Sony DSC-S85 4MP digital camera-my experience/review/fair warning

Old February 26th 04, 11:15 PM
Guitarman

Default Sony DSC-S85 4MP digital camera-my experience/review/fair warning

I've had the DSC-S85 for a couple of years and was disappointed with
it from the beginning. It has the capability of taking great pictures
but only if you're lucky. About 10 percent (on the average) of the
photos taken are grossly out of focus as if the camera does not know
what to focus on. Sometimes it will focus on a small insignificant
item that is next to a person who is the subject. If I take a shot of
a room with no specific subject, it has trouble focusing on anything
in the room. I own a Nikkormat, A Canon SLR, and a Sony Mavica, and
these problems rarely occur with any of them.

I have had it checked at a local Sony authorized service center and
also sent it direct to Sony. Both places said everything checked out
and was within specs. This is very scary. Here's a $500 camera that
Sony says is working fine yet it can't focus more than 90% of the time
(sometimes less) when used for taking pictures in real life. Also, in
real life, there is no time after each shot to check the screen to see
if the subject is in focus--I shouldn't have to do that.

The camera is great in most other respects.

Sony did not offer me any compensation nor did they offer to replace
it or repair it. I'm stuck with the camera, several batteries and a
charger. At some point I'll get a replacement, but it will be from a
real digital camera outfit like Canon or Nikon.

I don't know if other cybershot models have this problem, but it would
be good to test them out sufficiently before buying, which is prudent
for any brand you're considering. Unfortunately, I bought it in a
hurry. I also realize that this model was the first 4MP digital
camera for consumers and is somewhat old.

I have also owned several Sony camcorders which I must say work very
well so this particular problem must be limited to Sony's digital
still cameras or maybe I have a lemon?? I would say that the ability
for the auto focus to focus is pretty important in picture
taking--real basic. When I go to important events, I take not only
the Sony, but also my Canon and try to get photos on both, because I
know that some of the Sony's will be hopelessly blurry.

Would like to hear others' experiences with cybershots.

Scott
Old February 27th 04, 04:46 AM
Seymore

Quite happy after 14 months and 11.4k shots...

(100+ thumbnail warning)
http://www.macmurph.com/photodb/memb...ydate=y#albums

Seymore...
Owner of an S85... and luvin' it!

Old February 27th 04, 11:20 PM
Tom Pfeiffer

I honestly believe you answered you own question. Buy your next camera
from a camera company, not an electronics company. Sony makes great
TV's, CD players, etc. But their lack of any long term experience with
cameras and their continued insistence upon saddling us with
propietary solutions we don't need make me want to stay away.

Personally, I'd recommend Canon, but Nikon, Minolta, Pentax and
Olympus all make great gear, too. And they understand photography and
photographers.

If Son'y built cars, they'd be the sleekest, fastest vehicles around,
built to last and with all the latest gadgetry. Just as long as you
didn't mnd driving on the opposite side of the road, buying special
Sony gas and relearning all the control and handling. ;-)

Tom P.

Old February 29th 04, 02:27 AM
George

(Guitarman) wrote in message . com...
[...]

I couldn't agree more. I've had the camera for over a year
now and it is essentially useless on automatic.
It simply cannot focus properly for any shutter speeds
1/125, and it *always* chooses a shutter speed of 1/125 when
using the auto and flash (1/30)

Everything looks orange when the flash is used inside,
and it usually looks blue outside. I've tried numerous
WB, ISO, etc. settings and have had no luck getting
consistenly good pictures out of it.

It also never seems to choose an iso other than 100 when auto
for the iso is set.

There are lots of people posting about how to get around
these problems - like using the manual shutter setting
no less than 1/125 - but these are still
just workarounds for problems with the camera.

The way I see it, for the $$$ paid for this type of
camera, I shouldn't *have* to set up my shots all the time,
it should produce decent pictures on automatic.