picture resolution

Old August 1st 07, 12:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Bowden

Default picture resolution

I want to print 4X6 photos and maintain good resolution. The original
JPG files from my 'cannon power shot 460' vary around 1.2 to 2 megs.
When I load these photos into photoshop, the dimensions vary from
36X27 inches to 22X16 at 72 pixels per inch.

If I change the image size in photoshop to 4X6 inches and 72 pix per
inch, producing a much smaller file, will I get the same resolution on
the small print that I would get on a larger 36X27?

Is there any advantage to adjusting the pix/inch to a higher number
above 72, or will the printer at WalMart be able to use it?

Thanks,

-Bill

Old August 1st 07, 12:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gary Eickmeier

Bill Bowden wrote:
I want to print 4X6 photos and maintain good resolution. The original
JPG files from my 'cannon power shot 460' vary around 1.2 to 2 megs.
When I load these photos into photoshop, the dimensions vary from
36X27 inches to 22X16 at 72 pixels per inch.

If I change the image size in photoshop to 4X6 inches and 72 pix per
inch, producing a much smaller file, will I get the same resolution on
the small print that I would get on a larger 36X27?

Is there any advantage to adjusting the pix/inch to a higher number
above 72, or will the printer at WalMart be able to use it?

You've got the wrong idea here. You don't resample your images to
downsize them, you just change the inches dimensions, and let the
program increase the pixel pitch accordingly. If you aren't getting more
ppi at the smaller sizes, then you are doing something wrong or your
photo program is ****. Recommend Photoshop Elements.

Gary Eickmeier
Old August 1st 07, 12:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

Bill Bowden wrote:
I want to print 4X6 photos and maintain good resolution. The original
JPG files from my 'cannon power shot 460' vary around 1.2 to 2 megs.
When I load these photos into photoshop, the dimensions vary from
36X27 inches to 22X16 at 72 pixels per inch.

If I change the image size in photoshop to 4X6 inches and 72 pix per
inch, producing a much smaller file, will I get the same resolution on
the small print that I would get on a larger 36X27?

Is there any advantage to adjusting the pix/inch to a higher number
above 72, or will the printer at WalMart be able to use it?

Thanks,

-Bill

The 72 number is applicable to the monitor, which will always display
the same pixel per inch depending on the settings. Forget it.
What you are looking for is the file data. For a 4x6 print 1600x1200 or
higher resolution is fine. From the file size you quote sounds like you
are shooting a little higher than that. Just crop to select the content
you want to retain. Not familiar with PS but aim to crop to a 3:2 ratio
and the print will be pretty much what you see on the monitor.
Dave Cohen
Old August 1st 07, 01:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 16:23:30 -0700, Bill Bowden wrote:

I want to print 4X6 photos and maintain good resolution. The original
JPG files from my 'cannon power shot 460' vary around 1.2 to 2 megs.
When I load these photos into photoshop, the dimensions vary from
36X27 inches to 22X16 at 72 pixels per inch.

If I change the image size in photoshop to 4X6 inches and 72 pix per
inch, producing a much smaller file, will I get the same resolution on
the small print that I would get on a larger 36X27?

Is there any advantage to adjusting the pix/inch to a higher number
above 72, or will the printer at WalMart be able to use it?

They should print fine, as is.

Thanks,

-Bill

Old August 1st 07, 01:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Victek

Is there any advantage to adjusting the pix/inch to a higher number
above 72, or will the printer at WalMart be able to use it?

You don't need to mess with the ppi at all. Just crop the pictures to the 4
x 6 aspect ratio. If you don't crop them the way you want in advance the
machine at Wal-mart will crop them for you, and the result may not be what
you expect.

Old August 1st 07, 02:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Bill Bowden wrote:
I want to print 4X6 photos and maintain good resolution. The original
JPG files from my 'cannon power shot 460' vary around 1.2 to 2 megs.
When I load these photos into photoshop, the dimensions vary from
36X27 inches to 22X16 at 72 pixels per inch.

If I change the image size in photoshop to 4X6 inches and 72 pix per
inch, producing a much smaller file, will I get the same resolution on
the small print that I would get on a larger 36X27?

No, and please don't do that! You'd do that only for web display or
E-mailing a small image.

You are best off not resizing at all unless you are over 400 or so ppi.

Is there any advantage to adjusting the pix/inch to a higher number
above 72, or will the printer at WalMart be able to use it?

PPI means little for monitor display in PS, as most default settings
will show the whole image.

