoff
Old November 6th 20, 12:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Nov 6, 2020, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

wrote:

[...]

I know that we each use our own methodology when it comes to various LR functions such as *Import*. I do not use any third party app from Nikon, or Fuji to create named folders. I import direct from memory card, camera, or from a folder on a backup HDD/SSD. In my case all my image files are imported by DATE and are subject tagged after the import Using *Rename*. I keep the date intact and add information to that, so on a two day visit to Yosemite NP I might have two LR Library folders 2017-05-14 Yosemite& 2017-05-15 Yosemite. I then select files from those two folders to go into a *Collection* “Yosemite 2017”.

I suspect the trip through Nikon NX2 to your IN BOX, and copied to “appropriately named” folder in your file system has screwed things up for LR.

Were they original image files, archives of original files, or edited image files?

I assume that you have those folders with the files intact. The individual file info should have the creation date, and that should give you some idea of where LR directed them on import.

In the Library Module, have you checked the “Previous Import” folder?
That should show some of those imports from the final import folder regardless of the creation dates of each file, and their current location.

I'm afraid they are not there. The latest is 17/10/2019 and I know I
have imported images since then.

Do you have dated LR Catalog folders showing dates of of your lost shoots?

When you navigate to each of the folders to be imported have you checked the Import Mode, and the “Destination” column on the right side?
The folder that the files have been, or should have been directed to should have a check mark appear next to them.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

In the LR Import window my right hand column looks like this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w8mf4l1221dej69/screenshot_474.jpg

If I try to re-import a folder or an archive (or in your case your lost image folders/files) the locations they would be imported to, or were previously imported should show in that column.

The check mark shows where the new files would be saved.

Good luck

Savageduck

Old November 6th 20, 12:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

As usual I usd Nikon NX2 to download the NEF files into a numberred
folder in IN BOX. I then colpied the appropriate files into
appropriately named folders in my file system.

don't do that.

import directly into lightroom and manage the photos there.
Old November 6th 20, 10:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

[...]

I don't see why. All NX2 does is put everything into a folder (just an
ordinary folder) from which (in this case) I moved files to other
folders from which in turn I imported to Lightroom.

I don't import from my camera with Lightroom as some of my shots are
processed with Photoshop or even DxO. I use a basic filing system
within which images can (usually) be found without the aid of database
search.

I could do what I do in several different ways but I use NX2 as it has
useful controls over various aspects of the import and most helpfully
it sets the clock on my camera to the correct time and date.

Were they original image files, archives of original files, or edited image files?

I assume that you have those folders with the files intact. The individual file info should have the creation date, and that should give you some idea of where LR directed them on import.

In the Library Module, have you checked the “Previous Import” folder?
That should show some of those imports from the final import folder regardless of the creation dates of each file, and their current location.

I'm afraid they are not there. The latest is 17/10/2019 and I know I
have imported images since then.

Do you have dated LR Catalog folders showing dates of of your lost shoots?

4/10/2020

When you navigate to each of the folders to be imported have you checked the Import Mode, and the “Destination” column on the right side?
The folder that the files have been, or should have been directed to should have a check mark appear next to them.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

In the LR Import window my right hand column looks like this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w8mf4l1221dej69/screenshot_474.jpg

If I try to re-import a folder or an archive (or in your case your lost image folders/files) the locations they would be imported to, or were previously imported should show in that column.

The check mark shows where the new files would be saved.

Aha! I have never before used that column or even felt the need for
it. However, I have for the first time, noted "Don't import suspected
duplicates". I have turned that off and have now imported the
suspected duplicates.

Good luck

This is a good example of two people talking in general where one
unwittingly gave key information to the other. Many thanks for helping
me solve my problems.

Eric Stevens
Old November 6th 20, 10:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 7 Nov 2020 00:06:57 +1300, geoff
wrote:

On 6/11/2020 4:23 pm, Eric Stevens wrote:
A weird problem. I yesterday imported three folders into LR.

One is OK but two are not showing. Attempts to import them a second
time are rejected on the grounds that they are already imported.
Possibly they have been imported into an incorrect folder. While I can
use the filter function to locate individual files in the missing
folder I cannot identify where they are stored. All the advice I have
been able to locate is about how to locate files missing from folders.
My problem is that I have the files (somewhere) but don't seem to have
the folders. In any case, there are too many mislocated files for me
to want to track them down one by one.

I would be grateful for any advice or help that anyone can offer.

Windows ? Type what you know of the foldername into the search bar,
then click see more results.

I have no problem finding the named folders in Windows. It's just that
they have not transferred into Lightroom, even though lightroom thinks
it has their contents. Anyway, the problem may now be solved.

Eric Stevens
Old November 7th 20, 12:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_8_]

wrote:

[...]

Import to Lightroom is usually my first move as my normal workflow is LR-PS.

I don't import from my camera with Lightroom as some of my shots are
processed with Photoshop or even DxO. I use a basic filing system
within which images can (usually) be found without the aid of database
search.

I don't go from Photoshop to Lightroom. LR is my asset manager so after basic
RAW processing in LR, I will go from LR to PS if I need more advanced tools
than I have in LR. Then I save back to LR from PS. I have other tools which I
use as plug-ins for both LR & PS.

I could do what I do in several different ways but I use NX2 as it has
useful controls over various aspects of the import and most helpfully
it sets the clock on my camera to the correct time and date.

If it works for you, great. It is just not the way I would go about importing
into LR.

Were they original image files, archives of original files, or edited
image files?

I assume that you have those folders with the files intact. The
individual file info should have the creation date, and that should give
you some idea of where LR directed them on import.

In the Library Module, have you checked the “Previous Import” folder?
That should show some of those imports from the final import folder
regardless of the creation dates of each file, and their current
location.

I'm afraid they are not there. The latest is 17/10/2019 and I know I
have imported images since then.

Do you have dated LR Catalog folders showing dates of of your lost shoots?

4/10/2020

I gather that is non-US date notation, i.e. "4th of October 2020"

[...]

Great! The important thing is you have the image file in Lightroom, and you
can move on from there
Savageduck

Old November 7th 20, 09:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

[...]

Ah well ... my system was set up well before I had either Lightroom or
PS.

I don't import from my camera with Lightroom as some of my shots are
processed with Photoshop or even DxO. I use a basic filing system
within which images can (usually) be found without the aid of database
search.

I don't go from Photoshop to Lightroom. LR is my asset manager so after basic
RAW processing in LR, I will go from LR to PS if I need more advanced tools
than I have in LR. Then I save back to LR from PS. I have other tools which I
use as plug-ins for both LR & PS.

For example, I have 16 shots of a large highly detailed poster which I
am going to assemble into one using PS. I don't in any way need LR for
this.

[...]

Correct.

[...]

I have now processed the Steam Museum. The Aviation centre is the next
step. Edwin Fox to follow.

Eric Stevens