How do i develop a photo!?!?!? HELP!!!!!

Old August 24th 06, 04:48 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
max

Default How do i develop a photo!?!?!? HELP!!!!!

hi, i made a pinhole camera for my school project, but i have no clu
how to develop the paper. None of the librarys around here have a book
on developing, and i cant ask my teacher. the paper came with
directions, but i read them over and over and do not understand at all.
i am COMPLETLY new to photograpghy. the paper i am using is called
ILFORD MGIV MULTIGRADE IV RC DELUXE. Pleeeeezzzzz coment back, i need
to know before school starts!?

Old August 24th 06, 05:11 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

max spake thus:

hi, i made a pinhole camera for my school project, but i have no clu
how to develop the paper. None of the librarys around here have a book
on developing, and i cant ask my teacher. the paper came with
directions, but i read them over and over and do not understand at all.
i am COMPLETLY new to photograpghy. the paper i am using is called
ILFORD MGIV MULTIGRADE IV RC DELUXE. Pleeeeezzzzz coment back, i need
to know before school starts!?

Where are you? I find it hard to believe that no library (I'm assuming
you have access to more than one from what you wrote) has *anything* on
basic photography. By the way, that's what you want: a book on basic
(black & white) photography. Don't try to look up "developing" in the
library's card catalog.

--
In order to embark on a new course, the only one that will
solve the problem: negotiations and peace with the Palestinians,

Because it's only with enemies that one makes peace.

- Uri Avnery, Israeli writer and peace activist with Gush Shalom.
(http://counterpunch.org/avnery08032006.html)
Old August 24th 06, 05:38 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
max

i found photo development, but it was not in a libraray in my town and
they told me i would have to pay 20 dollars extra a month if i wanted
to make an account. does anyone know of a website that will cover just
as much as a book but for free?
thanx

Old August 24th 06, 07:07 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Robert

"max" wrote in message
ups.com...
i found photo development, but it was not in a libraray in my town and
they told me i would have to pay 20 dollars extra a month if i wanted
to make an account. does anyone know of a website that will cover just
as much as a book but for free?
thanx

Try this web site.

http://www3.telus.net/drkrm/

Robert

Old August 24th 06, 02:28 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Nicholas O. Lindan

"max" wrote

pinhole paper negatives... photo development
... not in a libraray in my town
... does anyone know of a website

the paper i (sic) am using is called
ILFORD MGIV MULTIGRADE IV RC DELUXE

Might try Ilford:
http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/...1111431518.pdf
You will need to do only some of the steps ...

Pinhole site:
http://users.rcn.com/stewoody/index.htm

Your tax dollars at work:
http://idea.uwosh.edu/nick/Pinholephoto.pdf

For pinhole negatives you need:

o A room you can make completely dark, one with running
water is best
o Photographic paper
o Developer chemical
o Fixer chemical
o Dishes / trays - 2 or 3 large low baking dishes work fine
o Red lamp - a red Christmas tree lamp placed so your
workspace is as dim as you can tolerate and still work

That's it.

o Mix developer and fixer according to directions, pour
each into a dish, if you have a 3rd dish fill it with water
and place it between the developer and fixer dish
o Make the room completely dark and turn on the red light
o Put the paper in the developer solution for 2 minutes
and rock the dish to keep the chemical swirling over the
paper, if you have a dish of water then put the paper in
the water dish for 30 seconds or so
o Pick up the paper and move it to the fixer for 2 minutes,
keeping the dish rocking
o Rinse the paper under the tap and put into a large sink
or tub filled with water, let it sit for 5 minutes,
swirl it around now and then
o Rinse the print again under the tap
o Blot print dry with paper towel and place face up on
a bath towel to air dry

* * *

Maybe it was my imagination, but I seem to remember lots of sites
with tutorials on making pinhole negatives with normal household
stuff. Either I am looking in the wrong places or they have
disappeared.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Darkroom Automation

Old August 24th 06, 11:02 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
max

thanks guys, The website helped out A BUNCH!
i guess the thing i didnt get on my directions was the water to
chemical ratios.
well, thanks again

Old August 25th 06, 03:46 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Stephane Schmuck

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
o Red lamp - a red Christmas tree lamp placed so your
workspace is as dim as you can tolerate and still work

Please don't use a "Christmas" bulb !
Maybe it is cheaper as a "real" red bulb for darkroom work, but the risk
to get foggy pictures is too high :-(

If you don't have the need to work in red light, you can buy a cheap
film drum and a darkroom bag.

Put the paper in the drum face inside without any film holder ( in the
bag ) and now you can develop your picture with daylight, simply roll
the drum on a table. You can use the same amount of chemicals as
indicated for films.

Stéphane.

--
"Living in the earth is expensive but it does
include a free trip around the Sun every year!"
Old August 25th 06, 08:55 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Stephane Schmuck" wrote

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
o Red lamp - a red Christmas tree lamp placed so your
workspace is as dim as you can tolerate and still work

Please don't use a "Christmas" bulb !
Maybe it is cheaper as a "real" red bulb for darkroom work, but the risk
to get foggy pictures is too high

I think a Chistmas bulb is about right:
The OP is making _one_ [or some number approximate to] paper
negative(s) from a pin-hole camera school project.

If one is careful a very, very dimly lit room can be
used with no safelight at all....

Life without risk is death.