Do average photos today all basically stink?

Old July 9th 13, 11:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter Jason

Default Do average photos today all basically stink?

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 23:39:23 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

On Tuesday, June 25, 2013 1:40:17 AM UTC-4, RichA wrote:
An interesting article. Maybe not for its conclusions, depending on your view, but that someone took the time to at least think about things, something not done much in today's photography.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...4086/?page=all

Let me guess, you are an avid iPhone shooter?

My mother & her mother were avid snapshooters and
gave almost all the photos away though the ones
remaining added up to quite a few. The negatives
(all 5x4 but a few smaller) were tossed without
wrappings into a large communal shoe box that
weight quite a few kilos. Alas, father threw the
box and contents away after mother died and we're
all very ****ed off about it! The negs went back
to the 1910s.

What hope in hell do all those snaps via iPhones
have!?
Old July 10th 13, 01:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mitch Bujard

On 2013-07-09 22:09:40 +0000, Peter Jason said:

My mother & her mother were avid snapshooters and
gave almost all the photos away though the ones
remaining added up to quite a few. The negatives
(all 5x4 but a few smaller) were tossed without
wrappings into a large communal shoe box that
weight quite a few kilos. Alas, father threw the
box and contents away after mother died and we're
all very ****ed off about it! The negs went back
to the 1910s.

What hope in hell do all those snaps via iPhones
have!?

My Grand Father was a photographer. My Grand Mother put all glass
negatives in the attic. After his death, the stuff was so heavy, it
nearly collapsed the floor. All the archives went to the dumpster,
thanks to my looser uncle.

My father inherited albums with all his ancestors from the century
before. Mother decided that to prevent pictures to end up at the flea
market, it was better to burn them.

Negatives can last over 100 years in a dry environment. They never last
in front of ignorance.

As for iPhone quick spans, how many of them would be worth the paper to
print them on ? Notwidhstanding, a firne of mine mentionned that lady
who keeps an older phone because it contains SMS from her dead
daughter. Memories last as long as someone remembers.

--
Mitch Bujard
Fonts for Zaner-Bloser and Dnealian worksheets

Old July 10th 13, 06:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mitch Bujard
wrote:

Negatives can last over 100 years in a dry environment. They never last
in front of ignorance.

they will have deteriorated, and there's only one copy so if the house
burns down or other disaster, they're gone.

As for iPhone quick spans, how many of them would be worth the paper to
print them on ?

some might, but printing is no longer required.

how many negatives are worth the paper to print them on, which do need
to be printed?

Notwidhstanding, a firne of mine mentionned that lady
who keeps an older phone because it contains SMS from her dead
daughter. Memories last as long as someone remembers.

same for film.
Old July 10th 13, 06:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mitch Bujard

On 2013-07-10 17:18:44 +0000, nospam said:

Notwidhstanding, a firne of mine mentionned that lady
who keeps an older phone because it contains SMS from her dead
daughter. Memories last as long as someone remembers.

same for film.

My point exactly. Picture conservation is less a question of
technology, as it is what people want to do with it. Or not.

Trying to judge pictures only from technical quality standpoint does
not factor in the human part of the equation.