develop E6 film as BW reversal

Old December 29th 04, 11:52 AM
De goede

Default develop E6 film as BW reversal

Hello,

Anybody got experience with developing out dated color reversal film
as BW reversal? I have done this on Kodachrome and it worked.
But this is special film.

I develop my own Super-8 films (50ft) BW rev in a LOMO tank.

These old Ektachrome are sometimes found at 1-2 $ a piece and
sometimes with sound stripe. Sound films are no longer
produced and it would be nice to process these things, still.
As these films are often over 10yrs old I expect heavy colorcast.

I appreciate reports on experiences.

Rgrds

Andre
NL

Old December 29th 04, 03:06 PM
Jordan W.

Andre,

On www.apug.org there is a discussion thread on this very topic at
the moment.

Jordan

Old December 31st 04, 09:58 AM
De goede

Nice forum, but the thread on E6 film is just the start question and no
replies...

"Jordan W." schreef in bericht

Old December 31st 04, 03:41 PM
Jordan W.

De goede wrote:
Nice forum, but the thread on E6 film is just the start question and no
replies...

Try this thread:

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11298
Old January 3rd 05, 04:02 AM
Tom Ellliott

I thought only Kodak could process Kodachrome....are you sure it was
Kodachome??
I have experimented processing the Ektachromes in color negative..c41 and
you get a color neg with no orange mask. Did it in 1961 when no real hi
speed color was available for slides or print. It gave a very contrasty neg
that could be printed in color by sandwhiching a clear processed unexposed
neg with your normal color pack with pretty good results, grainy like pushed
tri-x at 1000asa. But when you needed the shot that required high speed
color it was great. Kodak supported the unorthadox processing for a while by
give you the formula for an extra chemical you added to the c41 so you could
then process your c41 negs normally. If you did not add the chemical your
normal c41 negs were screwed and you could never color balance, thus it
became a dedicated line for the exktachromes processed as color negs with no
organge mask. Kodak then stopped supporting this way of processing because
they got a lot of complaints from people who really did not know their way
around a lab.
Since that was 1961-63 I really do not know if you can do that anymore.
The reaso I question your Kodacrome way is because only Kodak can process
that film. A friend of mine tried to process Kodachrome in an unorthadox
chemical and only got clear film with lots of black scum floating on top of
the chemicals.
Hope this helped.
Yours,
Tom

Old January 3rd 05, 06:53 AM
John

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 23:02:05 -0500, "Tom Ellliott"
wrote:

with lots of black scum floating on top of
the chemicals.

Remjet ?

Regards,

John S. Douglas, Photographer - http://www.puresilver.org
Please remove the "_" when replying via email
Old January 3rd 05, 01:07 PM
De goede

I definitely developed Kodachrome into BW reversal. I did one Super-8 50
feet
film. I had to remove a black coating by hand when it was still wet.
There are other people who have done it too.

The development time is a bit off on this one. I'll do some more
experiments.
Then I want to process a film which I found in a damaged camera which
I bought for research. Maybe I can find out what happened to the camera...

I would like to develop a number of Ektachrome Super-8 sound cartridges into
something useful. I expect a normal E6 process will yield a fully green
image.

Then I like BW better.

Rgrds

Andre

"Tom Ellliott" schreef in bericht
. ..

Old January 6th 05, 05:35 AM
Georges Giralt

De goede a écrit :
Hello,

Anybody got experience with developing out dated color reversal film
as BW reversal? I have done this on Kodachrome and it worked.
But this is special film.

I develop my own Super-8 films (50ft) BW rev in a LOMO tank.

These old Ektachrome are sometimes found at 1-2 $ a piece and
sometimes with sound stripe. Sound films are no longer
produced and it would be nice to process these things, still.
As these films are often over 10yrs old I expect heavy colorcast.

I appreciate reports on experiences.

Rgrds

Andre
NL

Hi !
I do not see what could make it go wrong ?
Of course, you'll have to fiddle a bit with dev times but you can use a
few inches to check.
Ekta has no masks, nor color mask you have to remove, so it should be
simpler than Kodachrome.
I've done B&W slides using E6 chemistry on C41 B&W film with not so bad
results so everything is possible ...
HAve a nice day !

A few little ditties...Pyro Staining and how the hell did I develop a roll of film in dim light without it fogging (or just plain being destroyed) Some Dude In The Darkroom 13 November 18th 04 12:09 AM
darkroom wannabe EC In The Darkroom 59 September 4th 04 01:45 AM
Kodak on Variable Film Development: NO! Michael Scarpitti In The Darkroom 276 August 12th 04 10:42 PM