Inferior grey market Tamron lens warning

Old July 26th 12, 04:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Mike[_25_]

Default Inferior grey market Tamron lens warning

On 26/07/2012 8:48 AM, RichA wrote:
http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...tampering-scam

The only problem with Grey Market Tamron lenses is Tamron USA didn't
make any money on them, end of story. It is unlikely they are used, or
somehow are production seconds. The forged warranty cards is an issue.

--
Mike
Old July 26th 12, 08:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Martin Brown

On 26/07/2012 16:48, Mike wrote:
On 26/07/2012 8:48 AM, RichA wrote:
http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...tampering-scam

The only problem with Grey Market Tamron lenses is Tamron USA didn't
make any money on them, end of story. It is unlikely they are used, or
somehow are production seconds. The forged warranty cards is an issue.

This is a FUD scheme by Tamron USA and their Japanese ringmasters to
keep the retail price high and find / eliminate grey market dealers.

The only thing wrong with kit bought in another country is that the
warranty may be invalid where you live. That is a risk you take when
buying optics or any other kit from overseas or as a grey import.

Martin Brown

Old July 26th 12, 10:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 11:48:41 -0400, Mike wrote:

On 26/07/2012 8:48 AM, RichA wrote:
http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...tampering-scam

The only problem with Grey Market Tamron lenses is Tamron USA didn't
make any money on them, end of story. It is unlikely they are used, or
somehow are production seconds. The forged warranty cards is an issue.

So too is the removal of serial numbers. I have to wonder why they
want to cover their tracks.

Eric Stevens
Old July 27th 12, 05:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Rob

On 27/07/2012 7:20 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 11:48:41 -0400, Mike wrote:

On 26/07/2012 8:48 AM, RichA wrote:
http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...tampering-scam

The only problem with Grey Market Tamron lenses is Tamron USA didn't
make any money on them, end of story. It is unlikely they are used, or
somehow are production seconds. The forged warranty cards is an issue.

So too is the removal of serial numbers. I have to wonder why they
want to cover their tracks.

I wouldn't buy a lens from a retailer with an altered or removed serial
number. Or for that matter pawn shop.

Wondering if it is possible to recover a removed serial number
forensically which has been engraved into plastic?
Old July 27th 12, 06:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 14:58:15 +1000, Rob wrote:

On 27/07/2012 7:20 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 11:48:41 -0400, Mike wrote:

On 26/07/2012 8:48 AM, RichA wrote:
http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...tampering-scam

The only problem with Grey Market Tamron lenses is Tamron USA didn't
make any money on them, end of story. It is unlikely they are used, or
somehow are production seconds. The forged warranty cards is an issue.

So too is the removal of serial numbers. I have to wonder why they
want to cover their tracks.

I wouldn't buy a lens from a retailer with an altered or removed serial
number. Or for that matter pawn shop.

Wondering if it is possible to recover a removed serial number
forensically which has been engraved into plastic?

It's possible. It's not easy and I would not like to try and do it on
an assembled lens.

Eric Stevens
Old July 27th 12, 01:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Mike[_25_]

On 27/07/2012 12:58 AM, Rob wrote:
On 27/07/2012 7:20 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 11:48:41 -0400, Mike wrote:

On 26/07/2012 8:48 AM, RichA wrote:
http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...tampering-scam

The only problem with Grey Market Tamron lenses is Tamron USA didn't
make any money on them, end of story. It is unlikely they are used, or
somehow are production seconds. The forged warranty cards is an issue.

So too is the removal of serial numbers. I have to wonder why they
want to cover their tracks.

I wouldn't buy a lens from a retailer with an altered or removed serial
number. Or for that matter pawn shop.

Wondering if it is possible to recover a removed serial number
forensically which has been engraved into plastic?

Why not have a second serial number hidden internally, or in an embedded
RFID tag?

--
Mike
Old July 27th 12, 08:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 14:58:15 +1000, Rob wrote:
: Wondering if it is possible to recover a removed serial number
: forensically which has been engraved into plastic?

In this day and age I'd almost assume that the serial number is replicated
somewhere on the inside of the body, accessible only by dismantling the
inwards of the camera.

Bob
Old July 27th 12, 08:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

:
[...]

I had the same thought, but you beat me to it. I should have read the waiting
messages before replying.

Bob