prosumer future

Old March 4th 05, 08:29 PM
Chris Brown

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article MRRVd.43916$xt.29880@fed1read07, Skip M says...

And a sincere one, too. If the Sony 828 and Nikon 8800 are "prosumer"
cameras, then what is the Canon 20D?

It's a DLSR. Cameras as the Sony 828, Olympus 8080, Canon G2 are all
prosumers. There has always been a consensus about this.

No there hasn't. If you remember back to the introduction of the EOS D30, it
was widely hailed as the "first prosumer digital camera".

Old March 5th 05, 02:13 AM
Skip M

--

Alfred Molon

Alfred, often you constitute a consensus of one. Of course, the 20D is a
DSLR, that wasn't in question. Isn't there a distinction between a
"prosumer" fixed lens camera and a "prosumer" DSLR? Because the 20D isn't a
full on pro camera, like the 1D mkII, nor is it a consumer grade camera,
like the RebelD/300D.
--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old March 5th 05, 02:16 AM
Skip M

wrote in message
oups.com...
The cameras you talk about are (at best) mid-range consumer cameras.
Prosumer does not start until you get past the 300D, D70, *1Ds, and E1
cameras;

I'm guessing that you mean "*istD" not *1Ds...
And the Oly E-1 is a solid prosumer camera.

Old March 5th 05, 04:35 AM
Barry Bean

"Skip M" wrote in news:TD8Wd.44056$xt.13029
@fed1read07:

wrote in message
oups.com...
The cameras you talk about are (at best) mid-range consumer cameras.
Prosumer does not start until you get past the 300D, D70, *1Ds, and E1
cameras;

I'm guessing that you mean "*istD" not *1Ds...
And the Oly E-1 is a solid prosumer camera.

"Prosumer" is a meaningless category. Pros use what works, whether that's a
$20K Canon or a beat up OM-1. Consumers use whatever they want. A
"prosumer" is presumably a serious photographer, or at least wants very
fine equipment. His needs are not mutually exclusive from either
professionals or consumers, but there is no common thread between various
prosumers in the same way that there is between professional s who simply
demand reliable high performance.

Old March 5th 05, 04:53 AM
Dave Martindale

"bmoag" writes:
If software could be used, in camera or in computer, to correct or create
lens aberrations effects, why would one need or want an SLR with its larger
and heavier form factor? The optical and mechanical properties of any
individual lens will be far less important than they are now.

I think you vastly overrate software correction of aberrations.

There is one aberration, geometric distortion, that is well-suited to
correction in this manner. If a lens has only geometric distortion, all
the light from a point in the subject converges to a single point in the
image, so the image is *sharp*, but the point isn't in quite the right
place. The process of fixing the image is simply one of taking a sharp
image and slightly "warping" it to put the pixels in the right spot
geometrically. This isn't too expensive, and can be done with almost no
loss of picture information.

But pretty much all other lens aberrations map a point in the subject to
an *area* in the image. The distribution of the light depends on which
aberration you're talking about, but the effect is loss of sharpness
that you can't generally get back. Some information from the source is
lost forever, no matter how much computer power you're prepared to throw
at the problem.

Dave
Old March 5th 05, 05:28 AM
Skip M

.. .

wrote in message
oups.com...
The cameras you talk about are (at best) mid-range consumer cameras.
Prosumer does not start until you get past the 300D, D70, *1Ds, and E1
cameras;

I'm guessing that you mean "*istD" not *1Ds...
And the Oly E-1 is a solid prosumer camera.

"Prosumer" is a meaningless category. Pros use what works, whether that's
$20K Canon or a beat up OM-1. Consumers use whatever they want. A
"prosumer" is presumably a serious photographer, or at least wants very
fine equipment. His needs are not mutually exclusive from either
professionals or consumers, but there is no common thread between various
prosumers in the same way that there is between professional s who simply
demand reliable high performance.

Do you have a better term to describe a camera that is aimed higher than the
lowest common denominator entry level and the full blown
take-it-to-the-Arctic professional grade camera? I'm not happy with the
term "prosumer," much like I'm not happy with most manufactured terminology,
but there doesn't seem to be a more appropriate one available, or in use.

Old March 5th 05, 08:28 AM
Alfred Molon

In article , Confused
says...

It's a DLSR. Cameras as the Sony 828, Olympus 8080, Canon G2 are all
prosumers. There has always been a consensus about this.

No no no... that's the brainwashing of marketing departments.

Nope. That has been the consensus in this newsgroup for years.

If one is a "prosumer" the other is a "prosucker".

And here you have just managed to insult millions of people.
--

Alfred Molon
Old March 5th 05, 08:44 AM
Steven M. Scharf

"Skip M" wrote in message
Do you have a better term to describe a camera that is aimed higher than

the
lowest common denominator entry level and the full blown
take-it-to-the-Arctic professional grade camera? I'm not happy with the
term "prosumer," much like I'm not happy with most manufactured

terminology,
but there doesn't seem to be a more appropriate one available, or in use.

I don't like "Prosumer" either, but I've not found any better term.

http://www.wordspy.com/words/prosumer.asp

"A consumer who is an amateur in a particular field, but who is
knowledgeable enough to require equipment that has some professional
features ("professional" + "consumer")"

I guess I would say that a "prosumer" camera, has some features similar to
professional models, but the ruggedness and build-quality is not up to
professional standards.

Old March 5th 05, 08:48 AM
Steven M. Scharf

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
In article MRRVd.43916$xt.29880@fed1read07, Skip M says...

And a sincere one, too. If the Sony 828 and Nikon 8800 are "prosumer"
cameras, then what is the Canon 20D?

It's a DLSR. Cameras as the Sony 828, Olympus 8080, Canon G2 are all
prosumers. There has always been a consensus about this.

Huh?

Those cameras are higher-end compact digital cameras. They are not
"Prosumer" by a long shot.

Old March 5th 05, 09:03 AM
Steven M. Scharf

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message

Nope. That has been the consensus in this newsgroup for years.

ROTFLMAO!