Teleconverters

Old May 15th 06, 06:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Teleconverters

I'd like to buy a 1.4X telextender for a Canon
telephoto lens. My choice comes down to the
Canon 1.4X or the Kenko 1.4X.

Any reason to buy the more expensive Canon other
than brand name?

----- Paul J. Gans
Old May 15th 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Paul J Gans" wrote in message
I'd like to buy a 1.4X telextender for a Canon
telephoto lens. My choice comes down to the
Canon 1.4X or the Kenko 1.4X.

Any reason to buy the more expensive Canon other
than brand name?

See my post in the other group.

Learn how to crosspost*.

* = That's what they always tell me when I do the same. :-)

Old May 15th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

In message ,
Paul J Gans wrote:

I'd like to buy a 1.4X telextender for a Canon
telephoto lens. My choice comes down to the
Canon 1.4X or the Kenko 1.4X.

Any reason to buy the more expensive Canon other
than brand name?

Nope. The Kenko Pro 300 1.4x is about as good as they get. I use one
with my 100-400IS, and there is no visible loss of contrast, or any kind
of distortion. It is good enough that I opt to zoom out instead of
removing it, unless lighting gets really low and I need that stop back.
The Canon TC is only useful with select Canon telephotos; you can use
the Kenko with almost any lens, although it starts to get soft and
distorted in the corners of a 1.6x-crop if you use wide-angle lenses,
wide open, with it. You can use the Kenko with macro lenses, too, to
get more magnification
--

John P Sheehy

Old May 16th 06, 03:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Most of the 3rd-party TCs tend to be pretty soft.
The exception is the Sigma APO 1.4x.
After that, go with the brand name.
The other respondent's comments are also worthy of note.
(I've never tried a Kenko Pro 300.)

Collin
KC8TKA

Old May 16th 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" wrote:
wrote:
In message ,
Paul J Gans wrote:

I'd like to buy a 1.4X telextender for a Canon
telephoto lens. My choice comes down to the
Canon 1.4X or the Kenko 1.4X.

Any reason to buy the more expensive Canon other
than brand name?

Nope. The Kenko Pro 300 1.4x is about as good as they get. I use one
with my 100-400IS, and there is no visible loss of contrast, or any kind
of distortion. It is good enough that I opt to zoom out instead of
removing it, unless lighting gets really low and I need that stop back.
The Canon TC is only useful with select Canon telephotos; you can use
the Kenko with almost any lens, although it starts to get soft and
distorted in the corners of a 1.6x-crop if you use wide-angle lenses,
wide open, with it. You can use the Kenko with macro lenses, too, to
get more magnification

I second this. Be sure you get the pro 300, not just any kenko.

You can see many images on my web site. When it says 1.4x or
2x TCs, they are kenko pro 300 TCs:
http://www.clarkvision.com
Check the birds and bear galleries, as the TCs are used there a lot.

Thanks. That helps a good bit.

I've seen your bear pictures. They are fantastic!

----- Paul J. Gans
Old May 16th 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
wrote:

Nope. The Kenko Pro 300 1.4x is about as good as they get. I use one
with my 100-400IS, and there is no visible loss of contrast, or any kind
of distortion. It is good enough that I opt to zoom out instead of
removing it, unless lighting gets really low and I need that stop back.
The Canon TC is only useful with select Canon telephotos; you can use
the Kenko with almost any lens, although it starts to get soft and
distorted in the corners of a 1.6x-crop if you use wide-angle lenses,
wide open, with it. You can use the Kenko with macro lenses, too, to
get more magnification

Better be careful that the rear glass element of your lens doesn't smash into
the teleconverter glass for wide angle lenses. Most documentation suggests
not to use a lens shorter than, IIRC, 50mm.

Thanks. My intended use was with a telephoto, but it is good to
know that I could use it with a 50mm or longer. That could save
me having to carry too much when just "walking around".

--- Paul J. Gans
Old May 16th 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

G.T. wrote:

"Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" wrote in
message ...
wrote:
In message ,
Paul J Gans wrote:

I'd like to buy a 1.4X telextender for a Canon
telephoto lens. My choice comes down to the
Canon 1.4X or the Kenko 1.4X.

Any reason to buy the more expensive Canon other
than brand name?

Nope. The Kenko Pro 300 1.4x is about as good as they get. I use one
with my 100-400IS, and there is no visible loss of contrast, or any kind
of distortion. It is good enough that I opt to zoom out instead of
removing it, unless lighting gets really low and I need that stop back.
The Canon TC is only useful with select Canon telephotos; you can use
the Kenko with almost any lens, although it starts to get soft and
distorted in the corners of a 1.6x-crop if you use wide-angle lenses,
wide open, with it. You can use the Kenko with macro lenses, too, to
get more magnification

I second this. Be sure you get the pro 300, not just any kenko.

I should have asked this earlier and directly to JPS but what does he mean
by "The Canon TC is only useful with select Canon telephotos"? What are the
benefits of using the Canon TC on those select lenses?

I can provide one answer (JPS will, I'm sure, give his). Canon
has a page (sorry, no URL) somewhere that lists the lenses that
their TC will work with. It is not large and does not include
much below a 70-200 mm lens, if I recall correctly.

---- Paul J. Gans