Agfa BW film expired in 1974; any sugestions how to shoot/process it?

Old March 2nd 05, 02:42 PM

'Process C-22' wrote:
Use the film if you want to. We are the experts in this field. We
process all types of antique and outdated film, and our current
overall success rate is 97.8%. We have recovered film from the
1920's, and offer 'old film+dev' packages for students and those who
want to experiment. It CAN work, like it or not. The aim of our
business is disproving the mistaken theory that old film should be
thrown away.

From the professionals who actually DO the job, film from 1974 can be
used and processed if desired, for experimental purposes. In fact,
one of our popular packages for students is E-4 roll film.

I would like to add one further note. We hardly ever post to this
group, even though we could offer a veritable amount of good advice

on
film. This is because of those who seek to ruin the experience for
everyone else.

The photographic newsgroups are for those who wish to seek and/or

give
useful information on the art and science of the subject, not for
flaming or posting abusive messages to those who want advice.
Traditional photography is sadly in decline and we should not seek to
discourage those who want to try something different. I would ask on
behalf of most of us, that in the future those Posters who cannot say
anything nice or helpful should refrain from saying anything at all.
Please do not ruin this unmoderated group for everyone else.
We all believe in freedom of speech, but not freedom of abuse.

Dominic Roberts, proprietor
Process C-22

info 'at' processc22.co.uk

You're full of ****. Cosmic rays/gamma rays ruin film, and after 30
years, it's thoroughly ruined.

Old March 2nd 05, 05:23 PM
Process C-22

This is the reason we don't come onto these forums much (if at all)
anymore. I urge everyone else to do the same, to get rid of this fool.

Check out this page from our old website (this one no longer
maintained, so disregard all other pages) These images were recovered
over 2001-2002 from films sent in to us for developing.

http://processc22.stormpages.com/gallery.html

We know our business well and we know what is right, period.

We will NOT be contributing to these newsgroups anymore from this date,
due to the foul, abusive and offensive language and manner of
' and a minority of others. Those readers
who would like sensible and courteous advice on the subject of film,
old or new, should contact us via email. Other helpful and courteous
individuals to consult and search for include Richard Knoppow, Francis
A Miniter, and Greg Miller.

Kind regards,

--------------------------

Old March 2nd 05, 06:10 PM

wrote:

You're full of ****. Cosmic rays/gamma rays ruin film, and after 30
years, it's thoroughly ruined.

Your ignorance is as proufound as it is wide. 30-year old unexposed
film is useless. You deal with exposed old film, to try to rescue
something for your customers. There is no earthly reason to use 30 year
old unexposed film. It's ****.

Old March 2nd 05, 08:15 PM

wrote:

You're full of ****. Cosmic rays/gamma rays ruin film, and after 30
years, it's thoroughly ruined.

1. There sia big difference between trying to salvage something useful
from old, exposed film (your business) and using 30-year-old film to
make new images on.

2. Would you design a meal around roadkill?

Old March 3rd 05, 11:10 PM
Smitty

You could perhaps try 4 parts of saturated solution of potassium oxalate
and one part of saturated solution of ferrous sulfate. Mix it together just
before developing. This is a slow developer (15 min) so you may need to
increase your exposures by 2 or 3 stops. It could work with very little fog
density. Nothing ventured nothing learned.
Smitty

news:2005022823531116807%notreallymeNOSPAM@ixnetco mcom...
On 2005-02-26 23:17:14 -0500, "Eloman Toeski via PhotoKB.com"
said:

A friend of mine bought a bunch of vintage photographic equipment from
estate sale.
In one of the bags, that he got with it we found this 120 BW film.
It is Agfa Isopan ISS, asa 100; stil in original packaging- looks quite
fresh ; )) I mean the box hasn't even faded and is bright orange. Its
expiration date is Jan '74 : D
I'd like to do some portraiture shots on it.
So, I guess it has lost it's speed, probably a few stops. I'm thinking I
should probably expose it at EI 25 at least, maybe even 15. Than... I
guess
I'll put it through Rodinal(?) Not sure what dillusion.
Any suggestions on how to deal with this geriatric emulsion ?!?

What is the point? There is newer, better, cheaper B&W film that will give
you good images, which this will not. If the box is pretty put it up on a
display shelf or in a shadow box with other vintage stuff.
--
Michael | "You're going to need a bigger boat."

Old March 4th 05, 03:38 PM
Smitty

Mike...You may want to try using 4 parts of saturated solution of
potassium oxalate and 1 part of saturated solution of ferrous sulfate.

It will be slow about 15 minutes. You may have to over expose the film
by 2 or three stops.

Smitty