Sync voltage on Smith Victor

Old April 25th 08, 09:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
blah

Default Sync voltage on Smith Victor

Does anyone know how to test sync voltage on Monolights? I have a set of
Smith Victor 110i monolights, and I can't find the voltage anywhere. Thanks
blah

Old April 25th 08, 10:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Lawrence_Glickman

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 16:56:26 -0400, "blah" wrote:

Does anyone know how to test sync voltage on Monolights? I have a set of
Smith Victor 110i monolights, and I can't find the voltage anywhere. Thanks
blah

4.3 volts

Old April 26th 08, 01:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
blah

"Lawrence_Glickman" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 16:56:26 -0400, "blah" wrote:

Does anyone know how to test sync voltage on Monolights? I have a set of
Smith Victor 110i monolights, and I can't find the voltage anywhere.
Thanks
blah

4.3 volts

Are you sure? How did you find out?

Old April 26th 08, 03:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Lawrence_Glickman

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 20:40:49 -0400, "blah" wrote:

"Lawrence_Glickman" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 16:56:26 -0400, "blah" wrote:

Does anyone know how to test sync voltage on Monolights? I have a set of
Smith Victor 110i monolights, and I can't find the voltage anywhere.
Thanks
blah

4.3 volts

Are you sure? How did you find out?

I plugged into google search engine. Counted the number of hits I got
that confirmed the synch voltage.

They all of them said...4.3 volts. for your unit in particular.

If I didn't know the answer, or thought the answer was wrong, do you
think I would post it and put your expensive equipment at risk?

Lg

Old April 26th 08, 03:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
blah

"Lawrence_Glickman" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 20:40:49 -0400, "blah" wrote:

"Lawrence_Glickman" wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 16:56:26 -0400, "blah" wrote:

Does anyone know how to test sync voltage on Monolights? I have a set
of
Smith Victor 110i monolights, and I can't find the voltage anywhere.
Thanks
blah

4.3 volts

Are you sure? How did you find out?

I plugged into google search engine. Counted the number of hits I got
that confirmed the synch voltage.

They all of them said...4.3 volts. for your unit in particular.

If I didn't know the answer, or thought the answer was wrong, do you
think I would post it and put your expensive equipment at risk?

Lg

Not an accusation, I'm not seeing anything on Google for voltage on a Smith
Victor 110i. thanks

Old April 26th 08, 04:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Lawrence_Glickman

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 22:57:06 -0400, "blah" wrote:

[...]

Find a STORAGE oscilloscope, preferably non-sampling, say 50 to 100
Megahertz, with 20megohm probes. Attach one probe to middle of
synchronizer plug on STROBE, and the other probe on the outside of the
male plug, which is not going to fire the unit, because the impedence
is too high and to the strobe componenets, it looks like an open
circuit.

Set the sweep rate at whatever, but the vertical at 3 volts/division.

Now, take a piece of wire and touch the center conductor of the plug
to the outer plug wall. FLASH

And...you have a *trace* on the scope showing you what the firing sync
voltage of your unit is. A DVM is not good enough for this, because
it is a sampling device, not a *real time* device. And an analog
meter wouldn't know what to do with such a short pulse.

Now I've found the values for Smith Victor flash heads to vary between
4.3 volts, 4.4 volts, and 5 volts. Nothing larger, nothing smaller.
This is definitely well within the safety limits of any camera with a
sync socket.

HTH

Lg

Old April 26th 08, 05:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Lawrence_Glickman

[...]

Nevermind all that ****.
What I realized just now is the above is not correct.

You just measure the voltage differential when the flash is ready to
fire, between the male plug center conductor and the outer jacket,
with ANY kind of **** voltmeter.

Whatever that voltage is, is the sync voltage.

Thank You.

Lg

Old April 26th 08, 12:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Lawrence_Glickman

[...]

HERE is a helpful, illustrated URL that will explain how easy this is
to do:

http://www.adriantung.com/articles/t...voltage01.html

Okay.

Lg

Old April 26th 08, 01:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
blah

"Lawrence_Glickman" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 22:57:06 -0400, "blah" wrote:

"Lawrence_Glickman" wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 20:40:49 -0400, "blah" wrote:

"Lawrence_Glickman" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Old April 27th 08, 05:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
crownfield

In article , says...
-Smith Victor 110i monolights
-

2 out of the first 5 listings had sync voltage.
did you search for sync voltage?

--
Bob Crownfield