OTOH, you might want to check "Unsampled" in Image Size in PS, and set
it to a ppi such as 300; the size in inches will then appear as a more
realistic number. That will also allow you to get used to pixel
dimensions and allow you to, ah, size up a photo for its printing
potential at high rez.

--
john mcwilliams
Old August 1st 07, 05:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Bowden

On Jul 31, 6:22 pm, John McWilliams wrote:
Bill Bowden wrote:
I want to print 4X6 photos and maintain good resolution. The original
JPG files from my 'cannon power shot 460' vary around 1.2 to 2 megs.
When I load these photos into photoshop, the dimensions vary from
36X27 inches to 22X16 at 72 pixels per inch.

If I change the image size in photoshop to 4X6 inches and 72 pix per
inch, producing a much smaller file, will I get the same resolution on
the small print that I would get on a larger 36X27?

No, and please don't do that! You'd do that only for web display or
E-mailing a small image.

You are best off not resizing at all unless you are over 400 or so ppi.

I need to resize because I want to copy and paste picture segments
from different pictures into a new one. Some of the segments need to
be larger, and others smaller.

Is there any advantage to adjusting the pix/inch to a higher number
above 72, or will the printer at WalMart be able to use it?

PPI means little for monitor display in PS, as most default settings
will show the whole image.

OTOH, you might want to check "Unsampled" in Image Size in PS, and set
it to a ppi such as 300; the size in inches will then appear as a more
realistic number. That will also allow you to get used to pixel
dimensions and allow you to, ah, size up a photo for its printing
potential at high rez.

If I set pix/inch to 400, with resample off, the size reduces to 6.5 X
4.8 inches, but the filesize is still huge at 650K. Do I really need
that much resolution for the printer at Wal-Mart, or will a picture at
72 pix/inch look just as good?
What are the limits of the "One Hour Photo" printers?

-Bill

--
john mcwilliams

Old August 1st 07, 05:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Bill Bowden wrote:
[...]

No, 72 ppi will suck. One easy way is to set a crop at 4 x 6 at 300 ppi;
then your chances for a good print increase. Also, set for sRGB if not
already in that color space.

BTW, fwiw, 650 K is a tiny size for many print jobs,tho not for 4 x 6's
Good luck!

--
John McWilliams
Old August 1st 07, 07:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob Williams

Bill Bowden wrote:
I want to print 4X6 photos and maintain good resolution. The original
JPG files from my 'cannon power shot 460' vary around 1.2 to 2 megs.
When I load these photos into photoshop, the dimensions vary from
36X27 inches to 22X16 at 72 pixels per inch.

If I change the image size in photoshop to 4X6 inches and 72 pix per
inch, producing a much smaller file, will I get the same resolution on
the small print that I would get on a larger 36X27?

Is there any advantage to adjusting the pix/inch to a higher number
above 72, or will the printer at WalMart be able to use it?

Thanks,

-Bill

Choose the CROP tool.
Set it for 6"x 4"
Set the RESOLUTION to 300 ppi. (400 ppi is ok but is probably overkill).
Crop the picture just the way you like it.
Voila! Your image will print at exactly 4" X 6" and 300 ppi.
Some commercial printers can utilize 400 ppi, and some can't.
If it can't, it will resample your image to 300ppi or whatever is the
maximum resolution it can handle.
You will NOT be able to tell the difference between a 6x4 printed at
300ppi or 400ppi.
Bob Williams

Bob Williams
Old August 1st 07, 02:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ray Paseur[_3_]

Bill Bowden wrote in news:1185924210.534061.86490
@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

I want to print 4X6 photos and maintain good resolution. The original
JPG files from my 'cannon power shot 460' vary around 1.2 to 2 megs.
When I load these photos into photoshop, the dimensions vary from
36X27 inches to 22X16 at 72 pixels per inch.

If I change the image size in photoshop to 4X6 inches and 72 pix per
inch, producing a much smaller file, will I get the same resolution on
the small print that I would get on a larger 36X27?

Is there any advantage to adjusting the pix/inch to a higher number
above 72, or will the printer at WalMart be able to use it?

Thanks,

-Bill

Bill: the rest of the advice in this thread looks pretty good and I won't
dwell on that, but I have some experience with Costco printing (not
Walmart) that I'd be glad to share. Go visit your retailer and talk to the
folks who run the photo print shop. Explain what you've got and what you'd
like to achieve. They will be glad to help you establish a workflow that
will get you picture-perfect results every time. I have found Costco's
machines to be perfectly profiled and they give me spot-on color. Can't
speak for Walmart, but I would expect similar, highly professional results.
Good luck!