Back to the IR light source concept...

Old August 11th 04, 05:18 PM
Don Bruder

Default Back to the IR light source concept...

In article ,
(Chris Hodges) wrote:

I modelled the blackbody curves in excel, and you're right, by quite a
margin - I don't know whether the power requirement or the IR output
would fall faster for a given emitter as you drop the temperature
(assuming temperature control for convenience) so it might not even
save battery life.

Nice to find out that the numbers match my world picture Seriously!
I was having a hard time swallowing the idea that IR output would
increase (in any way other than relative to the amount of visible light)
due to a voltage drop.

The maglite could be a good way to go - the focussing output would

seem to help, even if you have a diffuser effect from the vis blocking
filter.

Indeed. I'm thinking that no matter what the raw light source ends up
being, whether a "pure IR" source without filtering, or a filter system
in front of a visble source, it will be mandatory to have a
variable-focus beam.

Did you ever try multiple visible gel filters - these tend to be cheap
(I seem to remember ?10 (~$18)/sq foot), and for a maglite even
offcuts would be enough, so even cheaper if you have a friendly
theatrical/DJ supplies shop that does stage lighting.

That has been suggested, but at this point, I've done nothing with it.
At the very least, it seems to me that it would be worth trying.

I can have a look with a lamp and digital camera later. With anything
less than hundreds of watts they'll last forever.

Hmmm... maybe it's just me and my misinformation, but I've always been
under the impression that gels are the "cheap to buy this one, but
expensive as hell in the long term due to needing frequent replacement"
solution. My limited time "on the boards" (credited in the program as
"Soldier with a line" - chuckle) in a 6 week run of Jesus Christ
Superstar at a local playhouse showed me a lighting guy *CONSTANTLY*
griping about needing to chase up into the flys to replace gels -
sometimes before each run of the show, and particularly the reds. From
that, I reached the conclusion that gels are, at best, a "make-do",
rather than a permanent solution. And the prices... choke At one
point, I overheard him saying something like "There goes another hundred
bucks" while he was working on cutting a blue one to shape.

--
Don Bruder -
- New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.

Old August 11th 04, 05:28 PM
John Fields

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 19:48:24 GMT, Don Bruder wrote:

Hmmm... that one has possibilities, though I cringe at the idea of how
much $$ it will take to get ahold of the stuff... When looking at
IR-transmitting photographic filters, I was routinely spotting prices in
the $150-$200/6 inch square range for plastic filters - Which is why I
ended up going with a "make-do" chopped out of a black CD-R. Even the
gell filters (which are very likely to have *VERY* short working
lifespans) to transmit IR were ridiculously priced - a 70MM round was
tagged at $89, fergawdsake! My budget (which is mostly imaginary,
practically speaking) for this project can't even CONSIDER those kind of
prices! And glass? HAH! If I can't afford the "cheap" gells and/or
plastic, then I don't even need to consider glass, since that seems to
routinely be about 130-200% more expensive than the corresponding
plastic filter.

Now to see if I can find someplace that will tell me how much this
"Acrylite" stuff costs... I note a glaring lack of any reference to
pricing for it at the link you posted. Most often, I've found that
situation to be a red-flag for "If you need to ask "how much?", it's
more than you can afford. Have a nice day, and don't let the door hit
you in the arse as you leave." materials.

---
Cyro makes the stuff, and sells it through distribution, so you may
want to check with one of your local plasic suppliers to see if they
can help you out. Also, Cyro has a list of their distributors on
their web site, so you may want to check that out.
---

Still, now that I know the stuff exists, I might be able to find
someplace that sells it in reasonable quantities, at reasonable prices.
More investigation is in order, obviously...

---
I have a small quantity on hand and, depending on how much you need,
might be able to help you out at my cost plus freight. (Or a straight
swap for a bottle of a decent Chardonnay?-)

Email me if you're interested.

--
John Fields

Old August 11th 04, 06:52 PM
Don Bruder

In article ,
John Fields wrote:

[...]

We might just get something going, though it will likely be cash, since
I wouldn't know a decent chardonnay from vinegar if it walked up and
introduced itself to me. I'm basically a teetotaller - the "non
preaching" kind - mainly due to lack of any interest. By my own personal
drinking habits, buying a six-pack of Guinness, or, in a pinch, Bud
long-necks, and killing it off inside of six months qualifies as a
"major bender".

Keep an eye on your in-box...

Old August 12th 04, 02:36 PM
Chris Hodges

Don Bruder wrote in message ...
Hmmm... maybe it's just me and my misinformation, but I've always been
under the impression that gels are the "cheap to buy this one, but
expensive as hell in the long term due to needing frequent replacement"
solution. My limited time "on the boards" (credited in the program as
"Soldier with a line" - chuckle) in a 6 week run of Jesus Christ
Superstar at a local playhouse showed me a lighting guy *CONSTANTLY*
griping about needing to chase up into the flys to replace gels -
sometimes before each run of the show, and particularly the reds. From
that, I reached the conclusion that gels are, at best, a "make-do",
rather than a permanent solution. And the prices... choke At one
point, I overheard him saying something like "There goes another hundred
bucks" while he was working on cutting a blue one to shape.

He was probably chucking approx 0.5-2kW at the gel, which was
transmitting 10% of the visible light (and not much IR in many
cases). As far as his prices, I don't know - he'd probably just
finished a roll. You should be fine so long as you avoid those linear
halogen "security" type floodlights - they burn all but the high temp
gel.
See
http://www.leefiltersusa.com/LightPr...iceSheet.html#
for pricing (US)
Looking at the transmission curves in the swatch book, which go up to
800nm, the following 2 combinations could work
141+027
172+198+027

The 027 is a red with ~2% visible transmission.

I don't know about getting hold of some, but $14 at list price doens't
seem too bad - with plenty to spare.

I tried both with a mini maglite, but my digital camera can hardly see
any IR (spot from a recmote control in a darkened room is faint even
if pointed straight at the camera) so I couldn't see anything. Both
combinations appeared dull red - but then so does "invisible" 785nm
laser light.

Chris