At long last... Canon S2 IS announced!!

Old April 22nd 05, 08:38 PM
PTravel

Default At long last... Canon S2 IS announced!!

"Dizzledorf" wrote in message
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/05042201canons2is.asp

5 MP DiGiC II, *12x* stabilized optical zoom, 1.8" tilt/swivel LCD,
640x480 30fps DV quality video, AF assist lamp, shoot stills while
recording movies...

Sample pics & video:
http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/pss2is/sample-e.html

Ya-hoo-hoo. I'm requesting the first US model off the line.

Well, for one thing, it's not "DV quality video," which, for NTSC, is 720 x
480 pixels.

DIZZLE
(wipes drool from chin and hits "Send")

Old April 22nd 05, 10:43 PM
Renee

"Dizzledorf" wrote in message
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/05042201canons2is.asp

5 MP DiGiC II, *12x* stabilized optical zoom, 1.8" tilt/swivel LCD,
640x480 30fps DV quality video, AF assist lamp, shoot stills while
recording movies...

Sample pics & video:
http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/pss2is/sample-e.html

Ya-hoo-hoo. I'm requesting the first US model off the line.

DIZZLE
(wipes drool from chin and hits "Send")

I read the review and though it's too new to say for certain, this looks
like one I'd want, too. :-)

Too bad the camera manufacturers don't have a trade-in, upgrade program for
repeat buyers like there is with some brands of computers. As far as Ebay or
the classified ads go, there's probably not much of a market for used S1s
seeing how a brand new one is so reasonably priced. Looks like I'll have to
stick with my current model for the next few years. By then there'll be
something else that's come along. Oh well

Renee

Old April 22nd 05, 11:10 PM
Renee

Oh never mind, my mistake. This one uses SD flash memory. Not something I'd
care to consider with my investment in 4 CF cards at the moment. It'd be a
different story for someone starting out where it made no difference to
them.

--
Renee
.. .

Old April 22nd 05, 11:28 PM
David J Taylor

Dizzledorf wrote:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/05042201canons2is.asp

Thanks for that - Canon about one year behind the competition. Looks
nice, although it's a shame about the AA batteries (single cells are much
easier to change in the field) and the colour (silver). I'll wait and see
the actual image performance at higher ISOs before commenting further,
though.

David

Old April 23rd 05, 12:54 AM
Ron Hunter

Renee wrote:
[...]

I wasn't impressed with the depth of field in the macro mode, but then
most cameras don't have a lot of DOF in macro. No sign of Chromatic
aberration. That's nice. No illustration of the IS module action, or
the 12x zoom. All in all, not a great review.

--
Ron Hunter
Old April 23rd 05, 12:55 AM
Ron Hunter

David J Taylor wrote:
Dizzledorf wrote:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/05042201canons2is.asp

Thanks for that - Canon about one year behind the competition. Looks
nice, although it's a shame about the AA batteries (single cells are much
easier to change in the field) and the colour (silver). I'll wait and see
the actual image performance at higher ISOs before commenting further,
though.

David

I am sure the color will adversely affect the quality of the pictures...
And most people would consider AA batteries an advantage.

--
Ron Hunter

Old April 23rd 05, 03:35 AM
Mark B.

"PTravel" wrote in message

"Dizzledorf" wrote in message
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/05042201canons2is.asp

5 MP DiGiC II, *12x* stabilized optical zoom, 1.8" tilt/swivel LCD,
640x480 30fps DV quality video, AF assist lamp, shoot stills while
recording movies...

Sample pics & video:
http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/pss2is/sample-e.html

Ya-hoo-hoo. I'm requesting the first US model off the line.

Well, for one thing, it's not "DV quality video," which, for NTSC, is 720
480 pixels.

So what - are there *any* point 'n shoot digicams that have DV video?

Mark

Old April 23rd 05, 04:36 AM
Mark˛

"PTravel" wrote in message

"Dizzledorf" wrote in message
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/05042201canons2is.asp

5 MP DiGiC II, *12x* stabilized optical zoom, 1.8" tilt/swivel LCD,
640x480 30fps DV quality video, AF assist lamp, shoot stills while
recording movies...

Sample pics & video:
http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/pss2is/sample-e.html

Ya-hoo-hoo. I'm requesting the first US model off the line.

Well, for one thing, it's not "DV quality video," which, for NTSC, is 720
480 pixels.

I downloaded the 22MB video clip... and I must say it is by FAR the best
looking digicam-produced video I've yet seen.
-Easily good enough for p resentation on a television.

The fact that you can shoot a full resolution still image in the middle of
shooting video is VERY cool.
This would make a great teaching tool for photography skills!
Not only could you describe what you're doing while letting the viewer see
through your viewfinder, but they can see exactly when you shoot the image
itself. I think this could be used to GREAT effect as a photography
teaching tool.