Your 8mm film home movies are decaying, transfer before itstoo...

Old March 19th 05, 07:24 AM

Default Your 8mm film home movies are decaying, transfer before itstoo...

I have just had my 8mm and super 8mm home movies transfered to DVD and I
have a few questions. First, how should I store my film? Currently I
have 2 reels in metal cans and the rest are in cardboard film boxes.
They are all in a acid free photo box in my closet. I live in Colorado
so it is a dry climate. I had the films tranfered to DVD only, now I
keep reading that they should first be transfered to a miniDV as a
master. Is this true? I was a little disapointed at the result of my
transfer. The film is out of focus in many spots and you can see it
fousing in and out and the movies on the DVD seem to be running just a
beat slower than normal speed. The tansfer company I used said that the
unfocused film is from the film cuping or curling maybe from shrinkage.
They said that the slowness is due to matching film frames to video
frames. Are these valid explanations? I was suprized at the finished
product because they said my film was in good shape after they first
scanned it.