What is a fair percentage markdown for used EOS amateur lenses?

Old March 29th 05, 04:34 AM

Default What is a fair percentage markdown for used EOS amateur lenses?

I thought I'd try to save some money on a lens I was looking for, by
looking on craigslist.org for used ones. I expected to pay maybe 70-75%
of the new price for a lens in excellent condition (about what B&H
charges for used lenses, though I understand that B&H typically pays
around 35-45% of the new price).

The lens in question, I could purchase new, with a warranty, including
shipping, for a net cost of $366.74. Two sellers on craigslist were
selling this lens, one for $375, one for $450. I would have a hard time
finding any retailer selling it new for as high as $450. The seller
with the $375 price had a warning in his post that people should not
offer him $300 (he meant more, not less!).

I put up a post offering $300, and, in violation of Craigslist Terms of
Service, soon saw posts saying that I was lying about the price I could
get it for new, and claiming that people on eBay routinely pay $375 for
this lens.

Are there that many people overpaying for used items, that sellers can
routinely get away with overcharging for used items?

I know that used L lenses tend to get retain their value pretty well
(70-80%), but I though that 70% of new is rather generous for a used
amateur lens, and actually I was offering 82% of what I could get it
for.

What is a fair markdown percentage for used EOS amateur lenses?

Steve

Old March 29th 05, 06:11 PM

ecm wrote:

I think you should look to B&H, Adorama, KEH, and others for pricing

of
used equipment - and pay perhaps 5-10% less than they ask, because
you're dealing with a private individual (supposedly). The great
advantage to buying used from B&H et al. is the return policy - if

the
lens is broken, even if it's not their fault, they'll refund your

money
or replace the lens.

That's what I did. I couldn't find the exact lens, but I looked at the
percentage of new that B&H was selling other lenses for, and figured it
from there.

I think you're talking about the ad on craiglist for the Canon EF
75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, no? It looks like the guy is into the lens a
bit too deep - he probably paid full Ritz camera retail for it.

You're probably right. I've seen ads on craigslist many times where the
seller actually states the price they paid, which is much higher than
the item can actually be bought for new, then they expect to get 80% of
the price they paid!

Maybe someone will give him his price; it just doesn't have to be

you. After
all, there's one born.... Ahhhh, free enterprise! Can't you smell
it???? The pic he posted doesn't exactly sell the lens, either. Just
move on. If the guy is trying to play you by breaking the rules,

report
him. Keep your eyes open, and eventually someone will sell a used one
in your price range... or you'll save enough to pay for a new one.

If the seller is a friend or relative that you can depend on, then
sometimes you can do them a favor and buy their used item for not a big
loss, if you were going to buy it anyway. I've sold bicycles for what I
paid new, simply because, I could obtain another one in a way the buyer
could not (they were only available in a country that I frequently
travelled to); I was doing them a favor, and it was a hassle for to me
to go buy a replacement and carry it back, so I would not take a loss.