Travel without a camera

Old June 27th 17, 11:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

Default Travel without a camera

On 27/06/2017 09:24, David B. wrote:
[] Perhaps you're right - but I'd miss her after being married for over 50
years! ;-)

Why not use TeamViewer and remotely control your home PC from an iPad?

--
Cheers,
David
Old June 27th 17, 02:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , David Taylor
wrote:

Why not use TeamViewer and remotely control your home PC from an iPad?

because teamviewer and its ilk are not secure and requires software on
both ends. it's much better to go directly, using industry standard
protocols. faster too.
Old June 27th 17, 02:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_3_]

On 27-Jun-17 11:26 AM, David Taylor wrote:
On 27/06/2017 09:24, David B. wrote:
[] Perhaps you're right - but I'd miss her after being married for over 50
years! ;-)

Why not use TeamViewer and remotely control your home PC from an iPad?

Good thought, David but, apart from our fridge freezer, ALL electrical
equipment is switched off when we are away from home.

--
Sometimes man stumbles over the truth. (W.Churchill)
Old June 27th 17, 02:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_3_]

On 27-Jun-17 1:12 PM, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 27 June 2017 11:26:17 UTC+1, David Taylor wrote:
On 27/06/2017 09:24, David B. wrote:
[] Perhaps you're right - but I'd miss her after being married for over 50
years! ;-)

Why not use TeamViewer and remotely control your home PC from an iPad?

Why not leave the misses at home and skype her on an ipad or imac of course ;-)

Why? 'Cause I *need* her to work the locks for me!!!

I'd have thought a techie chap like you would have used FaceTime rather
than Skype!

It's easier to mute an ipad too .

Haha! :-) How right you are!

--
Sometimes man stumbles over the truth. (W.Churchill)
Old June 27th 17, 02:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_3_]

On 27-Jun-17 2:05 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , David Taylor
wrote:

Why not use TeamViewer and remotely control your home PC from an iPad?

because teamviewer and its ilk are not secure and requires software on
both ends.

Not secure? How so?

it's much better to go directly, using industry standard
protocols. faster too.

Please will you explain? WHAT "industry standard protocols"?

--
Sometimes man stumbles over the truth. (W.Churchill)

Old June 27th 17, 03:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , David B.
wrote:

Why not use TeamViewer and remotely control your home PC from an iPad?

because teamviewer and its ilk are not secure and requires software on
both ends.

Not secure? How so?

it requires additional software, which maintains a connection to their
servers at all times and sends who knows what information. remote
connections go through their servers, and while they claim that the
contents are encrypted, they know where you connect to.

it's much better to go directly, using industry standard
protocols. faster too.

Please will you explain? WHAT "industry standard protocols"?

vnc, which is already built in, so there's no need to install any
additional software. just enable it. done.

install a vnc app on the other device and you're good to go. vnc is a
standard protocol so there are *lots* of choices on all platforms, some
better than others.

it's a direct point to point connection, with nobody in the middle,
which is more secure and faster too.
Old June 27th 17, 05:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_3_]

On 27-Jun-17 3:04 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , David B.
wrote:

Why not use TeamViewer and remotely control your home PC from an iPad?

because teamviewer and its ilk are not secure and requires software on
both ends.

Not secure? How so?

it requires additional software, which maintains a connection to their
servers at all times and sends who knows what information. remote
connections go through their servers, and while they claim that the
contents are encrypted, they know where you connect to.

I'm not sure that concerns me. I have no secrets any more! ;-)

it's much better to go directly, using industry standard
protocols. faster too.

Please will you explain? WHAT "industry standard protocols"?

vnc, which is already built in, so there's no need to install any
additional software. just enable it. done.

install a vnc app on the other device and you're good to go. vnc is a
standard protocol so there are *lots* of choices on all platforms, some
better than others.

it's a direct point to point connection, with nobody in the middle,
which is more secure and faster too.

Thank you. :-)

I've read he
https://manage.realvnc.com/pricing?_...848.1498580023

Perhaps I'll try that once I'm back home again, especially as there is
no charge for Home Users!

--
Sometimes man stumbles over the truth. (W.Churchill)
Old June 27th 17, 05:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

https://manage.realvnc.com/pricing?_...8580023-343211
848.1498580023

Perhaps I'll try that once I'm back home again, especially as there is
no charge for Home Users!

what part of already built in, no need to install additional software
is not clear?

go to system preferences, and in the sharing panel, enable screen
sharing. done. that's *it*.

since vnc is built into mac os, you can connect to another without
installing anything.

iphones/ipads are not a desktop os, so they don't have vnc built in.
you'll need to get a vnc app and there are *many*. remoter pro or
screens are two of the best. there are some free options, but they're
mostly garbage, which is why they're free.

microsoft, in its effort to keep everything proprietary, created its
own remote desktop protocol rather than use the industry standard vnc,
so you will need to either install vnc or use their rdp client on a
phone/tablet.
Old June 27th 17, 05:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_3_]

On 27-Jun-17 5:40 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , David B.
wrote:

[...]

I HAVE noticed that, but have never used the facility. I'll try it out
when I'm home again.

since vnc is built into mac os, you can connect to another without
installing anything.

iphones/ipads are not a desktop os, so they don't have vnc built in.
you'll need to get a vnc app and there are *many*. remoter pro or
screens are two of the best. there are some free options, but they're
mostly garbage, which is why they're free.

microsoft, in its effort to keep everything proprietary, created its
own remote desktop protocol rather than use the industry standard vnc,
so you will need to either install vnc or use their rdp client on a
phone/tablet.

Thank you for helping me better understand matters, 'nospam'.

You are a 'mine of information', that's for sure! :-)

David B.