Using Polarizing Filter With Skylight Filter

Old June 27th 06, 09:08 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default Using Polarizing Filter With Skylight Filter

I just picked up a Hoya 49mm circular polarizer. The question I pose to you
is this, I use Hoya Skylight 1B filters on my 55mm and 135mm lenses. I've
read that with wide angle lenses you shouldn't use additional filters with
the polarizer. But with the 55mm and upwards am I at risk of vignetting if I
use the skylight as well as the polarizer?

Firstly I put the polarizer right over the skylight, but then thought if I
put the skylight over the polarizer it would be good for protection mainly,
but also warming the image slightly since the polarizer loses a stop or
two..
Am I heading for bad news?

Old June 27th 06, 02:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

What kind of plastic do you mean?
I want to get the best performance but also the lowest risk of damaging the
polarizer or the lens itself.
How much does a polarizer degrade the image compared to a skylight filter?

I was under the impression that the skylight filter doesnt detract hardly
anything compared to a polarizer, and a skylight filter could possibly warm
the darker image that the polarizer is providing.

I thought it was worth asking.
thanks for the reply

"Annika1980" wrote in message
oups.com...

Michael Yates wrote:
put the skylight over the polarizer it would be good for protection
mainly,
but also warming the image slightly since the polarizer loses a stop or
two..
Am I heading for bad news?

Why not just wrap the lens in plastic?

Any time you put more glass between the lens and the subject you are
degrading the image. Sometimes the difference is small and may be
unnoticeable, but why risk it?
Shouldn't the goal be to get the best performance you can out of your
lens?

Old June 27th 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Michael Yates" wrote in message
What kind of plastic do you mean?
I want to get the best performance but also the lowest risk of damaging
the polarizer or the lens itself.
How much does a polarizer degrade the image compared to a skylight filter?

I was under the impression that the skylight filter doesnt detract hardly
anything compared to a polarizer, and a skylight filter could possibly
warm the darker image that the polarizer is providing.

I thought it was worth asking.
thanks for the reply

Bret does have a point, after all, the lowest risk of damaging the polarizer
or the lens is to keep them in their boxes and in a safe deposit box
somewhere. But if you want the effects that a filter provides, use a filter.
If you want the effects of multiple filters, use multiple filters. If the
only way that you will feel comfortable enough to walk outside with your
lens is to put a "protective" filter on it, then by all means, put a
protective filter on it. It will affect your image quality, but if that is
the price that you pay for being mentally and emotionally able to get out
and shoot pictures, then so be it. For what it's worth, I have never put a
"protective" filter on any of my lenses and in 25 years of photography have
never damaged a front element, and I'm not the most careful person around. A
lens hood might afford all the protection you need, a watertight case and a
wetsuit might not. Only you can figure that out. Why not try shooting photos
with and without and see if the difference matters to you?

Eric Miller

Old June 27th 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Eric Miller wrote:

Bret does have a point, after all, the lowest risk of damaging the polarizer
or the lens is to keep them in their boxes and in a safe deposit box
somewhere.

What he said! My point was don't be so paranoid. A good lens hood
will keep the dog from licking the lens. A skylight filter is pretty
much useless. You want to protect your lens, use a lens cap.

Having said that, I can see using a skylight filter if you were
shooting a NASCAR race with all the stuff blowing up off the track.
Also, a sandstorm or a hurricane might be other times that a filter
could save the glass from getting scratched, but I don't shoot much of
those either.

As for the light loss and image degradation from a skylight filter, it
is minimal at best. But you could introduce more flare by using one.
Forget the skylight filter.
Use the polaraizer as the protective filter if you must. At least it
serves a second function.

Old June 27th 06, 07:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Michael Yates wrote:
I just picked up a Hoya 49mm circular polarizer. The question I pose to you
is this, I use Hoya Skylight 1B filters on my 55mm and 135mm lenses. I've
read that with wide angle lenses you shouldn't use additional filters with
the polarizer. But with the 55mm and upwards am I at risk of vignetting if I
use the skylight as well as the polarizer?

Shouldn't have a probelem - but film is cheap - try it on a few shots
and see for yourself.

Firstly I put the polarizer right over the skylight, but then thought if I
put the skylight over the polarizer it would be good for protection mainly,
but also warming the image slightly since the polarizer loses a stop or
two..

Love CPs - I do use a skylight or UV filter when not using a "fancy"
filter - just makes sense - the one guy responded he never ruined a
lens - good for him - I'm not rich so a small amount of protectiojn
doesn't hurt - and if I don't want the skylight filter on for the shot
- I take it off, shoot, put it back on.

Now as for a CP and a skylight together - I don't think the skylight
does much for you, and doubtful you'll see any difference with or
without it - but then again - take 2 shots of the same composition,
shutter, and f-stop settings - both with the CP, but one with the
Skylight - see if you see any difference that's worth the effort.

Jim

Old June 27th 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Annika1980 wrote:
Eric Miller wrote:

Bret does have a point, after all, the lowest risk of damaging the polarizer
or the lens is to keep them in their boxes and in a safe deposit box
somewhere.

What he said! My point was don't be so paranoid. A good lens hood
will keep the dog from licking the lens. A skylight filter is pretty
much useless. You want to protect your lens, use a lens cap.

Having said that, I can see using a skylight filter if you were
shooting a NASCAR race with all the stuff blowing up off the track.
Also, a sandstorm or a hurricane might be other times that a filter
could save the glass from getting scratched, but I don't shoot much of
those either.

Some of us have to also worry about salt spray.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/62581512

At times the air is so full of salt spray that it only takes an instant
to give the lens a nice coating of salt.

Scott

Old June 27th 06, 08:14 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Scott W wrote:
Some of us have to also worry about salt spray.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/62581512

At times the air is so full of salt spray that it only takes an instant
to give the lens a nice coating of salt.

Scott

Ahhhh - really - so you live near the beach - lucky dog! Are these salt
sprays a result of crashing waves and the breeze? I assume that there
is the added worry of sand in those breezes?

Old June 27th 06, 08:57 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Jimbo wrote:
Scott W wrote:
Some of us have to also worry about salt spray.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/62581512

At times the air is so full of salt spray that it only takes an instant
to give the lens a nice coating of salt.

Scott

Ahhhh - really - so you live near the beach - lucky dog! Are these salt
sprays a result of crashing waves and the breeze? I assume that there
is the added worry of sand in those breezes?

Very little sand seems to get in the air even at the beachs, we just
don't get the very strong winds that are needed to kick up the sand
very often.

But yes the salt gets in the air from crashing waves, and pretty much
the waves are always crashing to some extent and there is pretty much
always some salt in the air.

At night you can see the spray drifting across the road when it is lit
up by headlights.

Scott

Old June 27th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...
Jimbo wrote:
Scott W wrote:
[...]

Yes....And it gets in the underbody of your automobiles, and, in fact, into
every piece of equipment you own, from lawnmowers to Leicas........

Old June 27th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

William Graham wrote:
"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...
Jimbo wrote:
Scott W wrote:
[...]

Yup, everything rusts here.

Of course we also have the volcano putting out 1,000 tons of sulfur
dioxide each day so that does not help either.

Scott