Digital camera with GPS capability

Old October 23rd 07, 10:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Ron Hunter

Default Digital camera with GPS capability

Mr. Strat wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

During my recent trip in the wilderness, our corporate sponsor
organization brought a digital camera which is equipped with GPS
insert. Each photos will have the coordinates of the location where
it was taken, and is shown at the bottom of each picture. The camera
is a Caplio Ricoh Pro G3. I think the camera is a few years old, as I
recall that it was also available during my previous trips. However, I
could not find this particular camera model in the web. They have
shown the G3, but I wonder about the difference between them (Pro G#
vs. G3). I also recall that the new Ricoh 500SE is GPS ready. I also
heard about the new Pentax Optio WPi, which can also be used to record
GPS.
What about other brand name cameras, such as Nikon and Canon? Do they
all have the capabilities to receive coordinate data from a GPS
transmitter nearby (via blue tooth or infra red), or in the case of
Caplio Pro G3, it was some kind of GPS card receiver inserted directly
in the special chamber in the camera. Anyone knows whether other
professional digital cameras have this capability?

Just what digital cameras need - another useless feature.

Useless? To YOU maybe. I am sure that if you use your camera in a
studio, or your home, this isn't a feature you would want to pay for.
However, for MY purposes, it would be a very valuable feature.
You aren't the only person in the world you know.
Old October 23rd 07, 10:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Ron Hunter

Willy Eckerslyke wrote:
Mr. Strat wrote:

Just what digital cameras need - another useless feature.

That's a matter of opinion. Having spent quite a few days working out
the grid references for upwards of 15,000 aerial photos, I could really
use a GPS system that worked well. Trouble is, none that I've seen can
accurately locate the subject area as opposed to the camera's position
which may be half a mile away.
http://www.pixaerial.com

Half a mile! You REALLY need a better GPS. Mine is usually accurate to
a few feet!
If I go on a trip, and return home, it won't go to 00 until I actually
put the car under the carport. Leaving it in the driveway (20 feet)
won't do.
Old October 23rd 07, 11:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
ASAAR

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 04:56:26 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:

That's a matter of opinion. Having spent quite a few days working out
the grid references for upwards of 15,000 aerial photos, I could really
use a GPS system that worked well. Trouble is, none that I've seen can
accurately locate the subject area as opposed to the camera's position
which may be half a mile away.
http://www.pixaerial.com

Half a mile! You REALLY need a better GPS. Mine is usually accurate to
a few feet!
If I go on a trip, and return home, it won't go to 00 until I actually
put the car under the carport. Leaving it in the driveway (20 feet)
won't do.

whoosh!
If you're in your carport and take a picture of an object half a
mile away (with a GPS enabled camera), does the "00" refer to the
position of the camera or the position of the object? Now if you're
using a camera that records the direction that the camera was
pointing, and that can also record the subject's distance in the
EXIF data, I suppose that the subject/object location can be
determined with a trig. calculator. Not with a great deal of
accuracy, but to a better resolution than half a mile.

Old October 23rd 07, 01:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Pat

On Oct 23, 4:17 am, Willy Eckerslyke
wrote:
Mr. Strat wrote:
Just what digital cameras need - another useless feature.

That's a matter of opinion. Having spent quite a few days working out
the grid references for upwards of 15,000 aerial photos, I could really
use a GPS system that worked well. Trouble is, none that I've seen can
accurately locate the subject area as opposed to the camera's position
which may be half a mile away.http://www.pixaerial.com

Some of the real estate cameras have the capability to show the
direction the camera is pointed and the angle. It won't directly show
the location of the object, but with a GIS system and a little
math ....

Old October 23rd 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Michael J Davis

John Blessing observed
"The Spider Formally Seated Next To Little Miss Muffet"
wrote in message ...
You don't want GPS builtin. Why? Because it is going to be mediocre at
best. It isn't an overly useful function if it takes 3 or 4 minutes for it
to find the salellites, It also isn't very useful if it keeps loosing
those satellites. You want something that is going to work and work well
you want to invest in a good GPS system one that connects fast and can
remain connected even under trees, unvalleies, in cities with buildings
all around, etc. Just make sure that it can export the waypoint data and
then you take that with one of the many free or for cost programs that
will take that data compare the information to your photos and then embedd
the data in to the images.

e.g. http://code.google.com/p/gpicsync/

Of course, I doubt any add-on GPS/software can tell what you are focussing
on in relation to the camera position.

Yes! Quick - patent it!!

GPS position + direction of camera orientation + focussing distance, all
in EXIF. How did we manage without?

Mike

Michael J Davis

Some newsgroup contributors appear to have confused
the meaning of "discussion" with "digression".

Old October 23rd 07, 05:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Mr. Strat

In article , Ron Hunter
wrote:

Just what digital cameras need - another useless feature.

Useless? To YOU maybe. I am sure that if you use your camera in a
studio, or your home, this isn't a feature you would want to pay for.
However, for MY purposes, it would be a very valuable feature.
You aren't the only person in the world you know.

I do a wide variety of photography. But having coordinates of where I
created an image is about as useful as shutter speed/f-stop
information.
Old October 23rd 07, 08:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
nospam

In article , Ron Hunter
wrote:

Willy Eckerslyke wrote:
Mr. Strat wrote:

Just what digital cameras need - another useless feature.

That's a matter of opinion. Having spent quite a few days working out
the grid references for upwards of 15,000 aerial photos, I could really
use a GPS system that worked well. Trouble is, none that I've seen can
accurately locate the subject area as opposed to the camera's position
which may be half a mile away.
http://www.pixaerial.com

Half a mile! You REALLY need a better GPS. Mine is usually accurate to
a few feet!

did you miss the part where he said 'aerial photos' ? unless the
camera is aimed straight down, the position of the camera (in the
plane) is only a very rough guide as to what is in the actual picture.
Old October 23rd 07, 09:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc

--
John Blessing

businesses
for your meeting/class over the web.
http://www.lbetoolbox.com - Remove Duplicates from MS Outlook,
find/replace, send newsletters

I knowing what the picture is matters when it comes to being able to show
where you took the picture on a map because?

The Spider

--
Ignorance really is bliss, just look how happy President Bush is.

Old October 23rd 07, 09:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc

wrote in message ...
[...]

More important what the **** do you do with the other data beyond the
latitude and longitude? Nothing is what.

The Spider

--
Ignorance really is bliss, just look how happy President Bush is.