do I still need Photoshop scratch disc with new SSD drive?

Old July 24th 16, 02:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sam Seagate

Default do I still need Photoshop scratch disc with new SSD drive?

I recently upgraded my laptop hard drive to SSD. Although I have a
separate SSD installed to serve as scratch disc, I wonder if I still
truly need it since the main drive is now also SSD? I'd really like to
use it for storing things. Thanks.
Old July 24th 16, 02:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-07-24 13:24:22 +0000, Sam Seagate said:

I recently upgraded my laptop hard drive to SSD. Although I have a
separate SSD installed to serve as scratch disc, I wonder if I still
truly need it since the main drive is now also SSD? I'd really like to
use it for storing things. Thanks.

Details, we need details.
What are the respective sizes of the two SSDs?

Do you use the older SSD for anything other than as a PS scratch disc?

As a general answer I don't see that there would be any major issue
returning scratch disc duty to the main drive.

Savageduck

Old July 24th 16, 03:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Sam Seagate
wrote:

I recently upgraded my laptop hard drive to SSD. Although I have a
separate SSD installed to serve as scratch disc, I wonder if I still
truly need it since the main drive is now also SSD? I'd really like to
use it for storing things. Thanks.

you installed a separate ssd in the laptop that *wasn't* the main drive
and solely for photoshop?? that's a complete waste of an ssd (and also
very bizarre).

now that you've upgraded the main drive to ssd, use it for photoshop
scratch. in fact, you ought to replace the second ssd with a large
capacity hard drive for storage, which may even be on a slower sata bus
and wasn't actually helping much (if at all) anyway.

how much memory is in the laptop? because maxing that out is far more
important.
Old July 24th 16, 03:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sam Seagate

On 07/24/2016 10:36 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , Sam Seagate
wrote:

I recently upgraded my laptop hard drive to SSD. Although I have a
separate SSD installed to serve as scratch disc, I wonder if I still
truly need it since the main drive is now also SSD? I'd really like to
use it for storing things. Thanks.

you installed a separate ssd in the laptop that *wasn't* the main drive
and solely for photoshop?? that's a complete waste of an ssd (and also
very bizarre).

Correct, but why "bizarre"? I asked about it because I see mixed
opinions googling it; some people still use scratch after SSD upgrade,
some don't which is why I turned here.

now that you've upgraded the main drive to ssd, use it for photoshop
scratch. in fact, you ought to replace the second ssd with a large
capacity hard drive for storage, which may even be on a slower sata bus
and wasn't actually helping much (if at all) anyway.

how much memory is in the laptop? because maxing that out is far more
important.

8 GB

Old July 24th 16, 03:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sam Seagate

On 2016-07-24 13:24:22 +0000, Sam Seagate said:

I recently upgraded my laptop hard drive to SSD. Although I have a
separate SSD installed to serve as scratch disc, I wonder if I still
truly need it since the main drive is now also SSD? I'd really like
to use it for storing things. Thanks.

Details, we need details.
What are the respective sizes of the two SSDs?

500 GB MAIN; 150 GB "scratch"

Do you use the older SSD for anything other than as a PS scratch disc?

I don't currently use the extra SSD for anything other than scratch.

As a general answer I don't see that there would be any major issue
returning scratch disc duty to the main drive.

Ok, will give it a try.

Old July 24th 16, 03:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Sam Seagate
wrote:

I recently upgraded my laptop hard drive to SSD. Although I have a
separate SSD installed to serve as scratch disc, I wonder if I still
truly need it since the main drive is now also SSD? I'd really like to
use it for storing things. Thanks.

you installed a separate ssd in the laptop that *wasn't* the main drive
and solely for photoshop?? that's a complete waste of an ssd (and also
very bizarre).

Correct, but why "bizarre"? I asked about it because I see mixed
opinions googling it; some people still use scratch after SSD upgrade,
some don't which is why I turned here.

because if you're going to go through the effort to install an ssd in a
laptop, it makes a helluva lot more sense to upgrade the main drive and
speed up everything rather than a second drive used for only one app,
which won't benefit much anyway for reasons i gave below.

now that you've upgraded the main drive to ssd, use it for photoshop
scratch. in fact, you ought to replace the second ssd with a large
capacity hard drive for storage, which may even be on a slower sata bus
and wasn't actually helping much (if at all) anyway.

how much memory is in the laptop? because maxing that out is far more
important.

8 GB

if possible, add more.
Old July 24th 16, 03:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Sam Seagate
wrote:

What are the respective sizes of the two SSDs?

500 GB MAIN; 150 GB "scratch"

bigger ssds are generally faster.