Canon 5D flash sync question.

Old July 9th 08, 11:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Eric Miller

Default Canon 5D flash sync question.

By the way, "Hummingbird" does not seem like a great name for a hot
sauce. Reddy-woodpecker would do it.

Notice the red throat? Anyway, most people don't know or care what
"colibrí" means. I have given some thought to using a picture of a Red-
tailed Hawk, but I think that is already taken.

As to the less than clear name, I plead "tabasco" as my defense.

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com
Old July 10th 08, 12:08 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
jimkramer

"Eric Miller" wrote in message

By the way, "Hummingbird" does not seem like a great name for a hot
sauce. Reddy-woodpecker would do it.

Notice the red throat? Anyway, most people don't know or care what
"colibrí" means. I have given some thought to using a picture of a Red-
tailed Hawk, but I think that is already taken.

As to the less than clear name, I plead "tabasco" as my defense.

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com

The name doesn't need to be clear, just memorable... success!
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/colibr%C3%AD

:-)

-Jim

Old July 10th 08, 02:55 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Eric Miller

It's the trigger time from front-curtain open to the time the flash
actually firing.

I think the caption you put: "cheap wireless sync" is the problem.
Please DO name the brand.

If I knew the brand name, I'd tell ya. The only english on the box is:

Yinhe Technology Development Corp.

Maybe that is the brand, but I doubt it due to all the much more
prominent characters from some other language.

The 'bees are not the problem.

Get PocketWizards. I've used them at 1/300 with no problem at all and I
would bet they would work well at 1/500 as well.

Maybe, but I have added a shot taken today with a pc-sync cord. Same link:

http://www.dyesscreek.com/hidden_pages/sync.html

Similar, but not quite as pronounced result. BTW, what camera and
strobes were you using your pocketwizzards with a 1/300?

You can also get a pocketwizard compatible module for Sekonic meters (my
meter has the capability, but I haven't bought the module.

I used to have a Gossen Ultra Pro meter but sold it after I switched to
digital.

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com
Old July 10th 08, 03:26 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Eric Miller

Bruce wrote:
"jimkramer" wrote:

On a side note make sure you look at the website on someone else's computer
or force the font to be one that supports the last 2 characters in your
sauce's name. I just get little squares.

I get little squares in Internet Explorer, but a white question mark
within a black diamond in Mozilla Firefox.

Something definitely isn't right.

I like the sound of the sauce, though!

You'd probably like the flavor much better!

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com
Old July 12th 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Annika1980 wrote:
On Jul 9, 4:06 pm, Alan Browne
wrote:
By the way, "Hummingbird" does not seem like a great name for a hot
sauce. Reddy-woodpecker would do it.

Ready Woodpecker is the name of Rita's dildo.

She needs one. No sane human would go where that dildo goes...

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old July 12th 08, 09:39 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Eric Miller wrote:

It's the trigger time from front-curtain open to the time the flash
actually firing.

I think the caption you put: "cheap wireless sync" is the problem.
Please DO name the brand.

If I knew the brand name, I'd tell ya. The only english on the box is:

Yinhe Technology Development Corp.

Maybe that is the brand, but I doubt it due to all the much more
prominent characters from some other language.

The 'bees are not the problem.

Get PocketWizards. I've used them at 1/300 with no problem at all and
I would bet they would work well at 1/500 as well.

Maybe, but I have added a shot taken today with a pc-sync cord. Same link:

http://www.dyesscreek.com/hidden_pages/sync.html

Strange. The 5D should not have this problem. It's as if there was
some parasitic capacitance somewhere that is delaying the strobe firing.
Althouh I'm cofident in your bees, maybe you better call them up.

Similar, but not quite as pronounced result. BTW, what camera and
strobes were you using your pocketwizzards with a 1/300?

Maxxum 9 film camera (syncs to 1/300).

Strobes are a French low end brand called Multiblitz that I bought from
a pro who was upgrading to a pak system. I've triggered them with sync
cord, slave and PocketWizards to 1/300 with no problem. (For that
matter to 1/320 on the Maxxum 9 w/o visible effect. At 1/350 they start
to shadow on one edge. [room temp]).

I do hope the new Sony 24.5 Mpix camera will sport a 1/300 sync as well
(or at least 1/250).

I've always wanted to get three bees and many accessories (A couple
800's and a 400 or 1 ea of 1600, 800 and 400). But always other
priorites. (I did a total of three studio projects in 2007 and 0 in
2008... so hard to justify. My SO has also turned my studio into
something called a "living room").

You can also get a pocketwizard compatible module for Sekonic meters
(my meter has the capability, but I haven't bought the module.

I used to have a Gossen Ultra Pro meter but sold it after I switched to
digital.

tsk, tsk!

Cheers,
Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old July 12th 08, 09:41 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

That Rich wrote:

I reamain,

lover of French sauces,

I remain a lover of Saucy French women.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old July 15th 08, 06:23 PM
Keith Tapscott. Keith Tapscott. is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Miller View Post
Since this subject is related to flash sync, I thought I'd ask it here.
I have been taking some product shots for a new website I will be
launching in a few weeks (it's actually up and running, but not much is
there). While taking my product shots, I noticed some shading of what
should have been an even background (different colored backdrops). I
decided to lower the shutter speed, because it looked like a sync problem.

Here are two photos that show the effect:

http://www.dyesscreek.com/hidden_pages/sync.html

On the left is a 1/200 exposure. On the right, 1/160. After some brief
research, I found that the 5D manual states that the sync for studio
strobes may be as low as 1/125 so I was relieved that it didn't
indicated any problem. My question is why the difference between the
studio strobes and a hotshoe flash? The obvious answer would seem to be
the flash duration, but on second thought, that can't be it, can it? I
am using Alien Bees B800s which supposedly have a flash duration that is
1/3200 or so and even at half that, I didn't think that slow enough to
cause a sync problem. At full power many hot shoe flashes have a flash
duration in excess of 1/1000. What gives?

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com
Try rec.photo.digital
Old August 9th 08, 08:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Helen wrote:
On Jul 12, 4:41 pm, Alan Browne
wrote:
That Rich wrote:

I reamain,
lover of French sauces,

I remain a lover of Saucy French women.

My mother was a saucy French Canadien woman.

With all due respect, not all sauces are better with age...
Old August 9th 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

That Rich wrote:

Don't know of any sauce that improves with age.
Today, cooking up a jalepeno-orange glaze for cumin encrusted pork
tenderloin. Now there's a heady sauce.

Pork tenderloin? Try an overnight in fridge marinade of olive oil,
lemon juice, red wine vinegar, cumin and lots of thick garlic slices.

Barbecue over charcoal about 4 minutes per side then cook each side
again until 160F at core. Brown the left over garlic slices on the BBQ
to snack on as you cook (hard to do w/o losing them to the coals)...

Serve with asparagus or greek salad and rice with Tzatziki ....

This is not subtle but is a great summer BBQ.

Hmmm.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.