Leica X1, only compact approved by Getty Images

Old August 9th 10, 03:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Rich[_6_]

Default Leica X1, only compact approved by Getty Images

What, no 1/2.3"sensored superzooms? I'm shocked.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Leica_X1
_The_first_compact_approved_by_Getty_news_300782.h tml

Old August 9th 10, 08:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Ofnuts

On 09/08/2010 04:06, Rich wrote:
What, no 1/2.3"sensored superzooms? I'm shocked.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Leica_X1
_The_first_compact_approved_by_Getty_news_300782.h tml

The X1 isn't even really a compact with its APS-C sensor.

--
Bertrand
Old August 9th 10, 09:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
bugbear

Ofnuts wrote:
On 09/08/2010 04:06, Rich wrote:
What, no 1/2.3"sensored superzooms? I'm shocked.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Leica_X1
_The_first_compact_approved_by_Getty_news_300782.h tml

The X1 isn't even really a compact with its APS-C sensor.

Since when is "compact" defined by sensor size?

BugBear
Old August 9th 10, 10:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Ofnuts

On 09/08/2010 10:07, bugbear wrote:
Ofnuts wrote:
On 09/08/2010 04:06, Rich wrote:
What, no 1/2.3"sensored superzooms? I'm shocked.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Leica_X1
_The_first_compact_approved_by_Getty_news_300782.h tml

The X1 isn't even really a compact with its APS-C sensor.

Since when is "compact" defined by sensor size?

Of course not, but between the sensor, the fixed prime lens, the metal
body, and the price, it ain't your typical compact either.

More worrying is to find that Getty Images has that weird "camera"
criterion.

--
Bertrand
Old August 9th 10, 12:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Bowser

"Rich" wrote in message
news
What, no 1/2.3"sensored superzooms? I'm shocked.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Leica_X1
_The_first_compact_approved_by_Getty_news_300782.h tml

Getty's list has been a joke for a long time:

http://contributors.gettyimages.com/...rticle_id=1346

No canon 5D II? No Nikon D3s? No Canon 7D? No Leica M9? Hmmm......

One other thing: Since the Leica X1 is amazingly slow, you'd best press that
button now for images of things that happen next week. It may be slow, but
is is expensive.

Old August 9th 10, 04:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-08-09 04:52:16 -0700, "Bowser" said:

"Rich" wrote in message
news
What, no 1/2.3"sensored superzooms? I'm shocked.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Leica_X1
_The_first_compact_approved_by_Getty_news_300782.h tml

Getty's list has been a joke for a long time:

http://contributors.gettyimages.com/...rticle_id=1346

No canon 5D II? No Nikon D3s? No Canon 7D? No Leica M9? Hmmm......

Even sillier, they list the D300 and not the D700?
....and if the D300, why not the D90?

Savageduck

Old August 9th 10, 06:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Bowser

On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 14:38:25 +0100, Bruce
wrote:

On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 07:52:16 -0400, "Bowser" wrote:
"Rich" wrote in message
news
What, no 1/2.3"sensored superzooms? I'm shocked.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Leica_X1
_The_first_compact_approved_by_Getty_news_300782.h tml

Getty's list has been a joke for a long time:

http://contributors.gettyimages.com/...rticle_id=1346

No canon 5D II? No Nikon D3s? No Canon 7D? No Leica M9? Hmmm......

One other thing: Since the Leica X1 is amazingly slow, you'd best press that
button now for images of things that happen next week. It may be slow, but
is is expensive.

You have obviously given the Leica X1 a detailed, extended trial, so
perhaps you could tell us what you believe are its good points?

What I mean is, you couldn't possibly have made comments such as those
you made above without having given the Leica X1 a detailed, extended
trial, could you? Because that would make those comments pure BS, and
we all know you have *such* a strong aversion to that. ;-)

I did try one, and gave up after a few hours. If you like it, go ahead
and blow a couple of grand on a nice slow P&S that offers no visible
advantages of most m4/3 cameras.

Then again, you can read the DP Review review, download the sample
images, examine their timings, etc. They've seen a few cams, and
probably have a pretty educated opinion.

Or you could just troll some more.
Old August 9th 10, 06:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Bowser

On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 08:37:14 -0700, Savageduck

On 2010-08-09 04:52:16 -0700, "Bowser" said:

"Rich" wrote in message
news
What, no 1/2.3"sensored superzooms? I'm shocked.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Leica_X1
_The_first_compact_approved_by_Getty_news_300782.h tml

Getty's list has been a joke for a long time:

http://contributors.gettyimages.com/...rticle_id=1346

No canon 5D II? No Nikon D3s? No Canon 7D? No Leica M9? Hmmm......

Even sillier, they list the D300 and not the D700?
...and if the D300, why not the D90?

Yes, it's a stupid and lame attempt to try and control the quality of
the images they collect based on camera make and model. No Sonys? Is
thee no other SLR on the market besides the two sacred cows capable of
producing a quality image? According to Getty, no. Very, very stupid
list.
Old August 9th 10, 07:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Andrew Templeman

Bowser wrote:

Getty's list has been a joke for a long time:

http://contributors.gettyimages.com/...rticle_id=1346

No canon 5D II? No Nikon D3s? No Canon 7D? No Leica M9? Hmmm......

Even sillier, they list the D300 and not the D700?
...and if the D300, why not the D90?

Yes, it's a stupid and lame attempt to try and control the quality of
the images they collect based on camera make and model. No Sonys? Is
thee no other SLR on the market besides the two sacred cows capable of
producing a quality image? According to Getty, no. Very, very stupid
list.

Looks like they just don't update the list very often. Everything on
there was introduced by Aug 2007. Are there any others of that vintage
that are missing?

--
Andy Templeman http://www.templeman.org.uk/
Old August 9th 10, 09:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
C. Werner

On 2010-08-09 04:52:16 -0700, "Bowser" said:

news What, no 1/2.3"sensored superzooms? *I'm shocked.

http://contributors.gettyimages.com/...asp?article_id...

No canon 5D II? No Nikon D3s? No Canon 7D? No Leica M9? Hmmm......

Even sillier, they list the D300 and not the D700?
...and if the D300, why not the D90?

Yes, it's a stupid and lame attempt to try and control the quality of
the images they collect based on camera make and model.

Alamy has some kind of test based on noise. However, I had no trouble
with a Panasonic G1 (or Nikon D300) images submitted.

All that it shows is to not deal with Getty in any way shape or form. Any
people running a company that are that amazingly ignorant and stupid are
not worth the bother and are not to be encouraged.