$1000 for a 15mm AIS Nikkor!

Old September 2nd 04, 03:41 PM
Dallas

Default $1000 for a 15mm AIS Nikkor!

I see one on KEH for a grand. Looks like a stunner, but is that price
worth it? Are there any alternatives?

--
Dallas www.dallasdahms.com
"Going down a dirty inner city side road I plotted

Old September 2nd 04, 06:52 PM
Stephen H. Westin

Dallas writes:

I see one on KEH for a grand. Looks like a stunner, but is that price
worth it? Are there any alternatives?

See Ken Rockwell's review at http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/1535.htm.
Brief synopsis:
o it's probably wider than you need or want
o it's very susceptible to flare
o sharpness isn't bad.

He also suggests several alternatives, ranging from Tokina to the
Nikkor 14mm f/2.8 AF.

--
-Stephen H. Westin

Old September 2nd 04, 07:56 PM
David Dyer-Bennet

(Stephen H. Westin) writes:

Dallas writes:

I see one on KEH for a grand. Looks like a stunner, but is that price
worth it? Are there any alternatives?

See Ken Rockwell's review at http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/1535.htm.
Brief synopsis:
o it's probably wider than you need or want

These days, people may be wanting to run it on a D100/d70/Fuji S2,
where it's not nearly as likely to be wider than you need or want. (I
had a 17mm before I got a DSLR; I admit that I didn't have any strong
desire for anything wider until after I got the DSLR.)

He also suggests several alternatives, ranging from Tokina to the
Nikkor 14mm f/2.8 AF.

And let's not forget the Sigma 12-24mm.

Old September 2nd 04, 08:49 PM
Dallas

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 13:52:18 -0400, Stephen H. Westin wrote:

Dallas writes:

I see one on KEH for a grand. Looks like a stunner, but is that price
worth it? Are there any alternatives?

See Ken Rockwell's review at http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/1535.htm.
Brief synopsis:
o it's probably wider than you need or want
o it's very susceptible to flare
o sharpness isn't bad.

He also suggests several alternatives, ranging from Tokina to the
Nikkor 14mm f/2.8 AF.

Thanks Stephen.

I will investigate the 14mm f/2.8 but I am looking for a rectilinear ultra
wide angle. Isn't the 14mm a fisheye?

BTW, I take everything Ken Rockwell says with a big bag of salt. Moreover,
I don't even visit his site anymore since he started filling it with
banners and other pop-up **** that lead to porno site and spyware loaders.

Old September 2nd 04, 09:14 PM
Stephen H. Westin

Dallas writes:

I see one on KEH for a grand. Looks like a stunner, but is that price
worth it? Are there any alternatives?

See Ken Rockwell's review at http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/1535.htm.
Brief synopsis:
o it's probably wider than you need or want
o it's very susceptible to flare
o sharpness isn't bad.

He also suggests several alternatives, ranging from Tokina to the
Nikkor 14mm f/2.8 AF.

Thanks Stephen.

I will investigate the 14mm f/2.8 but I am looking for a rectilinear ultra
wide angle. Isn't the 14mm a fisheye?

Nope, that would be the AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D. See
http://nikonimaging.com/global/products/lens/af/wideangle/af_14mmf_28d/.
Rackwell claims very little distortion in the 14mm AF lens, and even
less in the 15mm AI-s.

BTW, I take everything Ken Rockwell says with a big bag of salt. Moreover,
I don't even visit his site anymore since he started filling it with
banners and other pop-up **** that lead to porno site and spyware loaders.

Yeah, I meant to warn others that they were heading into pop-up heaven.

--
-Stephen H. Westin

Old September 2nd 04, 09:52 PM
Gordon Moat

Dallas wrote:

I see one on KEH for a grand. Looks like a stunner, but is that price
worth it? Are there any alternatives?

Definitely. If you really want better results, and lower cost, get a
Voigtländer 15 mm (under $350). All you really need then is an old Leica
body, a low cost Bessa-L body (under $100), or a Bessa-T (under $200). I
have seen quite a few sample images from using that lens, and it is
easily the best 15 mm results I have ever seen.

Check out more information, and pricing at http://www.cameraquest.com

That 15 mm has so much DoF, that see through the lens is not necessary.
Using a shoe mount finder works quite well with such a wide view.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com/gallery.html Updated!