Sigma 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 APO EX DG Macro

Old August 9th 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ole kvaal

Default Sigma 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 APO EX DG Macro

Not even an amateur yet, I've been fiddling around with my Nikon D70s
long enough to find that I sometimes wish I had a tele lens. I had a
look at the above in a photo shop, but I'm not qualified to say whether
it would be the right choice for me, nor am I able to make enough sense
of tests or online photo mags. So I come here to ask for any advice
regarding the lens, before I eventually get to buying one.

Thanks in advance (?)
ole k

Old August 9th 07, 08:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_4_]

ole kvaal wrote:
Not even an amateur yet, I've been fiddling around with my Nikon D70s
long enough to find that I sometimes wish I had a tele lens. I had a
look at the above in a photo shop, but I'm not qualified to say
whether it would be the right choice for me, nor am I able to make
enough sense of tests or online photo mags. So I come here to ask for
any advice regarding the lens, before I eventually get to buying one.

Thanks in advance (?)
ole k

With telephoto lenses, you may want to consider if VR/IS (vibration
reduction, image stabilisation) is something which will be useful to you.
When shooting in windy or moving environments, I find VR/IS invaluable.

Nikon do offer a low-cost VR lens - the 55 - 200mm. It's about US $250.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/55-200mm-vr.htm

Cheers,
David

Old August 9th 07, 09:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ole kvaal

David J Taylor wrote:
With telephoto lenses, you may want to consider if VR/IS (vibration
reduction, image stabilisation) is something which will be useful to you.
When shooting in windy or moving environments, I find VR/IS invaluable.

Nikon do offer a low-cost VR lens - the 55 - 200mm. It's about US $250.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/55-200mm-vr.htm

Thanks a lot. Compared to Norwegian prices, this is also a true bargain.
Anyway, I'll start checking on the used market. Thanks again for your
advice.

rgds,
ole k
Old August 9th 07, 09:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

"ole kvaal" wrote in message
David J Taylor wrote:
With telephoto lenses, you may want to consider if VR/IS (vibration
reduction, image stabilisation) is something which will be useful to you.
When shooting in windy or moving environments, I find VR/IS invaluable.

Nikon do offer a low-cost VR lens - the 55 - 200mm. It's about US $250.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/55-200mm-vr.htm

Thanks a lot. Compared to Norwegian prices, this is also a true bargain.
Anyway, I'll start checking on the used market. Thanks again for your
advice.

rgds,
ole k

The macro feature is also pretty reasonable on the Sigma lens, here is a
shot I took using this lens.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/165/4...563ce9d0_o.jpg

And here is one at normal tele settings.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/206/4...0f3cb383_o.jpg

Old August 9th 07, 09:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ole kvaal

Pete D wrote:
The macro feature is also pretty reasonable on the Sigma lens, here is a
shot I took using this lens.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/165/4...563ce9d0_o.jpg

And here is one at normal tele settings.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/206/4...0f3cb383_o.jpg

Now those were rather impressive, and make me reconsider the Sigma lens.
Has the bird picture been much photoshopped?

Thanks a lot,
ole k
Old August 10th 07, 07:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_4_]

ole kvaal wrote:
David J Taylor wrote:
With telephoto lenses, you may want to consider if VR/IS (vibration
reduction, image stabilisation) is something which will be useful to
you. When shooting in windy or moving environments, I find VR/IS
invaluable. Nikon do offer a low-cost VR lens - the 55 - 200mm. It's
about US
$250. http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/55-200mm-vr.htm

Thanks a lot. Compared to Norwegian prices, this is also a true
bargain. Anyway, I'll start checking on the used market. Thanks again
for your advice.

rgds,
ole k

You may be able to find this cheaper online. Whilst I would not recommend
them as a supplier:

Pixmania: GBP 223
http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/5367...nikkor-55.html

Cheers,
David

Old August 10th 07, 11:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Gordon MacPherson

"ole kvaal" wrote in message
Not even an amateur yet, I've been fiddling around with my Nikon D70s long
enough to find that I sometimes wish I had a tele lens. I had a look at
the above in a photo shop, but I'm not qualified to say whether it would
be the right choice for me, nor am I able to make enough sense of tests or
online photo mags. So I come here to ask for any advice regarding the
lens, before I eventually get to buying one.

Thanks in advance (?)
ole k

I had the Sigma lens with my Canon 350D. I really liked the macro but was
unhappy with the performance at 300mm. I mortgated several birthdayt and
Christmases and bought the Canon 70-200 f4 L IS (image stabilised) lens +
the 1.4x tele-extender. The difference is amazing - the sharpness at full
tele is stunning compared to the sigma and I can take pics at full tele
without my monpod and get excellent results

Gordon

Old August 10th 07, 07:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RobertJM

"David J Taylor"
wrote in message k...
ole kvaal wrote:
David J Taylor wrote:
[...]

There are also quite a few on ebay from the same supplier £135 'buy now'.
Not that I have bought one, or can vouch for the seller.

--
RobertJM

Old August 10th 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

"ole kvaal" wrote in message
Pete D wrote:
The macro feature is also pretty reasonable on the Sigma lens, here is a
shot I took using this lens.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/165/4...563ce9d0_o.jpg

And here is one at normal tele settings.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/206/4...0f3cb383_o.jpg

Now those were rather impressive, and make me reconsider the Sigma lens.
Has the bird picture been much photoshopped?

Thanks a lot,
ole k

Generally I am not a heavy PPer and this would be no exception. Do keep in
mind that all these lenses are at least a bit soft at the extremities and
looking at the price they are pretty compromise. I find www.photozone.de
invaluable for their lens testing, sometimes the same lens on different
systems give a different result.

Old August 10th 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

"Gordon MacPherson" wrote in message

"ole kvaal" wrote in message
[...]

At 3-4 times the price I would expect nothing less.