Digital photo management and storage question

Old July 8th 04, 12:31 AM
Sabineellen

Default Digital photo management and storage question

The backups, or the originals? I use Thumbs Plus from Cerious
Software to index what's on the hard disk, but I don't index the
backup copies (which are mostly in a backup program archive format,
not directly readable).

Picasa is quite nice (usability) for JPGs.

Old July 8th 04, 04:06 AM
David Dyer-Bennet

dy (Bill Hilton) writes:

We only archive the RAW files ourselves.

From: David Dyer-Bennet

The RAW formats are, however, proprietary. You should be sure to make
good archive copies of the software that understands them, too. It's
*likely* that they are now important enough that lots of future
software will understand them, but...

"Proprietary" in the sense of writing them, but anyone can make a
reader for them ... right now I have the Canon software that shipped
with the cameras, Photoshop CS Raw converter (which keeps adding
more cameras with every rev) and Capture One SE, which is what I
actually use, so there's no shortage of converters out there, at
least for the cameras I use.

They're not directly supported in the majority of imaging programs, is
the point.

If you have some odd-ball format or poorly supported camera I can
see this as a more serious problem, but not with the mainstream
models ...

That's what I was referring to by saying they *likely* will be
suported in the future.

(Of course the TIFF is probably *larger* than the RAW).

"Probably"? Have you ever actually done a conversion and looked at
the sizes? Canon 1Ds RAW is about 8-10 MB depending on compression,
the 8 bit tiff is 32,485 KB and the 12 bit tiff is 64,998 KB.

In my case it also depends on the conversion options. I can select
resulting size, and also whether it's 16-bit or 8-bit. My original
RAW files are about 23MB, the TIFF can range up to nearly 72MB (that's
if I opt for the full interpolated 12 mega-pixel conversion, so I
generally don't). (My camera is a Fuji S2).

If I select 8-bit and one of the smaller sizes, I believe it can
actually be smaller.

But to be *really* honest, I said "probably" more to cover all the
cameras I *don't* know anything about than to describe any specific
camea.