I really enjoy Photography and this forum but......

Old October 23rd 07, 05:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SpamFiltersR'Us

Default I really enjoy Photography and this forum but......

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 09:21:25 -0700, Paul Allen
wrote:

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 13:12:58 -0000
Tea Sunrise wrote:

...there seems to be a lot of spam posts on here. Is the best way of
dealing with this weeding through the spam to get to the interesting
posts?

The current issue of Scientific American has a brief report on research
into cockroach decapitation. It turns out that decapitated cockroach
bodies can survive a week or more. Severed cockroach heads survive
(continue to wiggle antennae, etc) for several hours.

I propose that we conduct this experiment on spammers. They are the
cockroaches of the net, after all. May not be the best solution, but
I like it.

:0)

If that won't fly, then the worst of it can be filtered out by a
reasonable newsreader. Apparently, even the much-maligned Outlook
Express has some capability in this area.

But, filtering on the client side is like painting the inside of
your basement to stop water leaking through from a burst main
out in the yard. The basement may be temporarily dry, but the
yard is a lake and the foundation is being undermined.

Which brings me back to decapitation of spammers...

Paul Allen

I could post a one-line spam filter here for anyone using Agent as their
news-reader. It filters out 99% of the spam, you don't see any of it. And any
new ones are easy to add to that one line of code. But why make it that simple
for everyone? It's a good learning experience for those that don't know how and
why they need to educate themselves.

Old October 23rd 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
JohnR66

"Don Stauffer in Minnesota" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 23, 8:12 am, Tea Sunrise wrote:
...there seems to be a lot of spam posts on here. Is the best way of
dealing with this weeding through the spam to get to the interesting
posts?

This brings up some questions I have about Usenet. It seems to be
falling apart. Many ISPs no longer support it. My ISP provides it but
will not act on any Usenet problems so I now use Google, which also
seems to be having problems lately (dropped messages and such). The
way I remember Usenet, each seperate newsgroup was hosted by a
particular server somewhere. Many were in obscure networks, often
Universities. Who hosts Usenet groups these days? Is it up to the
sysop of these networks to try and catch the spam at this point?

I am firmly opposed to moderated newsgroups (I try to use one that is
down for years at a time when the moderator dies or becomes disabled
with no co-moderator ever created). But it would be nice to do
SOMETHING. I also consider rpd to be one of the worst groups for a
lot of really juvenile posts.

While spam has been an issue for a number of years, Usenet has had a large
infiltration over the last couple of years along with the kooks who have a
mind set on attacking people (not to be confused with the occasional flame
war that some people get engaged with others in)

There were some really nice sci (science) based groups with low activity
that almost never seen spam befor a couple years ago. Now they are nearly
ruined.

Thanks to nice software, live Vbulletin and people with the time and money
to setup moderated boards, Usenet is becoming even more Useless. Let the
kooks and spammers have it.
John

Old October 23rd 07, 09:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Oct 23, 9:21 pm, Paul Allen
wrote:
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 13:12:58 -0000

The current issue of Scientific American has a brief report on research
into cockroach decapitation. It turns out that decapitated cockroach
bodies can survive a week or more. Severed cockroach heads survive
(continue to wiggle antennae, etc) for several hours.

That reminds me of a small incident involving a cockroach a
couple of months ago. I was going to test a laser printer that I
hadn't been using for some time. The first "print" that came out
was a sheet of paper with all six legs and two antennae of a
cockroach - not pictures, but the actual appendages.

I had visions of the body squashed and smeared in the innards of
the printer, requiring a tedious process of disassembly and
cleaning. But when I removed the toner cartridge, the limbless,
antennae-less body of the cockroach was lodged against the paper
input roller. I thought I'd be able to take it out easily with a
pair of tweezers, but then it started wriggling and I had a heck
of a time getting it out without dropping it into a more
inaccessible area.

When I dropped it on the floor, it could move a few millimeters
on the stubs of its legs. It would be interesting to know how
long it could survive like that, but I didn't want to make even
a cockroach suffer needlessly. So I took a picture and then
squashed it.

Here's a picture of the legs and antennae as they came out stuck
to the paper. The inset shows the body inside the printer.
http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f2..._Cockroach.jpg
If you have a problem with line wrap, here's a tinyURL :
http://tinyurl.com/yshlb3

Old October 23rd 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tom Hise

wrote:

...there seems to be a lot of spam posts on here. Is the best way of
dealing with this weeding through the spam to get to the interesting
posts?

Go for a independent NNTP provider (like Supernews
https://www.supernews.com/) You can get a 3GB/month account for $4 a month
or less if you get a yearly plan. They are very good at filtering spam and
I see very little of the crap in this NG unless some fool quotes the whole
garbage post in his (pointless) reply.

Tom Hise

Old October 24th 07, 02:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Bartram

"JohnR66" wrote

There were some really nice sci (science) based groups with low activity
that almost never seen spam befor a couple years ago. Now they are nearly
ruined.

Going much the same way as CB radio did. At least there you can *hear* that
the moronic ones are only 13 - 15 year old!

Paul

Old October 24th 07, 06:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kevin McMurtrie

In article .com,
Tea Sunrise wrote:

...there seems to be a lot of spam posts on here. Is the best way of
dealing with this weeding through the spam to get to the interesting
posts?

Block Google.
Old October 30th 07, 06:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

"H.S." wrote:

acl wrote:

edited, for brevity

Yes, my ISP also stopped providing it altogether last year, so I now
use google groups. It seems to be happening more and more recently.

Yup, same here. Bell Sympatico dropped it last year I think

I asked them about it and their reply was that not many people use
newsgroups anymore.

Hello, ACL & H.S.:

My dial-up ISP (Concentric) did the same thing, last winter. Hence,
I soon discovered "aioe.cjb.net" (a free NNTP server), which I've
been using, to both read and post to Usenet newsgroups, these past
eight months or so.

Please, go here, to learn mo

Aioe.org Home Page http://www.aioe.org

Good luck!