3 dead pixels on Nikon D100. Normal?

Old June 24th 04, 01:28 AM
Some Dude

Default 3 dead pixels on Nikon D100. Normal?

I recently realised that after shooting some low-light photog. with
this d100 that I have 3 dead pixels, all in the same place, in all the
photos.

Is this within acceptable limits for Nikon and the D100? I've had a
whole lotta digital cameras ever since '96 and have never had more
than one max. I have even had the orig D1 and it had zero dead
pixels.

All help appreciated.

Flames, bull**** /dev/null

Cheers,
-sd
http://www.zoom.sh
Old June 24th 04, 05:23 AM
Bob

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 00:28:41 GMT, Some Dude wrote:

I recently realised that after shooting some low-light photog. with
this d100 that I have 3 dead pixels, all in the same place, in all the
photos.

Is this within acceptable limits for Nikon and the D100? I've had a
whole lotta digital cameras ever since '96 and have never had more
than one max. I have even had the orig D1 and it had zero dead
pixels.

All help appreciated.

Flames, bull**** /dev/null

Cheers,
-sd
http://www.zoom.sh

Do you mean little spots, like fly ****e or something?

It's probably dirt on the sensor... take it in to be cleaned.

I have a few now myself, so I bought an air spray to blow the dust out of the
compartment when I change lenses. I may even try to blow the sensor with the
mirror lock-up function, but I'm going to ask Nikon first...

It's never a problem in film cams since any dust is carried away with the first
picture, but you're kind of stuck with the 1 sensor!

Old June 24th 04, 12:08 PM
Some Dude

No dead pixels. Dead blue, green, or red pixels.

I do know what you're referring to. Its truly irritating how dirty
the CCD/CMOS can get even when you are actively trying to keep it
clean.

Old June 24th 04, 12:57 PM
David Kilpatrick

Some Dude wrote:

No dead pixels. Dead blue, green, or red pixels.

I do know what you're referring to. Its truly irritating how dirty
the CCD/CMOS can get even when you are actively trying to keep it
clean.

How can you manage to see blue, green or red dead pixels in a finished
Bayer processed image?

Are you examining the RAW data directly to be able to see these?

David

Old June 24th 04, 01:10 PM
David J Taylor

"David Kilpatrick" wrote in message
[]
How can you manage to see blue, green or red dead pixels in a finished
Bayer processed image?

Are you examining the RAW data directly to be able to see these?

David

David,

It's really simple: you look at the image! Seriously, a Nikon 990 we have
shows a single green dot (as a defective pixel) plus some degradation
around that pixel. This is when viewing the JPEG image. You are correct
in that not only is the single defect apparent, but surrounding pixels are
affected as well.

Cheers,
David

Old June 29th 04, 08:56 AM
Darek

I have got 5 and dust also in a new camera. I send camera to service and
waiting for repeiring.

Old July 10th 04, 12:40 AM
no mail

Your seeing Noise not dead pixels. Did you try using NR setting on the
camera (Custom setting #4)?

What ISO, shutter sped where you using?

If you have Photoshop I developed a neat technique to mask out the noisy
pixels. Repoly to the post of you want additional details.

Brian

Some Dude wrote in
:

Old July 10th 04, 07:41 PM
John S

"no mail" wrote in message
Your seeing Noise not dead pixels. Did you try using NR setting on the
camera (Custom setting #4)?

Could also be dust on the sensor - you do need to deal with dust on DSLRs -
google for dust ccd d100 or hit one of these links
http://www.planetneil.com/nikon/d100-ccd-cleaning.html
http://www.pbase.com/image/15471306

etc.