Good Nikon 70-300mm (or thereabouts) zoom

Old January 24th 08, 12:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
BuzzyBee

Default Good Nikon 70-300mm (or thereabouts) zoom

Hi,

I was hoping to get some advice on purchasing a new zoom for my Nikon
D70. I've used my Nikkor 75-300mm (http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/
75300.htm) lens for the past 15 years and have had great service from
it. However I'm noticing that it really doesn't give me the quality
of image that I need from the digital camera. I'm not sure if it's
just the fact it's now older and very well used or it's just that it's
not as effective with digital as it was with my Nikon 801S.

There are several likely replacements on the market, some which seem
incredibly cheap, and I was wondering if anyone has taken the step of
replacing their old Nikkor zoom with a newer digital version. If so,
which lens would you recommend. The three contenders I am looking at
in the Nikon range a

http://www.nikon.com.au/productitem....=92-014ecae279
http://www.nikon.com.au/productitem....=89-84ea66d340
http://www.nikon.com.au/productitem....903-8c5b1906f6

Any help would be gratefully received.

Jenny
Old January 24th 08, 12:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
BuzzyBee

On Jan 24, 11:54 am, BuzzyBee wrote:
[...]

Sorry the link hasn't worked correctly for the first one, it should
be:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/75300.htm
Old January 24th 08, 01:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article
,
BuzzyBee wrote:

There are several likely replacements on the market, some which seem
incredibly cheap, and I was wondering if anyone has taken the step of
replacing their old Nikkor zoom with a newer digital version. If so,
which lens would you recommend. The three contenders I am looking at
in the Nikon range a

http://www.nikon.com.au/productitem....=92-014ecae279

expensive, slow, heavy, and rumoured to be replaced soon.

http://www.nikon.com.au/productitem....=89-84ea66d340

that one is discontinued.

http://www.nikon.com.au/productitem....903-8c5b1906f6

the 70-300mm vr is the best bet. it's an excellent lens at a very fair
price, and the stabilization is well worth it.
Old January 24th 08, 01:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington[_2_]

BuzzyBee wrote:
[...]

Probably very nice, but large, heavy and expensive.

http://www.nikon.com.au/productitem....=89-84ea66d340
http://www.nikon.com.au/productitem....903-8c5b1906f6

That last is the one you most likely want, for its VR and reasonable cost.

Neil

Old January 24th 08, 04:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
BuzzyBee

[...]

Thank you to everyone for your advice. I'm going to check them out in
the shop tonight. Hopefully it works better than the old 75-300mm
lens.
Old January 24th 08, 12:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Polson

BuzzyBee wrote:

[...]

Unless there is a fault in your 75-300mm, it is probably still better
than all the alternatives.

The 70-300mm ED comes close to the 75-300mm but doesn't equal it,
especially between 200mm and 300mm.

The 70-300mm G IF-ED is optically similar to the 75-300mm ED but it
does offer better performance on digital SLRs and fast AF-S focusing.

The 80-400mm VR is not a sharp performer and has very slow AF.

The 80-400mm VR is due to be replaced this year with a much-needed new
version which will have better optical performance and fast AF-S
focusing,

If you must change now, I would go for the AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor
70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED. If you can wait a few months I would
suggest the updated version of the AF VR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED.

Another alternative is to look for a used 70-200mm f/2.8 AF-S VR.

But it might be cheaper to get your existing lens looked at, as it is
known to be a pretty good performer, especially in the 200-300mm range
where so many consumer 70-300mm lenses perform poorly.

Old January 24th 08, 02:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ray Paseur[_3_]

the 70-300mm vr is the best bet. it's an excellent lens at a very fair
price, and the stabilization is well worth it.

I second that. Don't buy a long lens without the stabilization feature.
These would be my choices (USA models):

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php...productNr=2161
http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php...productNr=1996

Happy shooting!
Old January 24th 08, 04:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Frank Arthur

"BuzzyBee" wrote in message
[...]

If you are using the old 75-300mm Nikkor then you will find that the
newer 70-300mm VR Nikkor is unbelievably faster and better when used
on your D70 and will probably never go back to the early model lenses.