5x7 color prints plus high-rez scans?

Old March 10th 05, 11:01 PM
Tombo

Default 5x7 color prints plus high-rez scans?

Hi all,

I have tried the Kodak Picture CD which provides fairly low rez
(1024x1536) scans and leaves the CD over 90% empty. how nice.

Is there a reasonable way get a roll of 24 exposure color print film
developed and printed at 5"x7" with high-resolution film scan on CD?

Thanks, Tom

Old March 11th 05, 12:13 AM
Michael Weinstein

On 2005-03-10 18:01:59 -0500, Tombo said:

Hi all,

I have tried the Kodak Picture CD which provides fairly low rez
(1024x1536) scans and leaves the CD over 90% empty. how nice.

Is there a reasonable way get a roll of 24 exposure color print film
developed and printed at 5"x7" with high-resolution film scan on CD?

Thanks, Tom

Long ago (well, in the '90s) Kodak had not the Picture CD but the Photo
CD which did have multiple resolution scans. The highest resolution
scan was pretty good for 8x10. I have some. I don't know if they still
do it.
--
Michael | "You're going to need a bigger boat."

Old March 11th 05, 12:21 AM
Bill Tuthill

Tombo wrote:

I have tried the Kodak Picture CD which provides fairly low rez
(1024x1536) scans and leaves the CD over 90% empty. how nice.

They could give them to you in TIFF format, but then it might compete
with lousy digital cameras another arm of the company is trying to sell.

Is there a reasonable way get a roll of 24 exposure color print film
developed and printed at 5"x7" with high-resolution film scan on CD?

An Agfa d-Lab can make good-quality 3000x2000 pixel scans on CDR, also
unfortunately JPEG, for around $8 per roll. Here is a lab finder.
Zip code and telephone code didn't work well yesterday, so specify
a large nearby city or town.

http://www.agfanet.com/en/dealerloc/...item=1hservice

Noritsu QSS labs also produce better scans from film than Frontier labs,
but I have no idea how to find a QSS lab near you.

Old March 11th 05, 01:02 PM
dooey

"Bill Tuthill" wrote in message ...
Tombo wrote:

I have tried the Kodak Picture CD which provides fairly low rez
(1024x1536) scans and leaves the CD over 90% empty. how nice.

They could give them to you in TIFF format, but then it might compete
with lousy digital cameras another arm of the company is trying to sell.

Is there a reasonable way get a roll of 24 exposure color print film
developed and printed at 5"x7" with high-resolution film scan on CD?

An Agfa d-Lab can make good-quality 3000x2000 pixel scans on CDR, also
unfortunately JPEG, for around $8 per roll. Here is a lab finder.
Zip code and telephone code didn't work well yesterday, so specify
a large nearby city or town.

http://www.agfanet.com/en/dealerloc/...item=1hservice

Noritsu QSS labs also produce better scans from film than Frontier labs,
but I have no idea how to find a QSS lab near you.

I know of a pro-labs that has returned d-labs due to soft scans. D-labs do
have a slighly higher output but when it comes to scans I have to disagree.
Of course, there are a few different d-labs and a few different Frontiers. I
don't know very much about digital Noritsu.

And...as always, the difference between a poor operator and a good one can
make all the difference.

--
dooey.

Old March 11th 05, 05:10 PM
Bill Tuthill

dooey wrote:

I know of a pro-labs that has returned d-labs due to soft scans. D-labs do
have a slighly higher output but when it comes to scans I have to disagree.
Of course, there are a few different d-labs and a few different Frontiers.
I don't know very much about digital Noritsu.

Frontier lab scans aren't "soft" but they have an objectionable mesh pattern
that perhaps is intended to look like magazine halftone screening, but on a
monitor or inkjet printer looks like complete crap.

Perhaps Fuji has improved scanning in some Frontier models, but the Frontier
ranks at the bottom of the list in scan quality for me and for many posters
on photo.net, where you can see actual examples.

One guy who works in a Noritsu QSS lab posted a scan that was excellent,
but I'm not sure actual customers have access to such high resolution.

My complaint about the Agfa d-Lab.2 is mostly that I want TIFF instead of
JPEG scans, and considering that they are writing quality 98 JPEG files,
it is stupid not to have 1:1 chroma subsampling turned on.

Old March 11th 05, 06:36 PM
dooey

dooey wrote:

I know of a pro-labs that has returned d-labs due to soft scans. D-labs

do
have a slighly higher output but when it comes to scans I have to

disagree.
Of course, there are a few different d-labs and a few different

Frontiers.
I don't know very much about digital Noritsu.

Frontier lab scans aren't "soft" but they have an objectionable mesh

pattern
that perhaps is intended to look like magazine halftone screening, but on

monitor or inkjet printer looks like complete crap.

Interesting.

Are these poor scans with hyper sharpness turned off. I believe most pro
labs drop the sharpening when outputting to Pro CD or other external
outputs.

--
Dooey

Old March 11th 05, 11:52 PM
RSD99

"Bill Tuthill" posted:
"...
Noritsu QSS labs also produce better scans from film than Frontier labs,
but I have no idea how to find a QSS lab near you.
...."

Check with your local Costco ... most of their equipment is Noritsu, and
their prices are certainly "aggressive."

Old March 15th 05, 04:14 AM
Tom Russell

Most labs, mine included, provide both normal quality and high quality
scans. The 1536x1024 size, and a 2000x3000 (6 megapixel) scan which is
more than enough for most uses.

If kodak don't do it or have an option to do it, the solution is simple
- switch labs. Look for someone with an agfa d-lab.1/2/3 (as that's what
i use - i KNOW it can do high quality scans) - most independents
normally have good photo gear.

Regards,
Tom.